• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[HOW-TO] Titlescreen Backgrounds

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    [HOW-TO] Titlescreen Backgrounds
    What can you do with this new knowledge?
    Insert BG's like this! So much Lugia! Oh yeah! Dont Steal!
    TITLE-8.png
    ZOMGTitle.png

Wow-2.png
    title-5.png
    The Tools
    What do I need!!!
    First of all you will be needing 4 free (yeah, everyone loves free stuff) tools.
    • Gimp
    • IRFranView
    • UnLZ
    • APE
    The Process
    How do I doz it?!?
    TIP from Liquid Shadow: Sphere and movie on NTME

First of all do you have an image for your bg? If not pick one out... Here is my sample.
    BG-4.png

And yes the top left will need to be your transparent color. Make sure it is divisible by 8 on the width and height and it will be good.
    Now you will need to index the image, open up IRFranview. Now you need to open up your image.
    *Pulls up random pic of IRFranview...*
    irfanview.jpg

Now go to Image>Decrease Color Depth... Make sure to UNCHECK Floyd Dithering, now click on 16 bit and press ok.
    Next you will save the file.
    Now you will need to open up your copy of NTME and choose the preset size as 'FR/LG TS'. Map out your tilemap as desired and save it. Make sure the whole palletemap is set to 'E'
    Open up your copy of Gimp and open the newly indexed file. Go to Window>Colormap, you will want to rearrange it in case the transparent color is anywhere but the first spot.
    Open up APE and go to the offset '71E55C'. With Gimp still open and the colormap there you will copy the pallet color by color to match in APE as it is in GIMP. Once finished you must press 'Replace' for the changes to work.
    Now you must open up UnLZ and the numbers may vary depending if you ran a deep scan or where you got your rom.
    • BG Image #: 2011
    • BG Tilemap #:2012
    Now you will want to import the new image and tilemap and repoint accordingly.
    End Result
    This one is horrible I know >.>
    I added some random stuff quickly, I know its bad!
    Title-6.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    nice tut Panda, probably the best part is that it shortens the steps.

Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2010
    hey, how do u rename the Fire Red to something else, like Sea of Dreams like yours?

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Hmm, good tutorial but you didn't say how many tiles can be in the tileset and you didn't tell us to remove multiple tiles from the tileset so we save space. :3

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    Hmm, good tutorial but you didn't say how many tiles can be in the tileset and you didn't tell us to remove multiple tiles from the tileset so we save space. :3
    Well... it should mandatory? i dont know I never thought people would not do that xD

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Well... it should mandatory? i dont know I never thought people would not do that xD

Well, half the people insert the tileset as it looked in the tilemap, which wastes sapce and sometimes causes those liitle tile errors on titlescreens and such.

ninjakid230

ninja of the night....
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2011
    Now you will need to open up your copy of NTME and choose the preset size as 'FR/LG TS'.
    sorry if this is really noobish but what is NTME? and where can i download APE?

Edit: Never mind solved my problem. thanks alot Jerks jk :P

a few more questions :)

do i use the HTML notation on the color map and put that into APE? because it has too many letters/numbers and wont fit.

is this for ruby/sapphire as well, or do i need to find a different offset?

oops where are my manners? sorry this is a very great tut I had no trouble understanding it perfect job

Last edited:

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    sorry if this is really noobish but what is NTME? and where can i download APE?

Edit: Never mind solved my problem. thanks alot Jerks jk :P

a few more questions :)

do i use the HTML notation on the color map and put that into APE? because it has too many letters/numbers and wont fit.

is this for ruby/sapphire as well, or do i need to find a different offset?

oops where are my manners? sorry this is a very great tut I had no trouble understanding it perfect job

RSE are very different, there are many tutorials on inserting title BG's for them. I would look on WaH!

Also in APE just match the RGB with the color in gimp ;), make sure the pallet is in the same format as the colormap in gimp though

Awesome tutorial Teh Panda,
    its short and pretty straightforward :], but most of all useful

Thank you very much!

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    xD,
    W = Whack
    A = A
    H = Hack

Whack a Hack!
    The spanish hacking site which is almost primarily ruby hackers

ninjakid230

ninja of the night....
    Years
    • Seen Feb 2, 2011
    ahh thank you I've been there before but i couldn't understand it

wait i just realized i wont be able to read it!

Last edited:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
  • Hmm, it would be nice if you could make this into a full ttitlescreen hacking tutorial, because this is explained very well. :3 Also, instead of using the present size in NTME, you could raw dump in original tilemap in unLZ and edit that one. It would avoid tilemap size problems, and it could be used for any kind of tilemap hacking. :P

Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2017
    Hey,

Everything was going smooth, but im trying to find the numbers/letters to copy from GIMP to APE.

Not having much luck. You said it should be the RGB but im not sure where to find that. Knowing myself, ill probably figure it out now that i asked, but if you get a chance could you explain where to find it?

-mike

rokrdude

POKEMON : SINNOH QUEST CREATOR
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Can anyone tell me what im doing wrong?

Steps i followed for editing Ruby Titlescreen

1)opened unlz went to 80(goto) groudon picture imported indexed file of pokemon and write to rom

2)Selected nexti n unlz, rawdump opened tilset(indexed pokemon image) with NTME , open tilemap did copying and pasting to tilemap of image save tilemap

3)opened saved raw with unlz write to rom

I think Im not doing first step correctly!!

Someone pls help me!!

Back