• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Ones That Got Away

Auserk

Auserk
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 13, 2018
Take Forretress, Steelix, Dewgong, Muk, Arcanine and Dragonite

Anyway, I suppose I'll try this.
Username: Oshamaru
Game: Platinum
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Parameters:
6 Pokemon, no same types (if one type is the same but the other isn't, it's ok)
Mode: Expert

Cheers my team looks great. I haven't played Gen IV fully yet but i chose a team for you I would like to use.

It Is: Drapion, Tangrowth, Octillery, Drifblim, Probopass, Chimecho

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
I like the team I got. Thanks! Anyway, I wanted to start today, but I had to start yesterday because I remembered that Drifloons only appear on Fridays.

• After starting the game and doing some stuff, I sent over a Tangela egg over to my Platinum game. It came knowing some good moves, so training it wasn't hard at all.
  • Beat my rival and Roark with ease.
  • The Galactic Grunts were starting to become a problem, because most of them carried Poison types.
  • Barely beat Mars after lots of tries.
  • And after that I got the Drifloon outside the Windworks.

Current team:
Spoiler:

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
Username: Apollo
Game: Pokemon LeafGreen
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Parameters:
- 6 Pokemon
- No Pokemon with the same type
- At least one should learn Fly and Surf
- No problem with hacking in unobtainable Pokemon
Mode: Normal

Auserk

Auserk
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 13, 2018
Username: Apollo
Game: Pokemon LeafGreen
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Parameters:
- 6 Pokemon
- No Pokemon with the same type
- At least one should learn Fly and Surf
- No problem with hacking in unobtainable Pokemon

Apollo your team is : Nidoking, Aerodactyl, Kingdra, Zangoose, Medicham, and Shiftry

Years
  • Seen Apr 22, 2016
Ugh, my SD card decided to corrupt my volt white 2 save, so I lost my progress :(. I am going to start over, and will update when I get back to where I was before.

Auserk

Auserk
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 13, 2018
I completed my LeafGreen run, it was a great team and I had fun using my Forretress to set up screens and spikes.

Pokemon-LeafGreenone.png

205.png

Fortis the Forretress Lv52
Spikes
Light Screen
Reflect
Toxic

059.png

Ozire the Arcanine Lv 52
Bite
Aerial Ace
Flamethrower
Dig

208.png

Warhammer the Steelix Lv52
Iron Tail
Sandstorm
Dragonbreath
Crunch

149.png

Drakaina the Dragonite Lv53
Brick Break
Safeguard
Fly
Dragon Claw

087.png

Pinni the Dewgong Lv53
Secret Power
Surf
Icy Wind
Ice Beam

089.png

Tox the Muk Lv52
Sludge Bomb
Flamethrower
Minimize
Thunderbolt​

Oshamaru

Legs go, Megaman!
Years
I haven't been able to play a lot, but here's another update:

-Before going to the Eterna gym, I decided to get my next team member, Chingling. I caught one and named it Isabella. Gardenia was a lot easier to beat than what I expected.
-Jupiter was another story. I had to catch another member of my team, Nosepass (named Gonzales) so it could resist Skuntank's attacks.
-I decided to do the Wayward Cave stuff, and then I went to Hearthome. Fantina was hard to beat, so I evolved Gonzales into Probopass to made the fight easier.

Current team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
I'd like to try this!

Username: Darkhelmet
Game: HeartGold
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Parameters: Able to learn the HMs except Flash, a nice spread of types if possible. Ease of capture doesn't matter, as I plan on using a code to make them appear in the wild at the beginning of the game.

And holy crap, I just realized how long my list is. I really need to spread the variety more.... I guess that's why I'm doing this challenge, eh? Thanks!

Auserk

Auserk
Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Mar 13, 2018
I'd like to try this!

Game: HeartGold
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Parameters: Able to learn the HMs except Flash, a nice spread of types if possible. Ease of capture doesn't matter, as I plan on using a code to make them appear in the wild at the beginning of the game.

And holy crap, I just realized how long my list is. I really need to spread the variety more.... I guess that's why I'm doing this challenge, eh? Thanks!

For you Darkhelmet I choose; Golbat, Mr. Mime, Electabuzz, Heracross, Gastrodon, and Dusclops.

I think they are a good spread of types, and I would think they can learn the HMs you need.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
For you Darkhelmet I choose; Golbat, Mr. Mime, Electabuzz, Heracross, Gastrodon, and Dusclops.

I think they are a good spread of types, and I would think they can learn the HMs you need.

Thank you, I will get started right away. Just making sure because I dont see it specifically in the rules. Can I evolve the Golbat to Crobat or does it have to stay a Golbat?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Aug 13, 2014
Username:Nazkalumiere
Game:Crystal
Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Parameters: At least 4-5 core pokemon in the group HM:surf and fly with a HM buddy or two to cover the the rest.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
Nazka, your team is:

Larvitar
Chikorita
Natu
Tyrogue
Corsola
Houndour

EDIT: I'm having a problem with my emulator, research must be done to fix it. Half the time I get into a trainer battle, the pokeballs that show up showing how many pokemon I have perpetually spin and the game "freezes". So while I work on a fix, I'm gonna do the challenge on FireRed instead. My entire team is capable of being caught in FireRed except for Gastrodon, would it be possible for me to just switch it to Marill so I can continue to have Surf? And I will start on FireRed.

