• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best places on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! Community members will not see the bottom screen advertisements.

Which Pokemon did you consider "useless" for journeys?

Miss Anne Thrope

Disgusted
Years
Liepard. I wanted to like it, but in the playthrough of Pokemon Black, I just couldn't take it being defeated by two hits.
With the right training, moves and nature it would be a good Pokemon. But not for playing a game, where it was the first Pokemon I had set for my permanent team (ditched my starter) it wasn't good.

Years
  • Seen Jul 30, 2013
I've never trained a spinarak, or a ledyba. I'm sure they could be good in the right hands, but their not my thing.

Years
I generally keep people on my team, I once got an Azurill just cause I LOVE its design and wanted to use it as my water type, but it didn't work out haha :)

On the other hand, what I thought was going to be weak but I was determined to try anyways (Minun) ended up helping me defeat the Elite Four lol :D

Years
  • Seen Jan 26, 2013
well i won't count the obviously useless ones like unown and stuff because i don't think most ppl actually expect them to be usable.
but the two i always wanted to use and ended up dragging my team every single time were hoothoot and spinarak.
i really like those pokemon (especially spinarak) but it's like you either give them competitive movesets PLUS good natures PLUS ev training which = unreasonable for in-game purposes or they will absolutely ALWAYS feel underwhelming by mid-game standards.
and this is coming from someone who likes challenges and actually managed to hax the E4 and champion (lance, which means 3 haxonites) to death with an underlevelled dunsparce, so... yeah, those two guys are that bad.

lineofdeath

...overuser of the ellipsis...
Years
I rater dislike therian landorus, I am using one in white 2 and it is totally worthless
I can't wait for earthquake.

Sweets Witch

I just love ham jerky.
Years
Gligar in GSC. It's introduced really, REALLY late and it's just not worth it at that point. I wouldn't even want to use one closer to the beginning of the game because its only attacking move is Poison Sting until level 20.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Mar 11, 2023
I think Eevee takes the cake for me. I make it a point to evolve mine as soon as possible, and if I can't evolve it in the foreseeable future it sits in my PC until I can. It's just utterly incapable of dealing damage, and the longer it stays unevolved the more decent STAB moves it misses out on. I learned the hard way, trying to keep an Eevee on an even level with the rest of my team until I could evolve it into a Glaceon in Platinum. By the time I reached the Ice Rock it was Level 40-something, lacked any Ice-Type attacks, and was ultimately pretty pathetic. (Though I will admit unevolved Eevees have helped me beat Morty and Fantina on multiple occasions!)

I've actually managed to use things like Delibird and early-game Normal-Types in game effectively, though, along with defensive Pokemon that specialize in stalling like Bronzong and Cotton Guard + Leech Seed Whimsicott.

Years
  • Seen Dec 21, 2015
Farfetch'd, Sunkern, and Magikarp. (Also Smeargle.)
In all seriousness most if not all bug types are worthless for my journey.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 16, 2013
For me, the only useless pokemon are those that aren't cute. I love my cute pokemon.

But oh...azurill...In Black 2, I caught you, because you were so cute, but you fainted so many times...

Years
  • Seen Mar 7, 2016
Pokémon that does not evolve two times or(exception to Growlith), or that does not evolve at all.

lineofdeath

...overuser of the ellipsis...
Years
Pokémon that does not evolve two times or(exception to Growlith), or that does not evolve at all.

Scizor, ninetails, volcarona and all the ledgendarys are mad at you.

But seriously, ariados dissapointed me for such a badass look.

atomtanned

Delinquent
Years
  • Seen Oct 17, 2022
I agree with those here who have said that they don't really find any Pokemon totally useless. There are definitely some that I wouldn't use in battles with friends, maybe, but with the right strategy almost any Pokemon can be dangerous!

I also don't stick with a set team -- I flip Pokemon in and out to suit me, which means I progress veeeerrrrryyyy slowly through games because I usually train up most of my Pokemon evenly. A bit obsessive, but it's always fun to do an E4 run with totally random, unexpected Pokemon. I get bored using the standard powerhouses all the time, especially on second or third play through.

I dislike Bug/Grass types more than any other, though -- idk if I'm just not good at strategizing with them or what, but they always are more difficult for me to use than other types.

Years
  • Seen Feb 16, 2013
My zebstrika was my main second in white lol it died easily I guess but I used him up until I got axew. He was good for the fire and electric. I planned on using galvantula as my electric but my brother had one so I wanted to be different. But after Bryce or whatever his name is I did box it lol. As for useless Pokemon... There are a lot. But something I would call useless if I absolutely had to is... Burmy. I hate this guy and the fact I would have to train and evolve two separate ones in order to complete my pokedex makes me hate it more.

roosterman

Freaking annoying!
Years
lets see
ditto, unknown, bidoof, slaking, wynaut and wobbuffet are sadly useless for anything other then competitive play. pretty much anything that is incapable of being a sweeper at all is kind of useless in game just cause they run out of HP after 3 or so battles.

27thColt

The Collector
Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2023
To be honest,I used a Jolteon and a Fearow in SoulSilver.I loved those pokemon,byt they were hard to train.Especially when my team is underleveled.

Years
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
The lady bug pokemon i just hate. I used them once in XD on game cube and quickly realized they were trash.

LHT

I do pokemon sprites sometimes
Years
Spinda, Slakoth, Dunsparce, Spinarak, and usually the 'squirrel lines' of each generation, like Bidoof, Zigzagoon and stuff.

Back