• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate Doubles/Triples Sun Team

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
  • How good is this team?

Haxorus M; Dragon; Mold Breaker; Jolly; Lum Berry;

EV Spread: Atk/Spd

Moveset:
    Superpower, Iron Tail, Swords Dance, Outrage

Volcarona F "Parallax"; Bug/Fire; Flame Body; Hasty; Charcoal;

EV Spread: SpA/Spd

Moveset:
    Heat Wave, Solarbeam, Morning Sun, Bug Buzz

Cherimm M; Grass; Flower Gift; Quirky; Grass Gem;

EV Spread: 100 Hp / 100 Def / 100SpA / 100SpD / 110Spd

Moveset:
    Protect, Morning Sun, Solarbeam, Helping Hand

Typhlosion M "Flare"; Fire; Blaze; Mild; Fire Gem;

EV Yield: SpA/Spd

Moveset:
    Solarbeam, Focus Blast, Eruption, Sunny Day

Ninetales F "Pyrrha"; Fire; Drought; Modest; Passho Berry;

Moveset:
    Energy Ball, Heat Wave, Solarbeam, Extrasensory

Manectric M ; Electric; Static; Hasty; Focus Sash;

Moveset:
    Thunder Wave, Magnet Rise, Thunder, Overheat

Tell me what you suggest, unless your suggesting limited edition DW Ability Pokemon like Solar Power Charmander.

The Double/Triple Team strategy focuses on Multi Hit moves like Heat Wave and making them 1HKO.

Last edited:

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Doubles:

Why have Drought Ninetales and a Typhlosion with Sunny Day? Redundant. Your opponent will either change your weather or they won't. But wasting a move on a weather changing move is dangerous if not outright deadly. Your opponents will be hitting you straight off from turn one and there will be very little setting up that is really common in singles.

I can tell you straight off that you're severely weak to Earthquake, which is very common in doubles. Weak to rock moves as well. Two pokemon you will have to look out for, Politoed and Ludicolo. The only sort of Politoed and Ludicolo you'll find in doubles are DrizzleToed and Swift Swim Ludicolo and the only one in your team who isn't weak to the pair is Manetric and the poor guy will die to a double Surf. Doubles is all about hitting as hard as you can as fast as you can, and hoping your own Pokemon can survive getting smacked around. Your team is a glass cannon: most of it will strike hard, but they'll die pretty fast too. You're relying too heavily on Solar Beam as well.

Haxorus - No to Swords Dance. Your opponent will not give you a chance in either doubles or triples to let you set up. No to any self-stat increasing move, actually unless you're doing a Swagger-Lum combo, or some really good other plan that won't get you killed before you can attack. You also must not lower your own stats so Superpower is out as well. Nature is usable but if you want power, go Adamant. Change moveset to either one of these:

Item: Choice Scarf|Choice Band
    ~ Dragon Claw / Dual Chop / Outrage
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Rock Slide / Brick Break
    ~ Brick Break / X-Scissor / Outrage

Item: Life Orb|Yache Berry|Lum Berry
    ~ Dragon Claw / Dual Chop
    ~ Earthquake / Rock Slide
    ~ Rock Slide / Brick Break / X-Scissor
    ~ Protect

Protect is good for preserving your Haxorus for a little while longer. Sometimes you can get lucky with your predictions and end up protecting a double attack from your opponent.

Volcarona: Nature needs to be either Timid or Modest. Hasty lowers its already meager defense. If you're set on keeping SolarBeam, then give it a Power Herb. Don't rely on the sun to charge your moves. Otherwise, give it Focus Sash. Change Morning Sun to Hidden Power Ice or Ground. If you're having trouble with water types, feel free to change it to Hidden Power Grass, instead.

Cherrim: Two words, dead weight. Switch this thing out completely. May I interest you in Gastrodon? Its Storm Drain ability completely nullifies all water moves used against your party so this can help greatly with your weakness to water moves.
    Bold Gastrodon w/ Rindo Berry|Sitris Berry|Leftovers
    ~ Surf / Muddy Water
    ~ Icy Wind / Ice Beam
    ~ Toxic / Earth Power
    ~ Recover / Protect

Typhlosion: Mild? Switch to Timid. Unfortunately, this thing will also likely die in 1 turn. Change Sunny Day to either Hidden Power Ground or Protect. Be wary of the accuracy of Focus Blast.

