• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gintama

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
  • gJSRuGZ.png

Synopsis

Episodes: 201
    Genres: Action, Comedy, Historical, Parody, Samurai, Sci-Fi, Shounen

Life isn't easy in feudal Japan... especially since the aliens landed and conquered everything! Oh sure, the new health care is great, but the public ban on the use of swords has left a lot of defeated samurai with a difficult decision to make concerning their future career paths! This is especially true if, as in the case of Gintoki Sakata, they're not particularly inclined towards holding a day job, which is why Gintoki's opted for the freelance route, taking any job that's offered to him as long as the financial remuneration sounds right. Unfortunately, in a brave new world filled with stray bug-eyed monsters, upwardly mobile Yakuza and overly ambitious E.T. entrepreneurs, those jobs usually don't pay as well as they should for the pain, suffering and indignities endured!

More information: myanimelist

So, any of you ever seen this series? Share your thoughts on this ridiculously amazing comedic masterpiece which has enough drama and emotional scenes to have you bawl like a baby and contains action sequences that rival the biggest shounen series and even manage to one up most of them. Easily. While whining about how "these action-heavy arcs are burning a hole in the pockets of the producers".

Personal Thoughts:

Personally, I thought the first few episodes (20. The first 20 episodes) were really weak. I dropped the show multiple times. But I heard people praise it like no tomorrow. And yes, after we get introduced to the main cast in the first 20-something episodes, this slowly becomes really really enjoyable. And it gets better over time. Oh boy does it do that well. I can safely say it is my favorite anime of all time. Yeah, not even preskip One Piece dethrones it. This is THAT good.

Comedy is unlike anything you've ever seen. You'll cry while laughing and have problems while doing so since your stomach hurts. Emotional/Dramatic arcs can have you shedding tears. Action-heavy arcs like Yoshiwara, Red Spider, Four Devas and Courtesan of the Nation are among the top shounen arcs I've seen. Ever. And the characters. They're the real meat. They're just fantastic. And I haven't even talked about the OST. Audio highs did an awesome job at the OST. Also, the openings and EDs deserve a mention. I don't dislike a single OP. Not one. I love them all. And don't skip them. Ever.

Okay, I'm fanboying. BUT IT IS THAT GOOD, DAMN IT. >_>' I know the length is overwhelming to a few, the initial episodes being kinda crappy AND the requirement of the viewer knowing a bit of japanese culture really makes it one of the most difficult anime to recommend. But once you're in, you can't stop yourself from loving it.

Aaaand if you're a comedy fan, this is it. This is the best I've seen in the genre.

credit to Lilith for the layout. Thanks sis! :p

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    ^ what was that comment?

I personally love Gintama, the references to other anime is hilarious especially since every big cloud has Laputa in it. (If you dont get it, you should really watch Laputa: Castle in the Sky, gud movee)
    I'm pretty sure its coming back out again after the whole politics fiasco or whatever and I cannot wait!

derozio

Years
  • It was a picture of a Justaway with Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong attached to it/Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Canon (poor non Gintama people - this would probably look like gibberish to them haha) lol. :p But it was deleted because the post had no words. Or maybe because it was considered inappropriate? Well yeah, it sort of is, but it isn't really at the same time XD;

Spoiler:

Oh, I know, right? XD; But then there are references to so many shows in it, haha. I just finished watching Evangelion yesterday and realized I got the ending ~spoiled~ (not really since the dialogues were so different) to me by Gintama because the end was exactly the same as it was done in Gintama episode 150 lol. I really do hope that the series comes back this year or the next. I can't wait to see the adventures of our beloved Yorozuya once again. <3;

I shall share some vids here. Cuz they deserve to be shared.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqS88XC7ZEU[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD6ByuGnSPU[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7ojdo9ZjXQ[/ame]

Your favorite arcs? :3

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Oh my... Gintama, I dropped it a few times due to the first episode special being non-canon to anything or everything. The first 10 episodes were a struggle for me, but I persevered till post episode 20 and I finally know why the series is loved so much and so highly rated. I am currently at around 190++ episodes and I can't stop. It can be any type of anime genre due to its setting in a universe and won't be restrained by anything. It can be a gag anime to a serious one to one that can make you cry. I like the arc in about episode 100+ where Hijikata became Toshi the otaku, that arc was good.

I can go on and on and on, however, I just need to take a dump and I will make sure I will take in my toilet paper in!

