• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My Pokemon Battle System progress thread.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 29, 2007
OK I have just started this a little bit ago. So far it's only coded for certain things so shouldn't be copied yet but once it's done, copy away. You can download the very beta demo here. It's early in the works but it's coming along. It's for rm2k3 by the way (not rm2k it has sucky key input processness). Once my website is fully XHTMLed, CSSed and PHPed up it will have info on it in one of its sections. Just check it out a bit. Krazys will probably end up being better but just try it out if you really wish. My brother has the TV on really loud at the moment though so I'm going to cut my post short here. I can't concentrate.

EDIT: Make sure you have the rm2k3 rtp and runtime package installed. I haven't included it in the project. therefore it's only like 780KB. At least that's a bonus.

Last edited:

funnybunny

Advanced RM2k(3) Coder
Years
Sceptile_Master said:
OK I have just started this a little bit ago. So far it's only coded for certain things so shouldn't be copied yet but once it's done, copy away. You can download the very beta demo here. It's early in the works but it's coming along. It's for rm2k3 by the way (not rm2k it has sucky key input processness). Once my website is fully XHTMLed, CSSed and PHPed up it will have info on it in one of its sections. Just check it out a bit. Krazys will probably end up being better but just try it out if you really wish. My brother has the TV on really loud at the moment though so I'm going to cut my post short here. I can't concentrate.
sounds intersting :) don't hold back because somebody is doing the same thing. The best thing is to learn from it and be able to create batter games.

Ehhh about that sucky key input processness, it is the same but just with more keys... oh well

Good luck

funnybunny

Advanced RM2k(3) Coder
Years
Sceptile_Master said:
Yeah but I need a key for select and start too.
...I never used those in my CBS :\ . don't know what they should do(besides help, but that is an option I find stupid, handy but stupid)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 29, 2007
No but they are used for a pokemon system altogether. This isn't just a pokemon battle system I suppose it's more of a whole pokemon system.

funnybunny

Advanced RM2k(3) Coder
Years
Sceptile_Master said:
No but they are used for a pokemon system altogether. This isn't just a pokemon battle system I suppose it's more of a whole pokemon system.
I made a CBS, CMS, storing system and some more pokemon systems, but I never I had to use more then the butons in RM2k...I made it with RM2k btw.(see pokemon champion)

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 29, 2007
I just checked it out. Extremely impressive. The only problem I see that you have got is the lack of proper speed, experience and damage formulae. Very good though. I suppose an rm2k battle system doesn't need to be exactly like the original anyways.

funnybunny

Advanced RM2k(3) Coder
Years
Sceptile_Master said:
I just checked it out. Extremely impressive. The only problem I see that you have got is the lack of proper speed, experience and damage formulae. Very good though. I suppose an rm2k battle system doesn't need to be exactly like the original anyways.
thank you, I know about lack of proper speed, experience and damage. but the demo is kinda old so I fixed the HP and experiance.

Hehe this is getting off topic :P. oh well I hope you can complete this. Will save some time for a lot of people.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 29, 2007
My presentation isnt as good as yours is though. I've got the real damage formulaes and speed formulaes in there though. But meh. Anyhoo if some people like the look of how it's coming along then mabye people can help. I mean whatever gets the system done quicker, right?

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2007
If I may interject, perhaps you two could combine your efforts and make an even
better battle system, since Sceptile Master has the real damage and speed formulas, while funnybunny has the inital battle system set-up.

By the way, what would you be using Select for anyway? Esc takes the place of Start (Since it calls the menu by default)... usually Select would be for a "Help" Sub menu that appears in-game, but I suppose you could work-around that by having a help menu on the PKMN Menu Screen, sort of like this:

PKMN Dex
PKMN
Items
PLAYER
Options
Help
Exit

Well in any case good luck.

funnybunny

Advanced RM2k(3) Coder
Years
Shinra said:
If I may interject, perhaps you two could combine your efforts and make an even
better battle system, since Sceptile Master has the real damage and speed formulas, while funnybunny has the inital battle system set-up.
Well I am almost done with all the basic stuff, so I don't want to team up now with somebody. I would like those real damage and speed formulas, that would be cool. Now I am doing it all with just testing it out :P

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 29, 2007
Right I'll pop by with those damage formulaes and such in a while when I have more time. And select is used for items you have set to that button. Just out of curiosity funnybunny whats the current situation about a pokemons stats in your battle system like?

funnybunny

Advanced RM2k(3) Coder
Years
Sceptile_Master said:
Right I'll pop by with those damage formulaes and such in a while when I have more time. And select is used for items you have set to that button. Just out of curiosity funnybunny whats the current situation about a pokemons stats in your battle system like?
I don't use stats :P I calculate everything from the lv. Saves some varibales and time.

Attack is like this: (((lv*rand(2-3))/10)+rand(3-5))+extra
the extra is when growl or something is used.
still have no speed jet :/ . still have to add that.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 29, 2007
Yeah it does use like an extra 12 variables per pokemon the layer has for proper stats. The only problem I see with the formulae is every pokemon is the same even when they evolve. Mabye adding a little something might help.

funnybunny

Advanced RM2k(3) Coder
Years
Sceptile_Master said:
Yeah it does use like an extra 12 variables per pokemon the layer has for proper stats. The only problem I see with the formulae is every pokemon is the same even when they evolve. Mabye adding a little something might help.
Yeah I know but I add something when you use a stronger attack. So pokemon that evolve have stronger attack :P

funnybunny

Advanced RM2k(3) Coder
Years
Sceptile_Master said:
Types would be easy enough to put in too.
what? you mean like water is stong against fire etc...

Yeah that I am gonna put in there, still have to do that too XD. Was thinking to just make a big list off all pokemon to reconize what type they are(same for enn) and then look if the attack needs some more or less :P.

Pretty easy but hell of a lot of work.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Mar 29, 2007
For types my battle system does this. Each type has a reference number 1-17 I think they are. I noted down on pieces of paper what number each type is and then each pokemon has 2 variables assigned to it. One for type one and one for type two. If type 2 is 0 then it's no type. Then in the damage formulae I have the usual conditional branch checking what the variables are and stuff.

Back