• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Unova Battles: Lacking depth?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I liked Ash's strategy of attacking and blocking at the same time in the Sinnoh season and I would've loved to see more of that in the Unova Season, but it didn't happen. I wouldn't necessarily say that the Unova battles are boring or are lack luster, but I do think that the Sinnoh battles were the best ones because the writers seemed to put so much into it.

Years
  • Seen May 17, 2013
So recently I was thinking/talking about Ash's battle style- and the battle styles in general- in the Best Wishes series and came to the conclusion that they're really rather one-dimensional. It's become a rarity that terrain influences the battle in some way and there's been a lack of improvision involving the use of Pokémon's moves as far as I can tell. We've seen glimpses of terrain use [Subway Battle; Striaton, Mistralton and Icirrus gyms] and dashes of strategic move use [Electro Ball deflecting Stone Edge, Tag Battle Combos], but for the most part I feel as if the battles have been turn-by-turn/attack-dodge-attack-defend, very much like the games. Where's the creativity gone? It's always been the best part of battles in the anime and improvision on the fly is exactly Ash's battle style. Why do away with it?

I have to agree. It does seem like the battles are more about direct attacking than using strategy at times in-comparison to past series, there have been some nice shows of strategy. For example Emolga's battle against Sawk, Iris had Emolga use Attract over and over while Sawk was under the effect of Paralysis thanks to Static and Close Combat was being used to smash Attract. Gradually Sawk's defenses were dropping due to the recoil of Close Combat and Paralysis was gonna stop Sawk eventually. That means Emolga could go on to finish the battle with a high powered Volt Switch.

One of my biggest vices about Ash's battle against Cameron in the Unova League was the fact it just felt so non-strategic. Just attacking over and over by both parties with no regard for the use of strategy. It does feel like a large amount of the battles are a step down in a way, though there has been some strategy in a lot of the battles that I've adored and can't ignore. Oshawott's Water Gun repelling Sandstorm against Krokorok, Pikachu's smoke tunnel against Tynamo, etc. I just wish we got more of it, thankfully the upcoming Oshawott battle looks good and it seems like Ash has a strategy in mind with using Aqua Jet against Surf.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Yeah, the strategies have been... lacking. But also... I get Emolga's attract-spam against a paralysed Sawk. But it still works out in my mind as "attack attack attack" rather than "unexpected creative manoeuvre". And I'm totally going to agree with you on Ash vs Cameron- it was so, so... boring. The tension was not there; it was fairly repetitive, etc.

What I'm hoping for Decolora is less tournament-structure and more of the "use moves in creative ways to win the local competition". Obstacle courses and skill-specific stuff. I feel like that might bring a bit of flair back into the battles.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
Years
I have been watching more of the anime recently, and am beginning to see the difference. Unova battles do seem really bland. Especially compared to in Sinnoh, where the battles seem exquisite! I have to wonder how they could so drastically change the style between periods. It's almost impossible to compare them they're so different.

Years
  • Seen May 20, 2013
I saw the Unova League battles on YouTube when Ash battles against Stephen and Cameron and they seem quite bland compared to Sinnoh, Kanto, and Johto Leagues. I enjoyed the rivalries between Ash and Gary/Paul.

I felt Paul handled defeat exceptionally against Ash during the Sinnoh League. The scene when Paul says "thank you" to Electravire in appreciation of his efforts despite being defeated by Infernape was a dignified resolution of the rivalry between them, and perhaps just as good as the battles between them. Paul behavior after battle illustrated his maturity and development of his capacity to sympathize with his Pokemon. Ash's battle against Tobias, an insurmountable juggernaut, demonstrated the valor and tenacity of Ash and his Pokemon.

The battle against Charizard and Blastoise was certainly epic ... I don't know how Unova battles could compare to that.

Three Years and Four Months since my last visit here!

Back