• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

OU Sandstorm with BW2

twindelphine

Pokemon Meister
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2014
Hey there guys! It's been a long while since I last played on Smogon, so I would like to seek your advice!

I am forming an OU team for an upcoming tournament, but I am unsure if this team is capable of even making a dent in the current OU standard.

Without further ado, this is a team that I have (theoretically) planned.

Tyranitar (Sand Stream) @ Lum Berry (Sassy)
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Stealth Rock
Pursuit
Crunch
Superpower

I decide to go on the defensive support for Tyranitar, dishing out SR when allowed to & countering predicted switches. Other moves are pretty self-explanatory.

Conkeldurr (Iron Fist) @ Leftovers (Adamant)
68 HP / 224 Atk / 252 SpD
Bulk Up
Drain Punch
Mach Punch
Ice Punch

While being more defensive than a full physically offensive setup, Iron Fist makes up for a slightly less attack. Bulk Up is used when necessary to give Conkeldurr the extra punch. Ice Punch is chosen over Payback for coverage.

Hydreigon (Leviatate) @ Choice Specs (Modest)
4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Draco Meteor
U-Turn
Fire Blast/Heat Wave
Dark Pulse

The reason for including U-Turn instead of Focus Blast is because I, for one, don't have luck in hitting with Focus Blast - roughly less than 1 in 2 chance of hitting. U-Turn is also used to avoid threats that can take out Hydreigon easily. Despite the variation, Draco Meteor is the main set. Fire Blast/Heat Wave is still undecided due to High Power/higher accuracy.

Breloom (Technician) @ Choice Band (Modest)
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Mach Punch
Bullet Seed
Low Sweep
Stone Edge

Yes, I have recently obtained a DW Shroomish from the Dream World. Breloom is an odd choice, but I find him more useful in situations where I encounter sand teams. Planned as a Choice sweeper.

Landorus (Sand Force) @ Choice Scarf (Naive)
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Earthquake
Stone Edge
U-Turn
Superpower (?)

Superpower is used instead of HP Ice (sadly, my current Landorus does not have HP Ice), but other moves are being considered for the 4th slot, like Outrage. Otherwise, Landorus as a Scarf-ed attacker is straightforward.

Metagross (Clear Body) @ Life Orb (Jolly)
4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Agility
Zen Headbutt / ThunderPunch
Earthquake
Meteor Mash

The secondary plan for Metagross is to gain speed to take on fast threats like Landorus. Zen Headbutt is the preferred choice against Fighting types, which is part of the weakness of my team, while ThunderPunch is still being considered to take on Water types.

Yes, I am aware of the glaring weaknesses of my team like Fighting & water types, but this team is still WIP. So, I hope to gain feedback from trainers like you. Thank you, & I hope to hear from you guys soon!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Conkeldurr still would rather have Guts as its main ability to let it benefit from being statused.

Superpower may be the preferred option in the last slot if you don't have HP Ice, as it helps you nail Ferrothorn.

Lati@s and Celebi are better checks for Water/Fighting 'mons; either one can go over Hydreigon:

Latias:
-Draco Meteor
-Psyshock
-Surf/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Recover/Trick
Nature: Timid
EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Specs

Latios:
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-Hidden Power (Fire)/Dragon Pulse
-Trick/Psyshock
Item: Choice Specs/Choice Scarf

or
-Draco Meteor/Dragon Pulse
-Surf
-Hidden Power (Fire)
-Recover/Psyshock
Item: Life Orb/Expert Belt

Celebi:
-Giga Drain/Psychic
-Recover
-U-turn
-Perish Song/Thunder Wave/Stealth Rock
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP/232 SDef/24 Spe
Item: Leftovers

or
-Leaf Storm
-Earth Power/Psychic/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Thunder Wave/U-turn
-Recover
Nature: Modest
EVs: 56 HP/252 SAtk/200 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Leftovers

or
-Nasty Plot
-Giga Drain
-Earth Power/Hidden Power (Fire)
-Psychic/Recover/Hidden Power (Fire)
Item: Life Orb

or
-Leaf Storm
-Hidden Power (Ice/Fire)
-Earth Power/Psychic
-Trick/U-turn
Item: Choice Scarf

Also, why the heck is Breloom Modest? Adamant or Jolly is definitely the way to go.

And if you're not using Fire Blast on Tyranitar, use a Careful nature.

Last edited:

twindelphine

Pokemon Meister
Years
  • Seen Aug 18, 2014
@ PlatinumDude: Thanks for the advice. I will see to the changes.

Looks like I may have to go with Latios for the last slot, seeing that I only have Black 2 (or Celebi, if it has the right nature). But to achieve HP Fire is hard even with RNG, which I may not consider to cover.

Back