• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3 New species found in Australian rainforest

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    31_Leaftail_Gecko_AFP.jpg

Treecko exists!

The Independent said:
    On a remote mountain range, in a patch of rainforest isolated for millions of years, Australian scientists have discovered three previously unknown vertebrates, living in a place they are calling "a lost world".

The trio – found in the mountains of Cape Melville, in far north-eastern Australia – include the leaf-tailed gecko, a relic from the Gondwanan era, when Australia was part of a "supercontinent" covered in rainforest.

Also identified by Dr Conrad Hoskin, from James Cook University, were a golden-coloured skink and a boulder-dwelling frog. All three are found only in that area, where black granite boulders are piled hundreds of metres high.

"These species are restricted to the upland rainforest and boulder fields of Cape Melville," Dr Hoskin said. "They've been isolated for millennia, evolving into distinct species in their unique rocky environment."

If you're wondering, yes the main reason I brought this up is because of a "leaf-tailed gecko" fitting the profile of a certain pokémon...but also because it's really cool that we've found new species in a "developed" country as opposed to racing against time to find them in South America before their land is turned into a mine / farm.

Years
  • Omigosh that is awesome! I can see Australia as a goldmine for new species though, it's got a huge range of habitats, some of which are close to the equator and hardly anybody lives there! I've heard Darwin is pretty tropical :P

Years
  • Oh they'll still kill you. They'll sneak into your bedroom at night and knife you. Welcome to Australia :)

Anyway, it's good to see we've found some new species here in Australia. Hopefully this area is protected, or at least will be soon if it is the only place these animals are found.

@Blah - You're quite right. We have so many different habitats here (not just the large desert patch we are somewhat famous for) and are of course isolated geographically so it isn't exactly a surprise that we're finding newly discovered species here. I have to say though, three at once is rather unusual for memory - "new" species don't usually show up in droves (this suggests to me that they really might be exclusively found in that location).

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    Brandy and Mr. Whiskers, anyone?

--

That's nice, Australia! Now make peace with your native tribes so we can learn fully about the Songlines and turn music into a weapon! Do it.

--

I'm going to catch it, go to the pokemon world, and see what it looks like. If it's a Treecko, I'll say it's a Shiny. If it's not, I'll see if it can breed with Treeckoes.

Breeeeeeeediiiiiiiiiiing...

Either way, still SCIENCE!!!

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Finally! Something that won't kill you!

Thankyou, Australia has alot of animals that won't hurt you it's just idiot tourists and kids who watch to much TV about Australia made by Americans and think walking up to a Kangaroo and feeding it musli bars won't scare them at all and you are "safe". Honestly I am not surprised about finding new things in this convict colony.

Also are they on the endangered list yet or what is going on with that, I think like every native animal here is on there.

Oh they'll still kill you. They'll sneak into your bedroom at night and knife you. Welcome to Australia :)

They won't knife us they will SHANK us. welcome to the Central Coast NSW choots swag {insert more weird stuff here}

Years
  • I'm glad we're still finding new things out there in the world. I've worried that we killed off everything we don't already know about, but here again we see something new nature has provided us to keep us interested and, maybe, help us to think again about what we do to all the different habitats around the world.

shadowmoon522

Master of Darkness & Light
    Years
    • Age 33
    • PA
    • Seen Apr 28, 2024
    this planet still holds many secrets, no human has yet to get to the deepest part of the sea for example.

KittenKoder

I Am No One Else
    Years
  • This ... doesn't surprise me. It is cool though, news like this is always cool. But why it doesn't surprise me is that rainforests are difficult to catalog, and thus there are tons of species yet discovered in all of them. They are difficult to catalog because evolutionary events happen a lot there, so a lot of the new species discovered are actually really new. The ecology of the rainforest is constantly changing, balances of power and resources are never stable, one of the reasons people get away with calling them "delicate" even though the wildlife there is tougher than most environments.

The truly awesome thing is that every new species we discover in rainforests helps us to understand biological sciences even more, leading to more medical advances for our own species.

Back