• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen IV: First Trick Room

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
So...yeah. Gen IV's ending, and this is my first Trick Room team. I initially set out to build a team around Dusknoir...then looked into it more and found that I didn't have room. So, anyway, here's my team:

Spr_4d_354_s.png

Banette @ Focus Sash
Brave
Insomnia
252 Atk
IV: 0 Hp / 31 Atk / 0 Def / 0 SpA / 0 SpD / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Destiny Bond
- Taunt
- Shadow Claw

So...this is my lead. Aims to set up Trick Room and take down my opponent. Usual move order is Taunt, Trick Room, Destiny Bond. Against Trick users I use Shadow Claw, as Banette is pretty destructive with that Attack stat, although short-lived.

Spr_4p_464_f_s.png

Rhyperior @ Life Orb
Brave
Solid Rock
248 Hp / 252 Atk / 8 Def
IV: 0 Spe
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Megahorn
- Swords Dance

My main physical sweeper, it usually gets chance to set up Swords Dance, but even if it doesn't, behind Trick Room it's pretty deadly. Megahorn and Stone Edge have failed me by missing quite often, but that's just the hax gods hating on me :/

Spr_4h_199_s.png

Slowking @ Life Orb
Quiet
Own Tempo
252 Hp / 4 Def / 252 SpA
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Pyschic
- Surf

Slowking is my main form of special offence, capable of setting up Trick Room on its' own, and capable of dispatching many threats with its' dual STAB attacks. Tbh, I'm so bad at this I rarely take advantage of Nasty Plot, but when I do, the results are incredible.

Spr_4p_437.png

Bronzong @ Leftovers
Relaxed
Levitate
252 Hp / 152 Atk / 8 Def / 96 SpD
- Trick Room
- Gyro Ball
- Explosion
- Reflect

Bronzong is my third and final Trick Room user. I normally set up Reflect first, to protect Slowking and Dragonite's lower defence stats, and also further boost Rhyperior's resistance with Solid Rock. Trick Room makes Bronzong the fastest thing out there, and with no Fire-type priority moves...it's pretty good. Gyro Ball is often used to dispatch of troublesome Aerodactyl leads, and Explosion is handy to take care of things I can't handle, such as boosters like Suicune, and put things in range of Dragonite's Extremespeed.

Spr_4p_462.png

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Mild
Magnet Pull
172 Hp / 40 Atk / 253 SpA / 44 SpD
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Grass
- Explosion

Yeah, Specs Steel-killer. 0 Spe to heighten its usefulness under Trick Room.

Spr_4h_149.png

Dragonite @ Life Orb
Mild
56 Hp / 200 Atk / 252 SpA
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Extremespeed

Dragonite is my wall-breaker and often bails me out when faced with opponents such as Celebi and Heatran who pose a serious threat to the rest of my team.

So...that's my team. I'm considering reverting Dragonite and Magnezone to standard, with full IVs, but I kinda like how hard Dragonite hits.

Advice?

Brane

-
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen May 10, 2016
Why not go with a Choice Band Metagross instead of Rhyperior? Rhyperiors major weakness is that it's Sp. Def is atrocious. Where as Metagross is a tad more balanced.

You could also consider Gyarados because that can also deal some heavy damage, while also maintaining some decent Sp. Def for switching into. Along with Dragon Dance and Intimidate, it can help to stop any slow wall attackers like Snorlax, Wobbufett, Wailord and sometimes Chansey and Blissey.

But solid enough.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Metagross would be good...but that leaves me with 3 Fire weaknesses, two resists and a pokémon that, if it survives beyond its' initial outing, will be OHKOd by anything it isn't immune to.

What would I swap Gyarados for? Dragonite can't really afford to go...it's the most successful pokémon out of all of them overall - the others work in Trick Room, but other than speed hindering it, Dragonite wrecks people who get cocky.

EDIT: Dragon Dance kinda fails in Trick Room - the attack boost is nice, but the speed isn't.

Back