• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Gen V RMT - Overdark Dragon

Years
  • Overdark Dragon!

Team Overview

1481592-vsgiovanni.png

635.png
    94.png
    248.png
    149.png
    212.png
    462.png

Welcome to the next evolution of Overdark Dragon. With the recent passing of the Community Night and the revival of the PC clans, I have decided to share with you my new team. It is based on the 'Mag n' Drag' concept but since I have taken a liking to Dark Azelf's "volturning" team, I have taken that aspect and incorporated it into my team too. For those who do not know, the idea is that since only the steel type resists Dragon type attacks, Magnezone can electrocute those steel types, clearing the path for my dragons to unleash their terrifying onslaught without being walled and with the use of U-Turn and Volt Switch, pressure is maintained on the opposition.

Team Construction

I first started off with Magnezone, as he is guaranteed to be in this team.

462.png

Now I require around 2-3 dragons to take advantage of the vulnerability that Magnezone exposes by removing the enemy steel types. Hydreigon is an obvious choice for me. He's my favourite Pokemon and he is also incredibly good in my opinion.

462.png
    635.png

That's two Fighting weaknesses on the team already. I want at least one more Dragon on the team, so I require a Dragon which resists fighting attacks. Since I already have Hydreigon on the team, I chose to include Dragonite over Lati@s.

462.png
    635.png
    149.png

I am content with two Dragons. If I feel like adding a third, I will do so later. I need another steel type on the team to take enemy Dragon type attacks. Ordinarily I would have opted for Bronzong or Skarmory but a while back user Forever sold the idea of Scizor to me. I can't remember what she said (it was a sentence or two) but when she said it I just thought to myself holy crap, this woman is right. Why haven't I been using this guy before? So Scizor makes the cut.

462.png
    635.png
    149.png
    212.png

Two spaces remain. Weather is such a prevalent aspect in overused battling that I feel somewhat disadvantaged if I have no way to control the weather. Purely for this reason totally got nothing to do with it being a Dark type >_> Tyranitar marches in strong.

462.png
    635.png
    149.png
    212.png
    248.png

Well that's three Fighting weaknesses on the team. This is one of the main problems I have always had with my team. A gaping weakness to Fighting type attacks. I am going to add a ghost type to give me a second option to switch in against Fighting moves. I would usually go with Jellicent here but I really want this team to be aggressive. It's the same sort of concept when I swapped Bronzong out for Scizor. I want to take a hyper offensive route with this team now. Currently this team lacks a fast Pokemon too. I have two priority users in Scizor and Dragonite which is good, but having a speedy Pokemon on the team would be much appreciated. Gengar fits my needs and so he's in.

462.png
    635.png
    149.png
    212.png
    248.png
    94.png

Team Analysis

1481587-giovannihgss.gif

635.png

DRAKOW (Hydreigon) (M) @ Choice Specs
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Fire Blast
    - Focus Blast
    - U-turn / Dark Pulse

Rocking his signature shades, he strikes with awe-inspiring, destructive power! Draco Meteor obliterates pretty much anything that does not resist it, barring a few very dedicated special walls. Fire and Focus Blast provide perfect coverage for him, eliminating any steel type that dares show its face against the Overlord. Finally, U-Turn is a great scout move, especially on a tyrant whose mere presence sends a heart stabbing fear into all of his enemies, causing them to flee in terror. I used to dislike U-Turn and opted for Dark Pulse instead but all Dark Pulse does is give added coverage against Ghost and Psychic types and flinch haxing, which has admittedly saved my ass on a fair few occasions. It's largely unnecessary as a neutral Fire Blast does the same damage as a neutral Dark Pulse anyway. Pokemon like Jellicent and Reuniclus shouldn't really be sticking around when Hydreigon is dominating the battlefield anyway. Opponents often switch in their steel type when they see Hydreigon, so U-Turning straight into Magnezone is one of my favourite tactics.