Last edited:
Years
Name: Matze
Game: VoltWhite2
Number of Pokemon I want to have in my team: 9 (yes; 3 Pokemon are at the PC and I switch them out every new town)

Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Every HM must be learned in the team; Max. same types: 2

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
On second thoughtvsince im having problems with my HG ROM, ill just do the challenge on Diamond instead. Normal difficulty.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 21, 2014
Matze, your pokemon are:

Shuckle
Flygon
Woobuffet
Claydol
Walrain
Manetric
Braviary
Weezing
Glalie

Apologies in advance if I messed up the HMs, I'm not exactly familiar with the movesets. Just going off type.

Name: AHMYLEGS
Game: Emerald (self-hacked for challenge, see parameters)
# of Pokemon: 6

Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Parameters: No more than two of the same type on the team, no more than one single type pokemon of the same type on the team. No HM slaves, all HMs must be able to be learned by the team. A pokemon can only learn two HM moves; if a Pokemon has already learned two HM moves, another Pokemon will have to learn the move (wanna free up some move slots so a single water pokemon doesn't have four HM moves). Pokemon will be allowed to evolve. I will be doing a quick hack to make all battles double battles and remove trade requirements/crazy unorthedox requirements to evolve.

Last edited by a moderator:
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Matze, your pokemon are:

Shuckle
Flygon
Woobuffet
Claydol
Walrain
Manetric
Braviary
Weezing
Glalie

Apologies in advance if I messed up the HMs, I'm not exactly familiar with the movesets. Just going off type.

Name: AHMYLEGS
Game: Emerald (self-hacked for challenge, see parameters)
# of Pokemon: 6

Pokemon that got away:
Spoiler:

Parameters: No more than two of the same type on the team, no more than one single type pokemon of the same type on the team. No HM slaves, all HMs must be able to be learned by the team. A pokemon can only learn two HM moves; if a Pokemon has already learned two HM moves, another Pokemon will have to learn the move (wanna free up some move slots so a single water pokemon doesn't have four HM moves). Pokemon will be allowed to evolve. I will be doing a quick hack to make all battles double battles and remove trade requirements/crazy unorthedox requirements to evolve. By selecting my team you agree to be bound by the challenge terms and conditions, found here.
AHMYLEGS, you can have lapras, magnemite, scizor, growlithe, bagon and beldum. i'm pretty sure all the hm's can be learn't with this team.

i still need to know if i can switch zubat with natu since i've used zubat before

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
OP updated through post #378.

The Ones That Got Away: Pokemon X
Complete!

Ultimately, this playthrough was pretty boring and uneventful. I did really enjoy getting to use Kingler, even if I didn't get Crabhammer til the very end of the game.

Team:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 21, 2014
I went to go check off all the trainer's double battle buttons...and then I saw just how many trainers there are. Literally, a full hour just clicking checkboxes. And then when I start up the hack, it turns out that Gen 3 can't process double battles unless both sides have at least two active Pokemon.

Yeah.

So what I've noticed is that once Growlithe evolves into Arcanine the only move it will learn naturally is Extremespeed at Lvl. 49. I got rid of the trade with a held fire stone requirement for evolution and replaced it with just a friendship prerequisite. Since it will be with me for virtually the entire game it should be ready to evolve quickly. The question is going to be when I want it to. Already a really interesting playthrough and I haven't even started yet.

Bladeisbeast, your eel with be delivered to your face shortly.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Jul 15, 2015
Yeah still having difficulties with my HeartGold Emu, so just gonna try switching to Platinum and see if that helps. I will keep the same team since they are all also in that game.

So, ADJUSTING SIGN UP:

Game: Platinum
Pokemon that Got Away: (Just reusing the team that was already given to me) Golbat, Mr. Mime, Electabuzz, Heracross, Gastrodon, and Dusclops.

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Sep 21, 2014
Well my challenge hasn't been going too well.

First off I misread the evolution requirements, and it turns out that Scyther is the one who trades with a held item to evolve, not Growlithe. Had to fix that but not after catching a ton of Beldums hoping to grab one of their metal coats. Speaking of catching Beldums, they have a catch rate of 3. If you aren't familiar with catch rates, that's the same for Regirock/ice/steel. I actually had to lower it because I ran out of money to buy Pokeballs and didn't have any way to make more besides advancing through the story without it.

On the plus side it was shaping up to be an awesome playthrough. Beldum only knows Take Down but has a rather high defense in addition to being part Steel type, creating a weird sort of glass cannon until it evolves. Lapras comes with Sing early in the game as well as relatively high stats to make up for being part Ice type. Scyther doesn't actually gain an increase in total stats when it evolves, for two strategic evolution choices with Growlithe (now evolving properly with a Fire Stone). Magnemite comes with Metal Sound which I'm planning to keep until the end of the game. And Bagon...well he'll get better eventually.

If I use these guys correctly and with a bit of luck I can topple opponents of much higher level than me. Roxanne took two tries; the first my team was a Lvl. 6 average and reduced her to her last Pokemon, the next my team was a Lvl. 8 average and didn't have much problem. Brawly was tougher; I don't have any moves that are super-effective and he is performing one hit KOs. I was able to reduce him to his last Pokemon but then I blew it when I confused Mist with another move.

Oh, and did I mention MY SAVE WAS WIPED?!?!?!

Back