• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen "Needs less legendaries!"

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
Years
  • You know, a small issue that has been going around pokemon games lately is that we have seen quite a large number of legendary pokemon, lately. Take a look at the number of legendary pokemon that were introduced throughout the games:

Red/Blue: 5

Gold/Silver: 6

Ruby/Sapphire: 10

Diamond: Pearl: 14

Black/White: 13

But, what's next for X&Y? How many legendary pokemon do you feel will be introduced this time around? Would you prefer less, or more legendaries this time around? Depending on the number of legendaries that will be introduced in these games, what could that mean for the pokemon world overall? Or, if you feel that there will be too much legendary pokemon this time around, would you say that it can be justifiable, as long as their origins are explained properly? Do you have any other thoughts?

Last edited:

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • There has been a trend of having way too many legendaries lately. Although they are given back stories I personally don't think they were fleshed out enough for me to be happy with them. I liked the amount in GSC, where we had a specific origin for the legendary dogs, what their function was, and how they related to Lugia and Ho-Oh. Celebi was kind of just a nice addition in there, and although it was given much explanation, I still had a feel of what it's purpose was, especially since HGSS fleshed it out further.

So pretty much I want to return to have fewer legendaries again.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I want it go back down to 10 like in Generation 3, it felt just right, 13 is too much, and 5 is too few. My guess is mascot trio, secondary trio, one master, and three events.

SolarAbusoru

Go Go PokéRangers
    Years
  • I honestly don't mind, there's a bloomin' ton of gods and mythical creatures in "real life" (and by that I mean totally fictitious), so I don't see why Pokemon can't have many legendaries to reflect that, besides, there's still few legendaries compared to ordinary Pokemon so again, I don't mind.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Pearl/Diamond had definitely too many legendaries in my opinion, i think GSC and RBY did a good job regarding that, so i hope they go back to about 5-8 legendaries.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Enough with the complaints of too many legendaries already!

GF has found a pattern on the inclusion of legendary Pokemon:

- A trio with base stats total of 580
    - A pair of version-exclusive legendaries
    - An endgame trio who are the version mascots
    - A mythical Pokemon with base stat total of 600
    - 3 event legendaries

Legendaries are what drives the plot for both the main camepaign and the side-quests, so having less would only bring us back to a bare bones stories. Besides, if there were less legendaries, then there won't be a lot of legendaries to promote for the movies, even when the next gen still isn't prepared.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Legendaries are what drives the plot for both the main camepaign and the side-quests, so having less would only bring us back to a bare bones stories.

Maybe it's just me, but i didn't really feel like many of the legendaries had a real story value?
    Reshiram and Zekrom of course did, as well as cobalion and the rest of the trio, especially in B2/W2.
    The rest though were just kind of "there"...but again, i might be wrong, just saying

Fureon

Psychic
    Years
  • Maybe it's just me, but i didn't really feel like many of the legendaries had a real story value?
    Reshiram and Zekrom of course did, as well as cobalion and the rest of the trio, especially in B2/W2.
    The rest though were just kind of "there"...but again, i might be wrong, just saying
    You're not alone, I'm with you on that.

I'd definitely like less legendaries and more developed plot around them instead. Something that will keep happening throughout the whole game, and then a climax just before Elite 4. Too much legendaries makes each one less special. You know, "if everyone's special, than no one is". So I hope they shut down the conveyor belt and start making legendaries and the corresponding movies feel epic. Like, "nothing to mess with".

Munchlax11

Munch?
    Years
    • Age 26
    • USA
    • Seen Feb 15, 2014
    Hoenn had a good amount. I would like to see them do 9-10 legends this generation. Kanto and Johto had too few, Sinnoh had too many. I think Hoenn had the perfect amount.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • Enough with the complaints of too many legendaries already!

GF has found a pattern on the inclusion of legendary Pokemon:

- A trio with base stats total of 580
    - A pair of version-exclusive legendaries
    - An endgame trio who are the version mascots
    - A mythical Pokemon with base stat total of 600
    - 3 event legendaries

Legendaries are what drives the plot for both the main camepaign and the side-quests, so having less would only bring us back to a bare bones stories. Besides, if there were less legendaries, then there won't be a lot of legendaries to promote for the movies, even when the next gen still isn't prepared.

