• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mom Sends Son, Jihad,Wearing T-shirt That Says "I Am A Bomb" & "Born On Sept. 11"

Oshy

♩♫♩
Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2013
    A French woman told a court that she simply wasn't thinking when she sent her 3-year-old son to kindergarten wearing a T-shirt reading "Jihad, born September 11" on the back and "I am a bomb" on the front, French media reported Thursday.
    The woman, Boucha Bagour, 34, and her brother, Zeyad Bagour, 29, could be fined 1,000 and 3,000 euros ($1,300 and $3,900), respectively, when their trial on charges of "apologizing for terrorism" resumes next month, the newspaper Le Parisien reported. Both have pleaded not guilty.
    At a hearing Wednesday near Avignon, Bagour, a single mother, said she dressed her son — who really is named Jihad and who she said really was born on Sept. 11 — "without thinking about it" last September. She was charged after teachers and the principal complained to authorities.
    "I thought it might make people laugh," she said, according to Le Parisien.
    Zeyad Bagour, the boy's uncle, who is also charged because he bought the T-shirt, said he, too, didn't think there was a problem. The French phrase "je suis une bombe" — literally, "I am a bomb" — is a slang expression of self-regard, and "to me, it means 'I am beautiful,'" he said, adding, that T-shirts with the slogan are widely available in Avignon's markets.
    The T-shirts are also widely available for sale online. They're even sold by American Apparel.
    The Bagours' lawyer put it more bluntly, telling the court, according to the newspaper, that if they truly meant to support terrorism, they picked a poor venue, noting that the class was filled with kindergartners "who cannot read."
    In an interview with the newspaper La Provence in November, Boucha Bagour said that while she is Muslim, "there is no message to be conveyed by the T-shirt — no intent."
    "'Bomb' is used in the sense of 'handsome,' nothing more," she said. "And my son was actually born on September 11."
    "It's just a simple phrase on a T-shirt," she said. "It's nothing dangerous."
    http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/...+Ranvijaysin/RanvijaysinNews+(RanvijaysinNews

So, this news is a little old, but it has some good discussion value. Your thoughts?

Years
  • Wow, what was going through this moms mind when she named her kid that? It seems like she either just wanted to see if she could or the word has a different meaning in french.

Okay, I'll admit that I have no real problem with the shirt but then again, I'm not someone who would normally find this offensive, at least not past face value, especially if I knew the kids name and his birth date. I don't really see how they can be charged with apologizing for terrorism. Of course, I don't really know what that charge encompasses but it seems to have offending people with black humor under its umbrella.

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I can see why it would be considered offensive. It probably wasnt originally supposed to be but was considered such when he went to school. I dont think she really supports terrorism but this probably was not the thing to send her kid to school wearing.

Sir Codin

Reminds me of my cousin teaching his kid to run up to people, slap them, and say "Jihad."

The guy can be funny at times, but I often hope he's never serious.

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 9, 2022
    Just a tiny misunderstanding, I think. I don't think they are supporting terrorism or anything, considering the French were fighting al-Queda in Mali a while back.

Crux

Evermore
    Years
  • Lol, more people blowing things out of proportion.
    If anything it's just a strange coincidence.
    I mean, what, they plotted out the exact day their kid would be born, named him after a terrorist, and bought him a t-shirt that probably hadn't even been thought about then?
    Sorry, that just seems unlikely to me.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I think had the shirt just said "I'm the bomb" (replace "une" with "la"?) and didn't have the part about being born on Sept. 11, it wouldn't have been taken so out of proportion. I don't know why you'd want a shirt that has your birthday on it though...seems strange to me, lol. I'm not sure if that's a popular trend elsewhere, but the only time I see birth dates on shirts is when people are wearing RIP shirts for someone that's passed. But anyway, I can see the genuine confusion with this. I think this was just a misunderstanding really.

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
  • Wow this is just weird. What was going through her head? "Today I'll turn my son into a terrorist threat and send him off to Kindergarten hehehehehehehehehehehe". Wut.

I can definitely understand why the school filed charges, I mean it's usually best to make money off of severely insane people rather than let them be. Actually, disregard that. This story is the most interesting thing that I saw today, kudos to the French woman >_>

Back