• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Stop & Frisk

Years
Spoiler:

Information in spoiler. Do you find that the controversial procedure should be considered unconstitutional/illegal because of racial bias or another reason? Do you think it actually acts as a crime deterrent? Have you ever been frisked or know of a pertinent situation involving the procedure?

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
Years
Anyone can be patted down with reasonable suspicion.

I don't see how this is controversial? It's for the safety of the officer and those around them. It's not like they are going into your pockets and pulling everything out as they would if you were under arrest. If they are frisking you in the first place you have done something to arouse their suspision, that's the whole point. Police are very selective with who and how they search. Even when it comes to vehicles (plain sight).

In every one of those 'cases' mentioned, I would have frisked/searched them too. If there was any chance of them having a weapon they get searched, doesn't matter who they are.

A cop's number one job is to come home after each shift. In the end, if you could have a weapon on you, I will think of my safety before your supposed privacy. I'm sorry about that, but it's true.

And how the hell would it be a crime deterrent. "Oh, I'm not going to sell drugs because a cop might pat the outside of my pockets." Yeah, really worry there.

Source: I was training to be a cop since I was fourteen.

Hell, I work as a security officer now, and I'm allowed to do frisks on a person once I put them in cuffs to await the police. It's all about safety, that's all.

For example, a few years ago a local officer was killed. If she had searched the woman before hand, she could have found the weapon. There was reasonable suspicion that the offender had a gun, but they did not search. It was a death that could have been prevented.

About the 'stop and frisk', if you did something to arouse suspicion, pfft, your fault, not the cops.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years
I... don't see the controversy either, actually. I've been frisked in the airport before, and while it's insanely invasive I walk into the airport with the understanding that it could happen to me and that I have to prepare for it accordingly. Now obviously that's not the same as getting stopped in the streets, but I think that in a reasonable and democratic society the police should be allowed to do that with the interests of the safety of the public.

I don't about any laws in the states, but in Canada women are legally allowed to ask to be patted down by another woman for their safety and security so I can't really see any huge issues either.

Phantom1

Years
I don't about any laws in the states, but in Canada women are legally allowed to ask to be patted down by another woman for their safety and security so I can't really see any huge issues either.

It's the same here. Actually a lot of male officer's won't even start to search a woman, they'll have called a woman officer already.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
^Guys, Stop & Frisk is so much more than being "randomly" selected at an airport. Minorities literally can get stopped, searched, while being treated like **** multiple times in a few minutes while just walking somewhere. Its harrassment. A lot of officers actually try to incite a reason for arrest by harrassing people, because the moment you get sick of their crap is the moment the cuffs and tasers come out (if they arent already for no good reason). Its disgusting and needs to be made unconstitutional. I mean, do you really think wasting peoples time and physically assaulting them because their skin color makes you suspicious is okay?

Last edited:

Phantom1

Years
^Guys, Stop & Frisk is so much more than being "randomly" selected at an airport. Minorities literally can get stopped, searched, while being treated like **** multiple times in a few minutes while just walking somewhere. Its harrassment. A lot of officers actually try to incite a reason for arrest by harrassing people, because the moment you get sick of their crap is the moment the cuffs and tasers come out. Its disgusting and needs to be made unconstitutional.

I know what a stop and frisk is. I was in training to become a cop. I was a police explorer for almost seven years.

I know what I am talking about.

One, in the OP, the events described are NOT stop and frisks.

Example of a stop and frisk:

An officer is on a beat, they come across an individual acting suspiciously. They approach the person, who continues to act on edge and their seems to be moving toward their left side pocket, all while the officer is asking what the person is up to. They believe that that person could have a weapon. They ask the person to move out of the way, against their squad most likely, and they frisk them, asking them if they have any weapons. As the officer touches the pocket they feel a hard object, most likely metal, and long. They remove it, and find a small .22 gun.
That is a stop and frisk.