On the contrary, more legendaries doesn't mean that there's more story. The Regis for example had barely any story related to them. All you did was find the cave underwater and then release them. Where's the story in that? Comparatively, I feel GSC had far less legendaries and had a much more engaging storyline. I'd rather have fewer legends that have a more fleshed out storyline than a bunch of them that are very vaguely thrown together.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • You're not alone, I'm with you on that.

I'd definitely like less legendaries and more developed plot around them instead. Something that will keep happening throughout the whole game, and then a climax just before Elite 4. Too much legendaries makes each one less special. You know, "if everyone's special, than no one is". So I hope they shut down the conveyor belt and start making legendaries and the corresponding movies feel epic. Like, "nothing to mess with".

I see your point and i definitely agree. I think the story around Reshiram and Zekrom, and basically any legendary duo since GSC, was pretty good and had a good climax. I like the trios too, i just wish they had some more backstory or were somehow connected to the main 2 legendaries, like Entei, Suicune and Raikou relate to Ho-Oh and Lugia. And you are right, the less legendaries there are, the more special they become.
    (I mean, who didn't want to have that mighty Mewtwo as a kid back in the day??!)

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • On the contrary, more legendaries doesn't mean that there's more story. The Regis for example had barely any story related to them. All you did was find the cave underwater and then release them. Where's the story in that? Comparatively, I feel GSC had far less legendaries and had a much more engaging storyline. I'd rather have fewer legends that have a more fleshed out storyline than a bunch of them that are very vaguely thrown together.

What engaging storyline? Professor Elm only asked you to run an errand for him, and Team Rocket barely did anything throughout your journey. Even the story tie-in for Ho-oh and Lugia in the remakes didn't do any justice for a decent plot. All this talk about less legendaries is only because of their belief that "it would make them less special," which is not the case, because numbers doesn't define a legendary, as provided by some of them such as the Latis, it is their backstories.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • What engaging storyline? Professor Elm only asked you to run an errand for him, and Team Rocket barely did anything throughout your journey. Even the story tie-in for Ho-oh and Lugia in the remakes didn't do any justice for a decent plot. All this talk about less legendaries is only because of their belief that "it would make them less special," which is not the case, because numbers doesn't define a legendary, it is their strength.

The backstory of the three legendary dogs, their duties to protect the region, and how Ho-Oh and Lugia were part of that was a far more interesting story line than what the Regis were, or where Cresselia or Darkrai came from and their purpose for any sort of story, or the Kami Trio other than going to the Abundant Shrine and being told briefly what was happening with them. Half the time we just get random legendaries that have no point to any sort of storyline other than throwing them in there for the sake of having more Pokémon. Having more legendaries doesn't make them less special, that's not the issue here. The problem is having that many legendaries and actually them have a good reason to be a legend and incorporated into any storyline that has any sort of purpose or has more than a five minute explanation doesn't exist.

THAT'S why I want to return to a fewer number of legendaries. I think using them to tell a more captivating story and weaving them into to where they have a defined purposed in the player's quest would be ideal for this generation. Having more legends just for the sake of having them doesn't add anything for me, but of course that's just my opinion.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • What engaging storyline? Professor Elm only asked you to run an errand for him, and Team Rocket barely did anything throughout your journey. Even the story tie-in for Ho-oh and Lugia in the remakes didn't do any justice for a decent plot. All this talk about less legendaries is only because of their belief that "it would make them less special," which is not the case, because numbers doesn't define a legendary, it is their strength.

