• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Best Type?

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
As a general type, I'm giving my vote to Ghost. It's immune to Fighting and Normal (more importantly, Rapid Spin) and three abilities on prominent Ghost types give them third immunities (Levitate, Water Absorb, and Flash Fire). SpA-centric Ghost types generally have good movepools that can be supplemented with a good Hidden Power, defensive ones have nice abilities, and (bias) my personal favorite Pokemon is Prankster Sableye.

EJ

everything is purple
Years
  • Age 31
  • FL
  • Seen Mar 19, 2022
Dragon is easily the best in my book (not my favorite type) statistically speaking, it has great stat averages, resistances to fairly common types, and it's only weak to two types per se.

GhastlyGastly

Crazy Pokémon Lady
Years
In that light, well done GhastlyGastly, I'm having trouble making a substantial answer to your reply. I will say however that Water-types are a bit more defensive and thought-provoking than the powerhouse types. With Psychic/Ghost/Dragon the strengths are readily evident; this is less so with Water and Normal. You may want to practice using them and see what you think thereafter... though I could also tell myself the same regarding Ghosts. You do seem to be answering for both Ghost and Psychic though; what if you had to pick one? Can you argue Ghost's superiority to Psychic (or vice versa)?

But are Water's weaknesses actually more severe than those of other types?
Electric and Grass can rarely if ever use moves of each other's types, so a Water counter can generally match them on a one-to-one basis.

Yes, indeed Water-types can be daunting at times for their defensive aspect; I'll grant you that. I suppose Water's weaknesses aren't quite as severe as, say, Poison's weakness to Psychic and Ground, but the Grass and Electric weaknesses are undeniably dangerous due to the fact that few Water-types are even close to fast enough to last against an Electric-type, and when something like a Water/Ground Quagsire or Seismitoad is brought out, the weakness to Grass is simply intensified. Water-types are indeed extremely useful at times, but I find that they have less sheer versatility and power than, for instance, Psychic- and Ghost-types.

And if I had to choose between Psychic and Ghost (mind you, the choice is very hard), I might choose Psychic; I'd be amazed to find even a single Psychic-type which couldn't learn Shadow Ball to counter Ghosts, and some of the best Psychics (some of my favorites are Alakazam and Mewtwo, for instance) can learn attacks like Focus Blast and Aura Sphere to counter their weakness to Dark-types. It is a very hard decision though... A good Gengar or Spiritomb can be a god if used correctly.

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Water and Ice are my favorite types, as you can see by my username and avatar. I used all types though when I played the games. Sure, they have their weaknesses, like Water is weak against Electric and Grass and Ice is weak against Fire, Rock, Steel and Fighting, but they are the unsung types and very powerful if you train them right. I was excited to find there is a Dragon/Ice type named Reshiram that seems nearly indestructable.

I think the most powerful types are Dragon, Ghost and Psychic types, with Fire and Dark coming in close. Dragon only has 2 weaknesses (itself and Ice) and are harder to take down due to their stats. Ghosts are immune to Normal and Fighting and have super effectiveness against other Ghost-types and Psychic-types and are only weak against other Ghosts and Dark-types. Psychic-types were untouchable during Generation I. Fire-types have a wide range of powerful moves that can overwhelm most of the types. Dark-types are only weak to Bug and Fighting but deal critical damage to Ghost and Psychic-types.

It's hard to say which type is the best though, as they all have advantages and disadvantages. Another factor is mixing types together, like Dark/Ghost (Sableye) and Ghost/Dark (Spiritomb). They have no weaknesses because the Ghost aspect won't allow Fighting moves to target them and their Dark attribute keeps Psychic moves from targeting them. They also resist Poison moves and are damaged normally by all the other types that can still hit them. Tynamo and its evolutionary line also have no weaknesses because of their Levitate ability, which does not allow Electric's sole weakness, Ground, to hit them, and all other types either damage normally or are resisted.

Years
  • Seen Mar 13, 2023
Dragon easily wins my heart in less than a heartbeat! Dragon only has 2 weak points: Steel resists it and Ice beats it ;;

Ferrothorn plays a stupid important role to counter dragons, which I totally hate and Ice Shard that's used by most Ice types can do pretty hard damage to dragons, especially those Dragon/Flying or Dragon/Ground types...

but with the right defenses, attack stats and moveset, Dragon types can easily beat their weaknesses and other types.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
Years
I mostly consider Dragons to be an overpowering type. With only two weakness, one being itself, and resistance to the elemental types(fire, grass, water, electric) it is one thing people cannot counter and fear unless planned ahead. i personally am afraid of having to face against a Dragon type. most dragon types tend to be faster than most ice types and have a wide array of moves that include: flamethrower, rock slide, earthquake. Even if i have a dragon type of my own, I feel as if I cannot deal enough damage to knock them out in one hit. Most pseudo-legends and speculated pseudo-legends are, after all, dragon types.

Back