Last edited:

derozio

Years
  • Mentioning it as a reference kinda ruins it lol. Most who have seen Gintama know the toilet scene lol

also, was watching the rokkaku arc today. I laughed so much at this omg

oh and the one where toshi becomes an otaku? Shinsengumi crisis arc was great, yes. And we finally saw basai face off against gintoki too. Loved it.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Mentioning it as a reference kinda ruins it lol. Most who have seen Gintama know the toilet scene lol

also, was watching the rokkaku arc today. I laughed so much at this omg

oh and the one where toshi becomes an otaku? Shinsengumi crisis arc was great, yes. And we finally saw basai face off against gintoki too. Loved it.

Yep! That scene! I remember it because it had that Madao song playing, and some epic monologue and with a turn of events! (that move made by Sougo just reminds me of the Kinnuki Buster, that happened in the arc where Hasegawa or Madao gets sued and gintoki becomes a lawyer!)

derozio

Years
  • Hasegawa trial arc, yes. And he ends up performing the move on his wife in the end trolololol

Loved Gintoki as an attorney there. Although, since I havent seen Heidi, the references were kinda meh for me.

the judge was such a pervert. 'objection overruled. Rewind the video to the part where spanking happens according to defense's request. Lmfao.

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Derozio forced me I watched episodes 3 through 9 of Gintama and I quite like it so far! Some of the humor is great and I dig the references to other anime.

My favorite character would be Sougo so far because woohooo firing rocket launchers and being a sadist, so I had watched episodes 86-87 for his backstory. Sougo, Hijikata, and Kondou were all great on-screen. As for the sister and all of the feels, oh man, I think I'm an empty vessel for the rest of the day. :(

Looking above and seeing that video about Sougo's death, I was about to get angry, but that clip was hysterical.

derozio

Years
  • I'm so glad to see you enjoy Gintama, Onee-san. <3 There's plenty more to where the funny and dramatic stuff you saw came from lol.

I'll be honest, though, I'm making you watch this anime mainly so that you can experience the greatness that is the 'Four Devas arc' present the sequel to Gintama titled Gintama' and the arc known as 'Kintama' and 'Courtesan of a nation' present in the sequel to Gintama' called Gintama': Enchousen. And don't worry, the sequels are much, much shorter than the first 201 ep long series lol.

TwilightBlade

Years
  • Episode 10: This one was hysterical! I've been waiting quite a while to see when the huge white dog would join the group. He was so cute. <3 I also like Gintoki's character here as he ended up allowing Sadaharu to stay. Kagura had a nice flashback too. I felt so sorry for her, an animal lover, who's just a tad too strong to raise any normal animal... Fwee~

Episode 11: Hahahaha I can't believe the old man in the hospital once fawned over the landlord lady. XD

Episode 12: I didn't really care for this episode until the near end. I liked the part where main 3 hijacked a car. The passenger lady said, "I'm so scared!" and the guy said, "I'm so turned on!" haha whaaaaat!

derozio

Years
  • Sadaharu is cute as heck, yes. :D although i dun get why elizabeth is creepy. Weird, yes, but creepy? Shes's so cute. Also katsura loves eli he'll cut you down if you hate on eli!!!

I still remember the old man episode pretty well. The landlady was quite a beauty in her heydays haha. And, as future arcs show, this guy wasn't the only person who fell for her. :p I found it touching, tbh.

Also a few more episodes and you'll meet the wonderful 'M' Sacchan!! You already have an 'S' in the series, Sougo, and now we'll have a M as well XD

speaking of sadists, I saw the thorny arc today. Hijikata's backstory. Introduced Nobume as a character. Dayum. She's on par with Sougo both in skills and in being a sadist. Arc had some great visuals too. Felt like I was watching a high budget movie at times.

TwilightBlade

Years
  • @Dante: Elizabeth is creepy! Them hairy legs... Is she really a girl? I've seen gifs on tumblr suggesting so, whoops. Sachan is one crazy M. Gintoki pushes her away and mistreats her, only adding to her love for him. XD

I just finished up episodes 101-105, the Shinsengumi Crisis tonight.

The first episode was pretty funny where they were comparing the features of their swords; ahaha Sougo's sword using headphones. Oh, and Hijikata turning into an otaku was hysterical. You'd never expect him to behave like that. He broke his own rules and got suspended, pahaha.