94.png

RENPUU (Gengar) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Shadow Ball
    - Focus Blast
    - Disable
    - Substitute

Standard Sub Disable Gengar set. Shadow Ball and Focus Blast gives near perfect neutral coverage. Substitute and Disable allow Renpuu to combat and troll so many Pokemon it's not even funny. Things like Conkeldurr and Gliscor and many more become completely useless against Gengar, once it has disabled their key attacking move. Like Hydreigon, Gengar is an intimidating presence which often makes opponents switch to a suitable counter, which gives a threshold of opportunities to throw up a substitute. For this reason, as much as I would like to use Life Orb on the ghost, Leftovers is a must. Especially with Sandstorm and repeated Substitute uses, Gengar's HP gets drained far too quickly for my liking, even with Leftovers.

248.png

YOSHIKO (Tyranitar) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
    - Crunch
    - Stone Edge
    - Superpower
    - Stealth Rock

This is the fully dedicated specially defensive Tyranitar set. As far as Sandstorm is concerned, it isn't really that beneficial to this team. Gengar suffers the most from a raging sandstorm and it doesn't do much favours to Hydreigon or Dragonite either. Sandstorm for me is simply a means to control the weather - screwing over opposing weather teams. Crunch is my STAB move of choice as I have no Dark moves on this team otherwise. Stealth Rock is pretty mandatory on here as well as I cannot put it anywhere else on the team. Took out Ice Beam and Fire Blast for Stone Edge and Superpower and I am pleased with the results. Stone Edge gives me coverage against the blasted Volcarona which I realized I needed after Yoshikkko wrecked me with it. Superpower is mainly for Heatran actually. Heatran annoys me as with Airballoon it resists the Dragon / Ground and Dragon / Fire combinations. I do not really have any issues with the EVs but at the same time, I question whether I could be investing them more effectively for this team. Since I want this to be a hyper offensive team, maybe Tyranitar should be geared as such too. But then I wonder to what extent I should divert his bulk into offensive prowess, especially since I want to keep Stealth Rock on him. If nothing else, help me update this Tyranitar.

149.png

FAGONITE (Dragonite) (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Multiscale
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Tail
    - Substitute
    - Thunder Wave
    - Roost

I love this set so much. It is so incredibly trolltastic that I had to try it out again and I have really been enjoying it. Thunder Wave is incredibly useful to this team as it allows my Hydreigon to crush most Pokemon. Even Tyranitar can out speed a whole load of Pokemon once they are paralyzed, making it an even more terrifying threat. Damage from Sandstorm and Stealth Rock will rack up against the opposition when abusing Dragon Tail too.

462.png

MAGNETO (Magnezone) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 168 HP / 252 SAtk / 88 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Thunderbolt / Charge Beam / Magnet Rise (for Dark Azelf)
    - Volt Switch / Charge Beam / Magnet Rise (for Dark Azelf)
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Substitute

I used to run Charge beam to combat Jirachi better as I would say that Jirachi is the most frequent steel type I was running into back then and I wanted to gear my Magnezone specifically to take it on as effectively as possible. Getting a +6 boost against a Ferrothorn with a Substitute up was also devastating for my opponents. Depending on the Steel type that gets trapped, the opportunity to set up a Substitute may be available to me, and this makes revenge killing Magnezone even tougher for the opponent. If I can get a few Charge Beam boosts, Magnezone has the potential to eliminate two of my opponent's Pokemon which is fantastic. It was actually a battle log that Vrai created which made me consider using Volt Switch on it. Magnezone is the most resistive Pokemon out there and because of this fact, there are ample opportunities to send him in against non steel type Pokemon and threaten them with a lethal bolt of lightning. Volt Switch has been useful in maintaining momentum and while I do feel this version of Magnezone is weaker in combating steel type Pokemon, I think the sacrifice is worthwhile as with Volt Switch, his general utility has increased. Of all the Pokemon in this team, Magnezone is the one whose moveset I will most frequently switch up depending on my perceptions on the metagame and such. I am currently debating whether Thunderbolt is needed alongside Volt Switch. Hidden Power Fire does tremendous damage against Ferrothorn and massacres Scizor and is therefore pretty staple on Magnezone.

212.png

VRAI (Scizor) (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Technician
    EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Bullet Punch
    - U-turn
    - Superpower
    - Pursuit

Trying out a Choice Band Scizor and it has done well so far. I wanted Pursuit on this team to eliminate Lati@s and I originally had it on Tyranitar but wanted Superpower on Tyranitar instead, so it goes on Scizor.

