• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Realistic or Outrageous?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
From the two 'styles' of video gaming shown in this title, what video games do you prefer?

Do you prefer the more 'realistic' video games that seem to relate more to the human world with a feeling of more character emotion, or, do you prefer video games that have a more 'outrageous' design to them, that appeals more to the imagination and the eye?

Which do you prefer?

Purple Materia

Shape the future!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 12, 2014
Fun over realism every time, as far as gameplay goes.

But in general, I prefer a mix of both. Games with a realistic plot, but with more arcade-ish gameplay are probably the best mix, at least in my opinion.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I like them both a lot, it just depends on how they're done.

One of my favorite games is Red Dead Redemption which is very realistic, but I also love games like LittleBigPlanet and Pokemon so, realism vs fantasy isn't really something that I think of when it comes to video games.

Years
I like a good mix of games that are both realistic and outrageous, but it all depends on the game I'm playing. Being a big fan of sports games, I expect these to be as realistic as possible, and the better they do at emulating the sport itself, the more I find I enjoy it. Then there are games like Pokemon, which couldn't really exist in the world as we know it, but it doesn't mean I love the game any less.

Then there are those games that have a good mix of both realism and an outrageous feel, like Grand Theft Auto. Sure, the game puts you in a realistic environment with some relatable characters, but with some of the stuff you can get away with (stealing vehicles, driving on sidewalks filled with people, etc.), yet get away with little or no consequence, shows a truly outrageous game in a realistic world.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
Years
Fun over realism every time, as far as gameplay goes.

Pretty much this. When it comes to games like the Katamari series, Damacy and Forever specifically, it's definitely outrageous over realism because those games are fun as hell, but what is realistic about rolling the entire overworld into a giant ball so that a king can recreate stars and constellations? Absolutely nothing! I get an invigorating burst of energy when I play games that are fun but not realistic because why should a game be down-to-earth and believeable all the time?

KannibalKween

Queen of the Dark
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Aug 3, 2013
For me even when it comes to my fantasy games I like to have a good dose of realism, just for the sake of the enjoyment I get out of realistic. Tho that being said I love outrageous games as well I just prefer realism.

Back