• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Walkthroughs

Aizuke

[b]long sword style[/b]
Years
Do you ever use walkthroughs for games?

Do you use them when you're in trouble, or stuck in a particular part of the game, or you use them just to make your gaming experience easier?

I don't use walkthroughs, unless I'm really really stuck in a game. I'd rather find everything myself out. But once I finish a game, I'll use one so I can complete the game 100%.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
Years
I don't ever buy Walkthroughs, but I do skim through Gamefaqs when I reach a point in a game that I simply can't beat.

moments.

quixotic
Years
Um I don't normally use them but then I don't play a lot of games..
Only if it is for a reference or a specific part of the game. I never use them before completing the game though..

Persona

Banned
Years
I only make usage of them I need to collect certain missable items. Otherwise, I always venture around in games without walkthroughs, even if I get stuck. I usually figure out how to advance in the story anyway. :<

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen yesterday
No, I don't use at all... Though, if I get very stuck, I just go to handy-dandy Gamfaqs! ;)

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
I used to buy Nintendo Power player's guides because I liked the pictures. But the quality of the guides progressively got worse during the GCN era, so I stopped. I only pick up collectible Prima ones now.

I'll take a glance on and a while on GameFAQs if I'm stuck on something for an extended period of time - say a week or two. Or if I want to unlock something secret but don't know the criteria that has to be met.

Eon-Rider

An "Original" PC Supporter
Years
The only time I've ever had to use a walkthrough is for the Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice games.

Caelus

Gone
Years
  • Seen May 26, 2013
I used to buy NP guides all the time, mostly because of how colorful they were.
After they quit making guides I relied far too much on IGN, Gamefaqs, and Gamespot, and even now I view theirs from time to time.
Nowadays I only view them just for the pleasure of reading them.

Last edited:

Akeraz

Winning is Magic
Years
It depends, really. Normally, I'll just use GameFAQ's.
But i used the guide for FF12. Only reason I had the guide was because I was offered the collector's edition at a HIGHLY reduced price.

Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2017
I almost never use a walkthrough while playing the game, unless I'm seriously stuck and haven't been able to solve it within some days.

But after I finish the game I use a walkthrough, mostly as a checklist to see if I've done everything.
You see, I'm kinda like a perfectionist, and more than that, I love creating perfect savegames!

Fox♠

Banned
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen May 16, 2011
I do from time to time on really hard games or when I want to find certain things.

Years
I use walkthroughs when I'm too lazy to actually think hard of what to do next in a tight spot
I use them rather generously when I get stuck, although I tryto avoid using them wherever possible. I figure that I'm better off checking the faq when I get stuck rather than spending 40 mins wandering around. What can I say? Some games just don't have a logical progression.

Kraka-chan

From the Kraka Club
Years
I mostly use walkthroughs from the Internet, simply because it is free. Even then, I only tend to use them when I'm well and truly stuck in a certain part in a game.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
Unless I've been stuck on something for literally hours, I won't use a walkthrough on my first playthrough. Usually when I'm stuck I find out I wasn't paying attention to a veeery little snippet of dialogue and it turns out I'm supposed to be somewhere else or something. XD; But yeah, I kind of feel like it's cheating if I look at a walkthrough.

I have no qualms using one the second time I play a game. For RPGs especially, the first time I play I'm getting a feel for the game and just beating it. Any sidequests I do are the ones I bumped into by accident. Then my second playthrough I'll pull up a guide and go for completion because especially in JRPGs, it's waaaay too easy to miss talking to one hidden NPC and then you're stuck not being able to do an epic sidequest. 8| I do sometimes read guides on GameFAQs during a first playthrough though. If there's an aspect of the gameplay I don't understand but has nothing to do with plot and could actually be ignored, I don't have a problem looking it up.

I rarely buy physical guides. When I do it's mostly for the pictures, though I do like buying Japanese guides more--they're so much thicker and more useful... assuming they aren't too hard to translate. :(

Back