Threat List

051.png
    Dugtrio- I have three levitators / flying types on this team, all of which Dugtrio cannot trap. A Bullet Punch from Scizor should also do significant damage to Dugtrio. I'm sure I can work something out against the triple mole.
    065.png
    Alakazam- Dragonite and Scizor with priority pretty much. If the Alakazam is modest, Gengar can OHKO with Shadow Ball too.
    423.png
    Gastrodon- Draco Meteor from Hydreigon does tremendous damage. Outraging Dragonite should do a lot of damage too. Gengar can probably troll it by disabling Scald.
    251.png
    Celebi- Gengar is the man for the job here. Hydreigon can handle Celebi too I believe.
    462.png
    Magnezone- MY OWN MAGNEZONE! Gengar / Hydreigon / Dragonite / Tyranitar can take it on decently.
    195.png
    Quagsire- Powerful Dragon attacks / Gengar can perhaps troll it.
    232.png
    Donphan- Hydreigon and Gengar both have levitate and as Azelf said, Ice Shard is pathetically weak so it's not too much of a concern.
    135.png
    Jolteon- Hydreigon, Magnezone or Tyranitar probably.
    080.png
    Slowbro- Magnezone electrocutes no problem. Can probably wear it down with U-Turn as well with Scizor. Gengar should do good damage to it with Shadow Ball too.
    145.png
    Zapdos- I'm not too sure on this one. I think Draco Meteor does a lot of damage to it though. Gengar isn't strong enough though. Magnezone is too weak as well. I actually do believe Hydreigon is my only viable out to this guy. Something for me to look out for.
    460.png
    Abomasnow- Pretty much anyone on the team should be able to take it on I would think.
    381.png
    Latios- Gengar is a risky play here. Tyranitar is the safe option. Otherwise priority moves should wear it down for a KO.
    534.png
    Conkeldurr- Hydreigon OHKOs with Draco Meteor. Gengar trolls it. Dragonite isn't too bad either.
    635.png
    Hydreigon- Uhm. Nothing beats Hydreigon. Everyone knows that! Focus Blast Gengar should do a fair amount of damage to it. If it is choiced, then sub disable trolls it. Hydreigon is a tricky one for me to handle - without knowing it's specifications I will have to tread with care.
    637.png
    Volcarona- STEALTH ROCK, LET'S GO! Dragonite is probably my main man here. If it sets up, I am pretty much screwed though.
    639.png
    Terrakion- Scizor. Gengar can troll it too perhaps.
    645.png
    Landorus- I think Gengar is my only potential out to this guy lol. Definitely something to be weary about.
    612.png
    Haxorus- I think Scizor should have a decent time taking it on. If it's weakened, ExtremeSpeed can possibly finish it off. Hydreigon possibly, though it's somewhat risky.
    640.png
    Virizion- Gengar and Dragonite pretty much. Scizor too perhaps.
    560.png
    Scrafty- Scizor perhaps but I think that's stretching it. I don't think I have any try Scrafty counters. Duly noted.
    579.png
    Reuniclus- I think most of my team should be able to take it on fairly well.
    494.png
    Victini- Hydreigon resists the dual stab so he's my main man for the job here.
    620.png
    Mienshao- Gengar probably. Dragonite and Scizor are good options too.
    641.png
    Tornadus- Bullet Punch and ExtremeSpeed should help. Gengar can outspeed and do decent damage with Shadow Ball too. Tyranitar is an OK choice as well. Magnezone too.
    380.png
    Latias- Read latios.
    373.png
    Salamence- If this thing gets a Dragon Dance up, I am in trouble. Probably have to force it to Outrage then send in Scizor to finish the job.
    091.png
    Cloyster- Priority moves. Magnezone perhaps.
    186.png
    Politoed- Magnezone and Dragons take this on well.
    003.png
    Venusaur- Dragons.
    038.png
    Ninetails- Tyranitar and Dragons.
    454.png
    Toxicroak- Gengar, though I have been proven wrong on one occasion. Dragonite is a decent alternative.
    286.png
    Breloom- Hydreigon outspeeds and OHKOs. Gengar can troll it.
    132.png
    Ditto- Make it transform into something I can readily counter or something like that.
    212.png
    Scizor- Magnezone. It's his job. Hydreigon can take it on too though and so can Dragonite.
    272.png
    Ludicolo- I hate this thing seriously with his multitude of priority moves. Gengar and Dragonite are my best bets.
    376.png
    Metagross- Hydreigon is my best bet. Possibly Magnezone if it is choiced.
    392.png
    Infernape- Dragonite mainly.
    485.png
    Heatran- Hydreigon and Gengar mainly.
    149.png
    Dragonite- Hydreigon OHKOs through multi scale with Draco Meteor. Without knowing Dragonite's moveset though, he can be tricky to counter.
    385.png
    Jirachi- Potentially Magnezone. Hydreigon can do a lot of damage to Jirachi.
    479-wash.png
    Rotom-W- Hydreigon mainly. It's another tricky Pokemon for me to handle.
    130.png
    Gyarados- Dragons and Magnezone probably are the best here.
    248.png
    Tyranitar- Focus Blast and Scizor.
    472.png
    Gliscor- Hydreigon and Gengar.
    242.png
    Blissey- Scizor and Dragonite.
    437.png
    Bronzong- Dragons probably.
    113.png
    Chansey- See Blissey.
    386-speed.png
    Deoxys-s- Priority moves.
    196.png
    Espeon- Scizor, Hydreigon and Gengar.
    598.png
    Ferrothorn- Magnezone and Dragons.
    205.png
    Forretress- Magnzone and Dragons.
    368.png
    Gorebyss- Magnezone and Dragons (you can tell I'm getting tired of this now).
    450.png
    Hippowdon- Hydreigon and perhaps Gengar.
    593.png
    Jellicent- Hydreigon, Gengar, Tyranitar and Magnezone.
    151.png
    Mew- Gengar and Tyranitar.
    233.png
    Porygon2- Hydreigon and Gengar mainly. Possibly Dragonite though.
    227.png
    Skarmory- Magnezone and Hydreigon.
    073.png
    Tentacruel- Magnezone and Dragons.
    134.png
    Vaporeon- Magnezone and Hydreigon.
    547.png
    Whimsicott- Lol.
    302.png
    Sableye- Lol.