Ninetales: Drop Solarbeam and Extrasensory and replace it with either Hidden Power Ice|Grass, Will-o-wisp or Protect. Will-o-wisp will cripple physical attackers. If you've set sun and your opponent has a Tyranitar, with the proper prediction you can burn it and cripple it badly as it switches in. Hidden Power for coverage and handling either dragons or water, Protect for a bit more surviving.

Manetric: Another glass cannon. Do you want to try something bulkier but does the same thing? Try using Zapdos. I can't tell you how many people I've pissed off using this thing. It's wonderful.

Standard Smogon Zapdos
    Modest w/ Sitris Berry|Charti Berry|Yache Berry
    140 HP|252 SpA|116 Spe
    ~ Thunderbolt / Discharge
    ~ Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
    ~ Heat Wave
    ~ Protect / Tailwind

My set
    Zapdos w/ Leftovers|Sitris Berry|Charti Berry|Yache Berry
    EVs: 252 HP|116 SpA|140 Speed
    Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Grass
    Thunderbolt / Thunder / Discharge
    Heat Wave
    Roost / Protect

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • ^ The reason why Typhlosion has Sunny Day is because in the event that Ninetales goes down and the weather gets changed, Typhlosion can get it back up.

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Well, yes, but fact is if you use Typhlosion to get Sunny Day back up, it'll be dead the turn it came out, 50-50 you'll get Sunny Day up. You're better off using Drought Vulpix holding Focus Sash throwing around status moves. At least it's guaranteed sun. I've fought a Vulpix/Ninetales combo and it was very irritating, at the least.

Last edited:

.MiKeY

Tank Operator
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    Having something for backup that can setup weather via an attack rather than ability would be much better especially when the alternative is a Vulpix. Although I would elect a much bulkier Pokemon than Typhlosion as it's much too frail and will like be brought down on the turn it sets up the sun.

I've never tried a Sun team otherwise I would reccomend other alternatives as to what should be setting it up.

I'd say Rotom-H but I have honestly never seen one setting up sun. xD

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • How would it be better? No matter which pokemon you pick that can set up Sunny Day, they're all inferior to Vulpix in doubles. All for the same reason too, because they will die in 2 turns, if not the first if it is being targeted. No chance of that thing getting off a single attack.

Okay, let's do a scenario. Your opponent has 2 'mon out and doesn't know that Typhlosion (or other 'mon here) has Sunny Day. Say on the switch they use double surf. Your weather-setter is either dead or gonna be dead by round 2, assuming they want to kill it. If the opponent ignores it, you get Sun up and maybe a hit or 2 in. If your opponent doesn't ignore it, it's dead the turn after you send it out, at the latest. Even if they don't double surf, they might target your setter or they might not. But go ahead and try to set that weather. Even if the sun gets set up, it's unlikely that your setter will survive.

Second scenario. Your opponent has two 'mon out and knows that you have a Vulpix. You switch in Vulpix with Focus Sash, Drought takes effect, voila! Instant sun. Your opponent has to either kill the Vulpix ASAP, risk getting hit with Toxic, Hypnosis, or Will-o-wisp, or counter the weather switch-in with their own weather-setter, or just fight normally. Vulpix doesn't have to fight. That's what your other 3 'mon are for. It does its job just by being sent in.

So what do you want? A maybe chance for NON-PERMANENT sun? Or a 100% chance of permanant sun and maybe crippling statuses?

Remember that this is doubles, not singles. Anything that is carrying a weather-changing move is a potential dead-weight. Doubles battles are much faster, there is very little room for setting up, if any at all.

Last edited:

.MiKeY

Tank Operator
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    Because anything else you choose would be better than Vulpix, it can literally do nothing outside of reseting up sun.

I use a Bronzong on my rain team to setup Rain Dance, to either shut down enemy weather changes or to reset my rain, I realize that rain's only option for setting up is Politoed and nothing else. But Vulpix is just way too frail to be on any Doubles team, it would be a sitting duck while your opponent kills off all of you other mons while Vulpix can't do really anything at all. Manually setting up weather can also disrupt your opponent's flow of battle, like for instance they bring out a weather starter to bring out rain, then the turn after you use Sunny Day, you have literally put a damper on their plans, then to setup their weather they have to switch in and out their weather starter taking damage when they could have just had an alternative way to setup weather. I think moves like Sunny Day and Rain Dance are good to use as well, due to the shifting of momentum from one weather change to another.

All in all I think Vulpix would be a bad decision due to the fact of it not being able to do anything but setup sun and then die, or be a sitting duck and having other things out there that can do the job just fine. Sure it can cause burn things but as I said before other things could do it better, Rotom-H can get both Sunny Day and WoW, I dunno, just my opinion.

Back