The person isn't under arrest. They haven't done anything wrong. Yet. The weapon will be 'safe'd'The officer will ask about the weapon, asking for a permit, then run the serial number on the gun, and run the person. An officer can run your ID at any time. They will also probably ask for backup, dealing with a firearm after all.

The person will be arrested if, say, they are violating probation, have a warrant, etc. Then an officer will do a full search and take them to jail where they will be searched AGAIN.

CUFFS DO NOT ALWAYS MEAN YOU'RE UNDER ARREST. THEY CAN COME OFF AS EASILY AS THEY GO ON.

They are there for the officer's safety.

Probable cause and reasonable suspicion aren't just for the officers, they are your constitutional right. Are all cops perfect? No. A cop cannot frisk/search you without it, if they do, you can file against them. It's your right. They CAN stop you however many times they wish.

Also they can't 'incite a reason for arrest'... what do you even mean by that anyways, it barely makes sense. If there is a reason to arrest someone, there is a reason to arrest someone.

Also tossing minorities is just barking into the wind. If that's the only argument against a cop's safety and the safety of other's is because 'they only stopped me because I'm X'

They would not randomly stop you if you weren't acting suspicious.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years
In both of your stories someone is acting "suspicious". If everyone who got stopped and frisked was actually suspicious for things other than their race, wouldn't the arrest rate be a bit higher? Stop and Frisk was made with good intentions, but its easily abused in keeping power over monorities. Sorry, but if someone walking down a street (e.g. nearly all stop and frisk victims) makes you worried that is called paranoia, and when minorities make you "nervous" and feel "suspicious" at rates several times higher than whites that is also called prejudice and racism.

Bottom line, Stop and Frisk is too invasive and utilized too poorly to be allowed, considering how ineffective its proven to be.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
What constitutes suspicion?

People can be stopped for even the most minute reasons, and frisks are extremely violating, regardless of whether it's outside of the clothes or not. It's one of the few procedures I have no liking for. Perhaps I'm more against it because I've been sexually harassed by a policeman before; to be stopped and frisked by one would be unbearably violating. I think of any pat-down in a public place (besides the airport, where it's unfortunately more necessary) as sexual harassment. Sorry, but no one should have any right to touch me without my permission, even a cop.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years
^Guys, Stop & Frisk is so much more than being "randomly" selected at an airport. Minorities literally can get stopped, searched, while being treated like **** multiple times in a few minutes while just walking somewhere. Its harrassment. A lot of officers actually try to incite a reason for arrest by harrassing people, because the moment you get sick of their crap is the moment the cuffs and tasers come out (if they arent already for no good reason). Its disgusting and needs to be made unconstitutional. I mean, do you really think wasting peoples time and physically assaulting them because their skin color makes you suspicious is okay?

Now obviously that's not the same as getting stopped in the streets, but I think that in a reasonable and democratic society the police should be allowed to do that with the interests of the safety of the public.

I was aware. If it's really an issue though can't you make an argument for racial profiling and take that to the judiciary system? An actual quesiton.

Years
I... don't see the controversy either, actually. I've been frisked in the airport before, and while it's insanely invasive I walk into the airport with the understanding that it could happen to me and that I have to prepare for it accordingly. Now obviously that's not the same as getting stopped in the streets, but I think that in a reasonable and democratic society the police should be allowed to do that with the interests of the safety of the public.

It is indeed quite different when it's on a street, in a park, <insert public place here>, etc. But even in airports, say a major international one, have a seat and see how many people of 'Middle Eastern descent' or 'appearance' get stopped, searched, or even just stared at or given dirty looks. In either practice, there's a racial element.

Star-Lord

withdrawl .
Years
It is indeed quite different when it's on a street, in a park, <insert public place here>, etc. But even in airports, say a major international one, have a seat and see how many people of 'Middle Eastern descent' or 'appearance' get stopped, searched, or even just stared at or given dirty looks. In either practice, there's a racial element.