Tons of stellar action and great moments otherwise. I loved Kondo's emotional scene in the separate train car. I love love love Sougo's bloodbath on the train. He has great scary facial expressions. The gang looked hot in the Shinsengumi uniforms, especially Gintoki. He was so badass when he pulled the helicopter down. Him using the rocket launcher while on the police car was also pretty hot, kay.

The ending of the arc was fitting, and so I felt kind of sorry for Ito. His mom was terrible towards him during his childhood. What kind of mother would make a comment about how she wishes her second son was never born at all? Oh oh oh, I was sad for badminton guy, but I'm glad to see he's okay.

I had more to say, but I forgot it as I kept watching. 8D;

kay I lied, the first arc I watched out of all the names you suggested was the Scandal arc, and it was scandalous! When all five babes went out with the doppelgangers rather than him, I kinda figured Gintoki was about to get punk'd.

Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Just finished watching the entire series and I feel so empty.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    It has been some time when I watched the whole series. It's one of my all time favourites; too bad there hasn't been anything new for a long time.

My favourite arc is the Benizakura arc, mainly because it was the first real arc and as that it changed the whole perspective of the series for me (first it is only some kind of cool and funny parody series, only to hit you into the face with so much drama).

TwilightBlade

Years
  • It would be so difficult for me to pick my favorite arc. I'll try to rank them..

Serious Arcs:
    1. Courtesan of a Nations
    I can't ever get the image of serious-mode Gintoki out of my mind. Oboro's character was mind-blowing. Tons of character revelations and action, and this was likely the first time the Shogun was not humiliated.
    2. Yoshiwaru in Flames/Red Spider
    Kamui and a different side of Kagura, what's not to love? The relationship between Gintoki and Tsukuyo and the relations of their teachers had amazing development here.
    3. Benizakura
    4. Rokkaku/Mitsuba
    5. Four Devas

Comedy Arcs:
    1. Shinsengumi Crisis
    Hijikata as an otaku is THE most hilarious set-up. It has a lot of serious moments too, I know. Yet, this blend of comedy and action got me hooked into the series. ;-; I've already listed my thoughts above. It's one of the first arcs I saw and I still hold it in high regard.
    2. Owee
    The first bit where they are waiting outside in the cold and try to warm up... hilarious! The two teams in the game were hysterical as well. Hijikata reaching 0 HP after stubbing his toe, Gintoki being poisoned, Sogo hitting the jackpot, and Kagura's fighting skills leading her to fight the end-game boss anyway.
    3. Scandal
    4. Vacation/Skiing
    5. Stray Cat

...Aw man, I liked the Umibozu, Infant, Yagyu, Thorny, Kintama, and Obi-wan arcs too. ;^;

Last edited:

Phazon Elemental

roving snob
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    Up until recently, I hadn't watched any episodes in a while. Right now I'm about halfway through the first series (i.e. the 201 episodes that make up Gintama itself, not counting Gintama', etc.), just finished episode 100.

Of course, though, I had to take a big break last time right before the episodes where Gintoki is an attorney. Those two episodes were very fun.

TwilightBlade

Years
  • Barber Arc was hilarious. An anti-foreigner policeman, anti-foreigner terrorist, and the shogun walk into a barber shop... where Yorozuya are in charge... Hahaha. I couldn't stop smiling, my cheeks hurt so much. The shogun was smiling too, right? B)

Last edited:

Saber of Yellow

King of Knights
    Years
  • Very excited to start this anime since I've been hearing many good things about it (mostly that's it's pretty hilarious).

Planning to start it once i finished Katekyo Hitman Reborn!

TwilightBlade

Years
  • It's an amazing anime to get into, but you may find it difficult to stick with it when a) the first 20 episodes are weak compared to what Gintama really is, and b) the main characters do not have a clear goal, haha. And yet, this second point gives Gintama an episodic nature. You can enjoy the 150th episode without seeing the 3 episodes before it.

I recommend this streamlined approach that includes the best episodes without gliding over the introductory episodes. You're skipping around, but key plot details are not lost. [supporter]Dante[/supporter] first suggested this list to me, and after some tweaks here and there, I effectively got hooked on the series. This path will get you right into the action and a taste of the comedy, so here's that:

Episode
    Recommendation
    Description

1 - 2
    Skip 'em
    It's mostly promotional material, not the real story.

3-10
    Watch
    Introduces the four main characters.

11-17
    Watch
    Introduces several supporting characters and the main antagonist.

18-21
    Should watch
    Comedy episodes and character development.

22-24
    Watch
    Introduces three important recurring characters.

