• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Animated .gifs

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
Years
  • Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

Hi! I'm coming to you all with a question: how do I make animated .gifs transparent? Specifically so in-game they don't show up with a white box around them. I've updated some of my battler sprites with the B2/W2 Pokemon animations, but now the animations show up with a white box around them, even though everything else shows them without a white box around them.

I don't know if there's something special I have to do to the .gifs, or what it is...

Pharetra

zzzz
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2024
    The only way I can think of involves opening the .gif sprite in Photoshop and manually remove the white background on each layer. It's a lot of work though.

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
    Years
  • With .gifs you will find generally that they have actually been made with transparent backgrounds, just made with the wrong program, when it comes to RMXP; photoshop is the best program for the job.

If you have photoshop then simply click "Window - Animation" (this shows the frame-by-frame properties) open up the gif image in photoshop to check the background, once it is made transparent (if not already) click "File - Save for Web & Devices" (This gives the gif the animation property instead of a still image), once you have saved it by using 'Save for Web & Devices' the background should be transparent and should animate properly.

Skystrike

[i]As old as time itself.[/i]
    Years
  • Alright, I'll try these things and update this post with what happens.

EDIT:
    With .gifs you will find generally that they have actually been made with transparent backgrounds, just made with the wrong program, when it comes to RMXP; photoshop is the best program for the job.

If you have photoshop then simply click "Window - Animation" (this shows the frame-by-frame properties) open up the gif image in photoshop to check the background, once it is made transparent (if not already) click "File - Save for Web & Devices" (This gives the gif the animation property instead of a still image), once you have saved it by using 'Save for Web & Devices' the background should be transparent and should animate properly.
    I tried this. It doesn't do it automatically, and when I try mapping the transparent color to white, the eyes also become transparent, which is a problem.

Last edited:

Rayquaza.

Lead Dev in Pokémon Order and Chaos
    Years
  • If this is the case, this is because the white background is the same colour as the eyes. You therefor need to change the background colour.

Back