• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

GTAVC Problem

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    I'm having problems with GTA Vice City. Everytime I exit out of the game my mouse stops working. So I use my keyboard to shut down or restart my computer but it refuses to do anything at all. So then I just switch the power button on the back of my computer and it goes back to normal. It's not that big of a problem but it gets annoying having to restart the computer everytime I finished massacring people. So anyone know how to deal with this?

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    Are you sure it's not a problem while switching resolutions or too much memory use
    during the game? Or maybe an infinite loop occurrence. (not likely)

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    I've had GTAVC for a while and I've never had problems with it. The resolutions I use are the same as my desktop. I doubt it's a memory problem because I've set Norton to give me a pop-up whenever I have only 100MB of RAM left open.

perthskies

Nostalgic
    Years
  • So pressing the keys on the Keyboard has no effect whatsoever? Are you able to get into the Task Manager and check the CPU Usage? Or see if anything isn't responding? Perhaps something has crashed or something when you exit. Also, is the game patched to the latest version?

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    I don't even know how to patch the freaking thing. Yes, my keyboard still works which is how I attempt to shut down. I did get into Task Manager and the CPU usage was only 10-20 percent.

perthskies

Nostalgic
    Years
  • Hmm... I just looked at the offical site... seems there aren't any offical patches.

Did you recently make any big changes to your system? Install any new stuff? Etc.? Perhaps it's something to do with your video or audio card drivers. How recent are they?

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    I have a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB video card an a C-Media audio card which my computer gives a crazy name (CMI8738/C3DX) so I have no idea what it's specs are. I spent half an hour today looking for stuff to add-on to my cards like updayes or something but I haven't found anything. I went on to the offical websites but I can't figure anything of what they say. Only thing I've installed recently is MSN Messenger, Messenger Plus!, Ad-Aware, SpyBot and...yeah. I think that's all.

Gr8person62.2

*Insert_Evil_Music_Here*
    Years
  • Thats my Video card! How fun

You know, I doubt it's any form of hardware problem. It's most likely just one of the many common bugs that you come accross in an OS. If your using Windows, I'l say no more. Don't bother fixing the problem, it could be caused by thousands of things. I say put up with it until you get bored of the game..

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    Get bored? Get bored!?! GET BORED!?!?!?! I WILL NEVER GET BORED OF THE GAME. DO YOU KNOW HOW FUN IT IS KILLING PEOPLE? RUNNING PEOPLE OVER WITH TANKS? SHOOTING ROCKETS AT RANDOM PLANES WITH A MILTARY WHIRLY? BEATING UP HOOKERS?? GETTING SHOT AT??? RIDING A PCJ-600 AND THEN HITTING A POLE TO BE SENT FLYING SOME 100 YARDS AWAY??? DO OYU KNOW HOW FUN ALL OF THAT IS!?!?! I WILL NEVER GET BORED!!!! AHAHAHAH!! *head explodes*

Until GTA San Andreas comes out anyways...

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    I just finished re-installing it. Not sure if it's fixed yet though. Haven't played it since the reinstallation.

Okay, it's working now. Seems like it. I just opened it up and exited right away without actually playing though. I have another question. What's Direct Texture Compression? I just read the ReadMe for GTAVC and it mentioned that extra space would be needed for the installion if my video didn't support Direct Texture Compression. So what is it and does a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB support it?

Last edited:

Gr8person62.2

*Insert_Evil_Music_Here*
    Years
  • My guess is that it does have this "direct texture compression". I threw out the box last week, I wish I hadn't, but I'm guessing that it does. I'm not sure what it is.. it's probably what it says. It does texture compression.. directly.. Um.. I dunno!

Years
    • Seen Aug 4, 2015
    Yeah...I don't understand a single thing that page just said. Anyways...would a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 128MB video card have it?

And as for my GTAVC problem, it's partially fixed. My mouse and everything works after exitting it and I can do other stuff. But I still can't shut down. The shutting down problem might not be the GTAVC causing it though. I leave my computer on for 18 hours everyday and half the time I'm not even there. *goes to play GTAVC*

Back