I know. I've been searched before. There's a matter of there being a racial element but that isn't a fault of the practice itself? The practice itself has practical uses (As it managed to catch my friends with alcohol - That's what they get for being drunk in public; I was intoxicated as well but had ditched mine) and like I already said earlier, in a reasonable and democratic society there should be an element that the police are allowed to temporarily restrict your rights for the greater good. It's not so much the practice that's bad, but more the racial situation in the states itself imo.

Crux

Evermore
Years
People, people, people. . . Let's try to not change the actual procedure into a racial attack. 'Stop and Frisk' in and of itself was founded on the idea of safety, not racial bias. If people of any race are stopped for no reason then they can file a report against the officer who stopped them. But the discrimination comes from perpetrator, not the act.

As much as I want to disagree with this, as it does infringe on the rights of the people to give an unwarranted search against the preference of the person, honestly this does more good than evil.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
People, people, people. . . Let's try to not change the actual procedure into a racial attack. 'Stop and Frisk' in and of itself was founded on the idea of safety, not racial bias. If people of any race are stopped for no reason then they can file a report against the officer who stopped them. But the discrimination comes from perpetrator, not the act.

As much as I want to disagree with this, as it does infringe on the rights of the people to give an unwarranted search against the preference of the person, honestly this does more good than evil.

It's not supposed to be racial, but it is. No one can deny that. On average, more blacks are stopped and frisked than whites are, and it has become a method for policemen to indirectly racially profile people they see on the streets without truly knowing whether or not those people pose any sort of threat to the public.

A federal judge in New York City, Shira Scheindlin, found that stop-and-frisk was unconstitutional in that it allowed for indirect racial profiling. She claimed that it had led to an unreasonable increase in stops of minorities who would've otherwise been let go had they been white. 83% of stops were stops of minorities (which is over 50% of the city's population), and nearly 90% of the time the policemen initiating the stops and frisks were wrong about the "imminent danger" these people "seemed to possess". Look up "New York City stop-and-frisk" on Youtube and you'll find a plethora of videos where citizens of New York City, mostly minorities, are interviewed about their experiences with policemen and the harassment and embarrassment they suffered from unreasonable stops and frisks.

You could say that this is only applicable to New York City, but it can be applied to any city with a large minority population. Whether or not we want to admit it, we are still heavily discriminating against minorities, and stop and frisk is another way to engage in that activity under the guise of "the law".

Read this article if you'd like: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/13/nyregion/stop-and-frisk-practice-violated-rights-judge-rules.html?pagewanted=1&_r=0

Years
I don't think we really touched on the fact that Stop & Frisk is a largely discredited procedure when it comes to NYC. And here's a neat little archive that demonstrates just how warped it is:

2002 was the first year Bloomberg was in office. That year, there were only 97,296 forcible stops. Comparing 2002 to 2011, we see an astounding 600% increase in forcible stops – with 685,724 reported in 2011. These stops were overwhelmingly of minority youth.

In 2011, there were 191,666 recorded index crimes. So, while the overall drop in crime from 1990 is 73%, the 600% increase in stops after 2002 translates into a relatively small 9% net decrease in crime. In short, almost all the crime drop that NYPD brags about occurred before the ramping-up of the stop-and-frisk tactic.

The issue becomes murkier when we examine statistics on murder – and Mayor Bloomberg has claimed that stop-and-frisk is essential to keeping guns off the street. In 1990, there were 2,245 murders in New York City. By 2002, again before the stop-and-frisk increase, the number of murders drastically decreased to 586. This is a whopping 74% decrease in murders. After the 600% increase in stop-and-frisks, New York City recorded 515 murders in 2011 – a fairly small drop.

Making matters more complicated is that the number of murders went down in 2012, to 419, but stops during the corresponding period also dramatically decreased to 533,042 (as the NYPD began to scale back the tactic in the face of criticism). This means there were 152,682 fewer forcible stops, yet the murder rate still went down: fewer stops coincided with fewer murders. In other words, the relationship between forcible stops, index crime and, crucially, murder, is far more complicated and far different than the mayor and the police commissioner would like us to think.