Well you just talked about the basic GSC storyline, but we were just commenting on the part regarding the legendaries. Of course the game doesn't revolve around just the legendaries, since your main goal is to defeat every gym and finally the elite 4 to become the new champion. I just think that Ho-Oh and Lugia had a good story and myth surrounding them it in the game, and they related very well to the legendary dogs.
    And in my opinion, numbers are important when talking about legendary pokemon. To me a legendary pokemon should be a pokemon of special value, sure he has to be strong, but it's his origin and story that really interests me. Legendary Pokemon are very important to the region's mithology and history and have shaped the land the game takes place in. Making 14 legendaries in one game takes a lot away from that in my opinion, and how is a pokemon really "legendary" if there are other 13 that apparently are as important and valuable as the first?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • The backstory of the three legendary dogs, their duties to protect the region, and how Ho-Oh and Lugia were part of that was a far more interesting story line than what the Regis were, or where Cresselia or Darkrai came from and their purpose for any sort of story, or the Kami Trio other than going to the Abundant Shrine and being told briefly what was happening with them. Half the time we just get random legendaries that have no point to any sort of storyline other than throwing them in there for the sake of having more Pokémon. Having more legendaries doesn't make them less special, that's not the issue here. The problem is having that many legendaries and actually them have a good reason to be a legend and incorporated into any storyline that has any sort of purpose or has more than a five minute explanation doesn't exist.

THAT'S why I want to return to a fewer number of legendaries. I think using them to tell a more captivating story and weaving them into to where they have a defined purposed in the player's quest would be ideal for this generation. Having more legends just for the sake of having them doesn't add anything for me, but of course that's just my opinion.

But if there were less legendaries this gen, then how is TPCi going to advertise them in their movies with a pattern they'll soon plan to follow:

Movie 1: Two mascot legendaries starring the mythical Pokemon
    Movie 2: Third mascot legendary starring the first of the 3 event legendaries
    Movie 3: Two version-exclusive legendaries starring the second of the 3 event legendaries
    Movie 4: Third of the 3 event legendaries starring an older gen legendary/a next-gen Pokemon

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • There are actually 13 Legendary Pokémon in Black and White.

But if there were less legendaries this gen, then how is TPCi going to advertise them in their movies with a pattern they'll soon plan to follow:

Movie 1: Two mascot legendaries starring the mythical Pokemon
    Movie 2: Third mascot legendary starring the first of the 3 event legendaries
    Movie 3: Two version-exclusive legendaries starring the second of the 3 event legendaries
    Movie 4: Third of the 3 event legendaries starring an older gen legendary/a next-gen Pokemon
    I wouldn't put my bets on TPCi, GameFreak, or Pokémon in general to follow a consecutive pattern. The movies have never followed a straightforward pattern either. But that's going off-topic.

I think eight to ten is a very respectable number of Legendary Pokémon to have. Sinnoh, in my opinion, definitely had too many and Unova added some unnecessary legends to the list ─ why two trios?

Other than just having legendaries for back story and using them as plot devices, if there are going to be more then I want it to be challenging in order to find them. The Regis were mentioned earlier. They may have had very little back story or involvement in the games, but finding them was sure a lot of fun.

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • I agree, the second trio in B/W was kind of odd i guess...
    And you are right, maybe the fact that the Regis had almost no backstory made it extra hard to find them, since they are basically never mentioned in the game. Now that i think of it, it's true the Regis probably had the most unique way to be found and finally caught.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Yeah I want more unique ways to get the legendaries. I was pleased to discover the chamber underwater and open the other chambers.
    Also the best story imo of all the legends has to be the Creation trio, and Lake trio, those two were connected and had their stories explained nicely. Hopefully the legendary trios of this generation will have something similar. Only with even more story. Perhaps we can have a journal and put forth all our discoveries together like with the Unown.

Thingula

How do you change this text?
    Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2014
    Maybe it's just me, but i didn't really feel like many of the legendaries had a real story value?

I agree with you.

There are too many and for no real reason.

Affliction

Booted out - don't be like me!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2016
    With the amount of Legendaries we have now, we honestly only need a few. Red/Blue had 5 legendaries, and now we see about 43 more legendaries, and it could've only been around something like 32 if the Legendaries didn't really go that high Gen III to V. Sure, they're sometimes cool, but legendaries are usually what ruin the game. I guess the only reason they create dozens of legendaries a Generation is because they want to keep their games running for long until they send out a new one.

If they send out only 6-7 legends this new Generation (And possibly the next few ones too) that'll balance the legendaries. But anyway, that'll probably won't work, they'd probably create more and more legendaries until they make at least two dozens per generation.

Back