25-26
    Can skip
    Comedy episodes. In 25, they fight over food. In 26, they work part-time.

Watch
    Introduces a minor character whose story parallels Gintoki's own.

Should watch
    Comedy ep. Kondo has an unlucky day with the director of the police dept., Matsudaira.

Can skip
    Comedy ep. Part A shows how Gintoki gets his sword. Part B is cockroach infestation.

Can skip
    Comedy episode. It's about the pop-idol character.

31-33
    Watch
    Memory Loss arc. Gintoki gets amnesia after an accident, and his pals try to help.

Can skip
    Comedy episode. Shinpachi falls in love with a girl with cat ears.

Should watch
    Matsudaira tries to sabotage his daughter's date with the help of Hijikata, Sougo, and Kondo.

Can skip
    Comedy ep. An odd religious group called Dream Faith is deceiving its followers.

37-38
    Should watch
    Comedy eps. 37 has Santa Claus. 38 has Gintoki building something fun in the snow.

Watch
    Katsura is on the run from the police and takes refuge in a ramen shop.

40-43
    Watch
    Umibozu arc. Introduces Kagura's father.

44-45
    Watch
    44 details Zenzou, a recurring character. 45 is Sadaharu's backstory.

46-47
    Can skip
    Comedy eps. 46 is Otae vs priestess. 47 introduces frightening Gintoki's neighbor.

Watch
    Hijikata is targeted by hitmen, but Gintoki keeps running into him. Hilarity ensues.

Should watch
    Comedy ep. They gamble and lose their clothes. Hilarious if you're okay with fanservice.

Should watch
    Comedy ep. Everyone has an idea of what the anime should strive for. Hilarity ensues.

Yahoooo, 30 out of 50 episodes under your belt if you only see the ones indicated by Watch. If you included all of the Should watch, the total is 38. By now, you've been exposed to many of the characters and their personalities.

Onto the interesting arcs then. There's no point in me bolding words when they're all arcs:

Episode
    Recommendation
    Description

51-52
    Should watch
    Infant Strife arc. Gintoki finds a baby left outside by his place who looks just like him.

58-61
    Watch
    Benizakura arc. It's the first epic fight. Try to watch the movie for its superior animation.

69-71
    Watch
    Fuyo arc. A tale about a professor creating robots in his daughter's image.

76-81
    Watch
    Yagyu arc. Kondo is forced into arranged marriage, and the Yagyu clan desires Otae.

86-87
    Watch
    Okita Mitsuba arc. Sougo's sister says she's engaged, but Hijikata realizes the fianceé's corruption.

98-99
    Should watch
    Owee arc. Everyone wants an Owee, which is a parody of the Wii. Hilarity ensues.

101-105
    Watch
    Shinsengumi Crisis arc. A cursed sword causes Hijikata to act strange, endangering him.

139-146
    Watch
    Yoshiwara in Flames. One of the best arcs.

177-181
    Watch
    Red Spider arc. One of the best arcs.

186-187
    Watch
    Rokkaku Incident arc. Sougo is attacked by a girl who claims her father was wrongfully murdered.

210-215
    Watch
    Four Devas arc. One of the best arcs.

237-238
    Should watch
    Vacation / Ski Trip arc. Shinsengumi are stuck with the Yorozuya. Hilarity ensues.

239-240
    Should watch
    Scandal arc. Gin wakes up with a hangover and finds himself in a strange bedroom...

244-247
    Watch
    Thorny arc. Shinsengumi and the elite police force, Mimawarigumi, get in an intense dispute.

253-256
    Watch
    Kintama arc. A blond, straight-hair, charismatic man leads the show. Just what is going on?!

257-261
    Watch
    Courtesan of a Nation arc. One of the best arcs.

262-264
    Watch
    Obi-wan arc. Otae reunites with a former instructor who fights using beam swords.

Good good. If you've seen all of the episodes indicated by Watch, you've seen 89 episodes. That's easy to accomplish. 8D If you watched all of the episodes indicated by Should watch, you watched 105 episodes. You're also ready to see the second Gintama movie.

There are plenty of other episodes that are worth your time if you can't get enough of Gintama. Some of the ones I liked that spring to my mind are:

Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jul 14, 2021
    Or instead... watch all of them in episode order because its the way to go.

Don't forget to watch Haru Matsuri and Sakura Matsuri as well. Its a live appearance from the main voice cast and live performances from the bands who sang the OP and ED.

Back