The numbers don't lie, despite what Bloomberg wants you to think. Not only were the vast amount of people frisked minorities, they were also youth. An unfortunate stereotype. That is clear-cut racial profiling. Not only that, but the cities overall murder rate in 2012 fell, just as the NYPD scaled back the practice. So the procedures' merits are pretty dubious.

Now obviously, this is New York, and I wouldn't quite say that the same can been said of other large american cities, unless the city has a similar ethnic diversity, similar socioeconomic status, etc. I'd be interested to see Chicago's stats.

Phantom1

Years
You're missing what me and the others who agree with me are arguing for.

In and of itself, without the racial profiling, without the ageism or whatever, is a safety proceedure. Is it faulted because it's left to interpretation by the officer's who may have tendencies to do things that aren't right? Yes, of course. This isn't a topic about racial profiling. This isn't a topic about searching youth or minors. It's a topic about the ACT, not the why, not the 'on who', the act.

Silais

That useless reptile
Years
  • Seen Jul 17, 2016
Information in spoiler. Do you find that the controversial procedure should be considered unconstitutional/illegal because of racial bias or another reason? Do you think it actually acts as a crime deterrent? Have you ever been frisked or know of a pertinent situation involving the procedure?

This was the OP's first statement. Going off of this paragraph, the topic of discussion is whether or not stop and frisk is unconstitutional because of racial bias (or other reasons). So it seems to me that it is about the "why" and the "on who" and not just specifically on the act itself. You cannot discuss stop-and-frisk without discussing the repercussions of the procedure and the potential harm it can cause; focusing simply on the "inherent" goodness of an act without attempting to tackle the problems this act can cause is a major no-no in criminal justice.

Phantom1

Years
How about a cop dies because people who thought it was 'wrong' to stop and frisk made it unconstitutional? What if an officer is killed on duty because they couldn't make sure that the person they were dealing with was unarmed?

I think when it comes to a loss of life vs. a few moments of discomfort or embarassment, preventing the loss of life wins.

EDIT: About the racial thing. You're looking at it from one side. I understand that it there are those who racially profile, and will 'stop someone because they're x', but you know what? There are GOOD officers out there, good people, good honest people that honestly just want to make things safer for everyone and want to help people.

Should those officers loose the ability to be able to put themselves in a safer situation because of the actions/beliefs/morality of a few? If an officer pulls someone over 'just because they are x', then that officer should be dealt with, not the entire system, or laws. Which is, what YOU ALREADY ARE ABLE TO DO. If someone is stopped for what they think is an inappropriate reason, or that the officer did not have enough suspicion to do so besides race or determining factor of the like then you CAN take them to court on the issue. And the officer can get fired for such actions, and do all the time.

Last edited:
Years
You're missing what me and the others who agree with me are arguing for.

In and of itself, without the racial profiling, without the ageism or whatever, is a safety proceedure. Is it faulted because it's left to interpretation by the officer's who may have tendencies to do things that aren't right? Yes, of course. This isn't a topic about racial profiling. This isn't a topic about searching youth or minors. It's a topic about the ACT, not the why, not the 'on who', the act.

I don't disagree with that premise, I think you're right. That being said, however, there are many things which sound great theoretically, sound great on paper, then bomb in terms of practicality or functionality. It's based on the assumption that the officer will act without any undue influence and will be rational and objective at all times. Nobody, no matter how hard they try, can be completely objective I think. All the police officers (this goes for people in general) can't be monitored or forced to make the right call, every waking second while they're on duty. I don't think New York's S&F procedures account for human nature, for chance, etc. There will always be unforeseen circumstances which will complicate things. Which is why it's ultimately doomed, at least in New York City- those crime statistics are damning. Any other major U.S. city on par with New York in terms of size, socioeconomic status, etc, a Chicago, Los Angeles, etc, will see results like New York. Now, I do think you could implement it in a city several orders of magnitude smaller than NYC, and it could very well work.

Back