• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mainstream Music Is Improving

Years
I never listen to radio, but I always check the charts to see what garbage has made it this week. The US charts always seem infinitely better than what is here in the UK, but maybe that's because there is more hip-hop in the US charts instead of generic pop star doing a dance track.

If I look at the UK's current chart there's two good songs, Pompeii - Bastille (good far from their best song though) and I Need Your Love - Calvin Harris (which to most people would just be a boring electronic track, but I like Ellie Goulding). So it's not getting much better in my opinion, any good songs that make it to the chart I tend to have heard months before anyway, so radio is pretty pointless for me.

droomph

weeb
Years
It's still the same, just sounds different.

I will say that I've always loved any type of music as long as it's a sound played in a certain way. Hip-hop, jazz, dubstep, classical, rock, tribal music, I'm all over the place with my music. I certainly don't mind it changing, because bring the horribles on, I'll enjoy them to defy your will.

I laugh at people who "hate" any certain type of music; they don't know what they're missing out on. It's one of the joys of life, and you should learn to love all of it.

That's not to say I'll listen maniacally to any type of music at any time though. If I'm tired, I'll be less prone to listening to new genres of music than if I'm actively searching for music.

Rest

Showstealer Pro: Trial Version
Years
It's one of the joys of life, and you should learn to love all of it.

I tell my friends this whenever they have a prejudice against a certain genre. It's typical for people to hate a certain type of music just because of that one or two songs that come up that they're not fond of. I think people shouldn't readily shoot down a certain type of music just because it's in the top 40 (or it's a genre they hate). It's all about developing your own opinion and developing your own taste, and this can be done by listening to an artist's album and reading articles on its production, for example. You'll learn to appreciate music more. Keep an open mind.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
imo music hasn't been good since '00. All I ever hear people talking about is Lady Gaga, Niki Minaj and Katy Perry. They're all horrible. Every one of their songs. Not to mention, the lyrics, music videos and just general behaviour of the artists (on-stage and off) is distasteful and hyper-sexual. I can't listen to any music nowadays without some sort of phrase relating to sex, "getting it on," making out or "check out dat bootay." There was this one song about summer love that my sister wouldn't stop listening to - I think it was by S.T.E.R.E.O. or something? Wouldn't know - how a girl should forget everything, "get it on" with him (it's summer after all!) and then drop it afterwards. 'Cause that's what tweens should be listening to. That's what's good for 'em.

I shouldn't be hearing a six-year-old singing about bootay calls on the bus, either. Then to top it off, their parents laugh and call it "cute"! What's cute about that?

Some beats are good, but every song is constantly ruined by lyrics. I'll stick to Beethoven, the Beatles and Coldplay until artists (and actors, for that matter) shape up. We need James Cameron to come o'er and raise the bar.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
I know this thread was made in February, but right now in the lovely month of April, there are some good songs on the radio. I'm not gonna sit here and list them all, but I find the radio so much more tolerable now than I did back in January. There a lot of great singles out right now and I think 2013 is starting to find its musical place and right now, I say it's way ahead of 2012. This time last year, we were still hearing the "generic club beat" songs with no fire, no back bone, and sounded similar to everything else. The radio was unbearable, honestly. Right now though, there are so many different sounding songs and a better mixture of what's mainstream right now. I really like it, and I wish it could always be this way, if not better. When I tune in to the hits station here, I hear so many good things. Country (one with hip-hop blends!), rock, electric, pop (from men and women!), and it's just golden. If anything, that blend of mainstream music alone has helped tremendously. Normally it's either all pop or all hip-hop and it gets boring. There's more variety at the moment.

This is coming from someone that loves music of all kinds though, so don't take this whole thing as fact. I think highly of music of all kinds and there's only one artist I think is trash, so...!

Back