• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen How can I physically play the oldies once again in a modern way?

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2016
    Hello .
    I grew up with pokemon yellow, blue and then silver. I have so much nostalgia for these games, and was wondering how to play them once again. I have no idea where my gameboy /games are anymore. I am aware of the remakes that were named "leaf green" and while I would like to consider playing them, I would probably stick with the oldies.
    My questions are:
    -How can I play them again without using an emulator
    -It has to be with something that I can buy new (not buy used)
    -I would like it to be backlit so I don't have to stand near the light to see it properly.

The gist of it is, how can I play the oldies once again, without resorting to emus and actually playing the game in my hands?

The only answer I can think of is bying a GBA SP but they don't make them anymore ..
    Thanks in advance.

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2024
    Probably on something like this:

How can I physically play the oldies once again in a modern way?

It's still based on emulation though. You put the ROMs on a card and play them on the console.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2016
    That looks cool, thanks for sharing it. I'll keep that in mind. If anyone has additional ideas, feel free to share them.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I find it funny you say they don't make GBAs and SPs anymore, yet you seem to not mind buying the actual games, which also aren't made anymore. :P Also, buying the old games new is going to be very expensive. You're better off just buying a really nice condition used game. All of my old games, except my copy of Blue, are in really good condition and were used. Even my copy of Green is in great condition. So unless you just really want the box and manual, then buying them new isn't worth it in my books. :(

Anyway, you can also find SPs online or maybe even in local stores. I recommend an SP if you want the most modern and authentic feel without the use of ROMs, or even a Micro which I believe are backlit but then again, they're tiny and probably harder to find. You could maybe find an SP that's still boxed and everything, making it new, but like with the games, that would be crazy expensive, more so than the games would be. Again, best bet is to just buy a used SP in great condition.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2016
    I find it funny you say they don't make GBAs and SPs anymore, yet you seem to not mind buying the actual games, which also aren't made anymore. :P Also, buying the old games new is going to be very expensive. You're better off just buying a really nice condition used game. All of my old games, except my copy of Blue, are in really good condition and were used. Even my copy of Green is in great condition. So unless you just really want the box and manual, then buying them new isn't worth it in my books. :(

Anyway, you can also find SPs online or maybe even in local stores. I recommend an SP if you want the most modern and authentic feel without the use of ROMs, or even a Micro which I believe are backlit but then again, they're tiny and probably harder to find. You could maybe find an SP that's still boxed and everything, making it new, but like with the games, that would be crazy expensive, more so than the games would be. Again, best bet is to just buy a used SP in great condition.

I was wondering if I could buy them from the nintendo store or something similar , that's why I put emphasis on bying new. I remember they did something similar with N64 games on the wii market. I never had a wii so I wouldn't know. It would be cool if you could play them on a DS or something.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Oh, okay. I thought you meant brand new copies, like unopened. That's crazy expensive. But unfortunately, the older Pokemon games aren't available on the 3DS eShop, which would be the equivalent of having the N64 games on the Wii of course. I'm not sure why they haven't put them in the eShop, but the demand is high. Since Earthbound finally made it to Wii U Virtual Console, maybe we'll someday see the Pokemon main series in eShop. Just maybe.

Years
  • You could just download it on PC, but I highly suggest you to buy new games. I needed half a year to get Yellow and Crystal and it was definitely worth it. :)

orangeralts21

Newfound Respect for Wobbuffet
    Years
  • I really liked playing them on my phone using the Android App "My Old Boy". It gave me a hands-on experience. But if you don't feel like doing this, it is really hard to get GBAs or SPs.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • If you have access to a Game Cube, the GB Player is a very nice option that lets you play gens 1-3 on your television. Otherwise like Jak said it's not too hard to find a GBA SP for within $50, even the backlit models. If you know any Pawn shops or local game stores that aren't GameStop, those are good places to look for any of this stuff. You know, or ebay. But ebay can get crazy with the pricing sometimes.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Well, there are still gamestores that sell used and NEW Gameboy consoles :) At least here in the Netherlands, but I can imagine there just have to be some neat gamestores in your area too!

For example, there are gamestores selling Gameboy Classic, Pocket, Colour, Advance and so on in the original packaging/ sealed sometimes and those are still new! You prett much can buy the Pokemon Games new as well, or second hand but you ave to be aware of the internal battery that runs dry in about 10-15 years (pieve of cake to replace it though, a lot of gamestores can do this for you).

Since I am a (retro) game collector, I have every single Pokemon game because I grew up with them and still play them on my Gameboy Pocket/ Gameboy Color from time to time :) You should really look into this, it's true they don't produce them anymore but it isn't impossible to buy them new ;) (and Ebay has a lot on their website too!)

Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2014
    In Japan it is still very easy to find brand new old games and consoles for reasonable prices. They weren't exaggerating when they were saying that consoles tend to live longer overthere. Unfortunately, you are very likely to be ripped off by the custom taxes when you try to import these games.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • There's a lot more people in the US so we go through new packaged stuff really fast. Only the type of people who wouldn't sell really have sealed ones here. I wish I had stores with all those systems.

Years
    • Seen Jun 12, 2016
    I was on the verge of buying the K101 but it seems that there is a big issue with saves. It apparently needs a certain button combination to save properly. I won't buy it since that's a pretty bad bug if you ask me. I mean having to save is the second most important aspect of a cnsole after playability.

Back