• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Poke-FAIL!

Years
  • Seen Aug 11, 2017
Hello everyone its Oshawottlover here with a brand new hilarious thread! its called Poke-FAIL because people can post their fails in their lifetime of pokemon. like killing a shiny, being killed by magikarps, you know, FAILS!

to start this thread off with a fail, here is mine. i used my net ball on my dialga and caught it. yeah i know this isnt a fail just wait a minute. after all of the stuff in diamond, i found a floatzle. i freaked out cuz i havent caught one yet. and you know what i used on it to catch it? A MASTER BALL!! i was like 8 when this happened! how big of a fail is that?!

theres my story. now let me here everyone elses! im sure this will be a great thread so dont be scared to let everyone know how you failed in the pokemon lifetime.

Years
Well in FireRed at the very beginning I found a shiny Ratatta (the first shiny I saw in my life btw), the thing was, I had just started the game and didn't have any pokeballs yet, so there's one.

I knew Blue's Blastoise was gonna kick my ass, so I trained a Pikachu up to level 60 so I could beat him easily; later in the moment of truth, his Blastoise attack first and did a critical Hidro Cannon on my Pikachu, that's the other fail, although I did make a critical Fly with my Charizard so at the end I did beat him.

Those are two that really make me throw (almost) my GBA.

Years
It sounds like you're looking for fails from the games, so I'll move this over to Pokemon Gaming Central instead!

As for myself, it's kind of a two-parter for FireRed. First, I had to sit and watch as the old man who teaches you to catch Pokemon caught a shiny Weedle. The only other time I managed to find a shiny in that game was in the Safari Zone, and it was a Paras. Unfortunately, I only had one Safari Ball left, and rather than take the chance of scaring it away, I threw my ball on the first turn. Since this is a fail thread, I'm sure you can guess what happened.

MOVED.

ShivaDF

The Scooter-riding Artist
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2017
I first got to Wally at Victory Road in Emerald with a bunch of low-level poke'mon with me (I was trying to level them up). I figured since Wally was easy exp. before, it would be the same then... I bet you can guess the result.

My team as a whole on my first runthrough was also a little underleveled, and long story short, I lost all my money to the Elite Four. I had to fight them over and over again!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Mar 22, 2024
There's two I remember from when I was a kid -
  • In Sapphire, I knocked out Kyogre and it never occurred to me to reload and try again.
  • 6/7-year-old me just hated roaming Legendaries that kept fleeing from battle. I got so sick of the Legendary dogs running out on me every time that I just chucked my Master Ball at Suicune when I encountered it. That was the only time I ever used a Master Ball. :P

TheZenTraveler

I know my profile is out of date, but don't worry,
Years
Where can you get all 3?!

I believe you can get bulbasaur in Cerulean, with a high friendship with Pikachu.

Charmander at the end of the Nugget Trail, from a trainer whom says he's a bad trainer.

Squirtle from Officer Jenny, after beating the third gym. She will be in the middle of Vermilion City roughly.

Has anyone mentioned failing against Whitney enough to Rage quit Gold version? Yep I've had to put that one down for a little while... rethink my strategy.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen May 13, 2022
When I first played Ruby back in 2004, I just couldn't get through Route 101. I had no idea what do to, since there were only trees and ledges. Turned out the 'trees' were patches of grass.

I also killed a shiny Spinda in Emerald. Wasn't really paying attention xD.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
Anyone mentioned killing both Azelf and Mesprit because they thought they have no pokeballs but they actually had 13 greatballs, 1 ultraball, 2 quick balls and a net ball? YEAH.

DP memories...let the stupidity flow.

*Riolu Master*

The Aura Within
Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen Jul 13, 2016
In diamond I made a new game and I beat 3 gym leaders and then got off. I then figured out that you had to press these buttons to actually save in the game. I was ragging cause my new save file was gone.

Also, in X and Y I was fighting Moltres and I got its hp so low and used like 20 ultra balls and I then I was ragging so I just threw a pokeball at it and caught it. I just said, I wasted all that money on ultra balls.

Years
  • Seen Jun 1, 2020
I found a shiny Farfetch'd in the Soul Silver Safari Zone and it fled after getting out of my Safari Ball...

Arrow

I'd like to be a tree :3
Years
In Emerald I used my Master Ball on a Chinchou I didn't even use... meh.

In Pearl I defeated the Lake Trio with know knowledge they were considered legendary. I didn't understand the plot of any Pokemon games when I was 8. I still caught Palkia though. Even though I had a level 80-something Empoleon, I could never defeat the Elite Four, thus never catching the post-game legendaries. :( Also in Pearl I restarted my save file with the only shiny I've random encountered so far: Kriketune. I miss that mustached bug.

Blueredemption

Never stop exploring!
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Oct 16, 2023
Wile playing soul-silver i caught a shiny blue electrode in that rocket hideout that you and lance were defeating (the one with the fake tree) long story short, i didnt know that it was a shiny until AFTER i deleted the save :(

Years
In Pokémon Y, I sometimes forget that Dragon-type attacks don't work on Fairy-type Pokémon. So I'll select Dragon Pulse and when I see "It doesn't affect...", I really messed up.

Also, in Black or White, (or was it Black 2, White 2)? I can't remember which version, but I ran into a shiny Graveler, and it used Explosion.

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
Years
i chose in Pearl turtwig and i didnt know it was shiny until after i deleted that save and was so annoyed my mom said i actually cried for a little bit.

Pumpkaboo

Peek-a-boo
Years
I've run away from 3 shinies so far because i wasn't paying attention just bashing the run button.

I mean I got them back later but at the time I've hated myself so much.

Back