Team Evaluation

For the most part, this team has been doing pretty well for me. I don't think there's a whole lot that needs changing but if you have any suggestions, feel free to let me know.

Last edited:

Saturated Hue

acrobatic effing pirouette.
    Years
  • I really don't get why Tyranitar is on the team. Sandstorm really hurts Gengar and disables the Multiscale on Dragonite, and it really hurts the team a lot more than it benefits it. I would seriously consider something else here, like maybe CM Virizion that puts a full stop to rain teams and leaves your Dragonite with its Multiscale intact, and therefore making it fully capable of revenging sun sweepers.

I can also see a well-played Latios becoming a really huge problem, particularly those equipped with HP Fire. I'm fairly sure a Specs'd Draco Meteor hits through Multiscale DNite, though I don't have any calcs to prove it.

Years
  • I really don't get why Tyranitar is on the team. Sandstorm really hurts Gengar and disables the Multiscale on Dragonite, and it really hurts the team a lot more than it benefits it. I would seriously consider something else here, like maybe CM Virizion that puts a full stop to rain teams and leaves your Dragonite with its Multiscale intact, and therefore making it fully capable of revenging sun sweepers.

I can also see a well-played Latios becoming a really huge problem, particularly those equipped with HP Fire. I'm fairly sure a Specs'd Draco Meteor hits through Multiscale DNite, though I don't have any calcs to prove it.

1) Yeah I know. Tyranitar is not a team player here. But you know, my good buddy Vrai made a pretty successful hailstorm dragon team and I'm pretty sure Abomanasnow is even less of a team player than T-tar. So I think I'll continue to take my chances with the tyrant.

2) A spec'd meteor does indeed OHKO Dragonite even with Multi Scale. I usually handle Latios with Scizor and Gengar actually. It hasn't caused too much trouble to my team so far but if it does, I will consider giving Tyranitar pursuit.

Back