• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sigylph: The biggest anti-meta card

cartercr

Sour Kangaroo's best friend!
Years
After taking break from the TCG (and Pokecommunity itself) I've come back to try to get into the game. I've been reading up on some of the decks for the BW-on meta and I've been drawn to what I believe is the greatest anti-meta card in the game.

52-sigilyph.jpg

Feast your eyes on it. Immdeiate reactions show that with 90 HP it's within range of a Level Ball. Great attack in Psychic will do 50 + 10 for each energy. The real kick to this card is the Safeguard Ability. With all the Pokemon-EX cards running around in the current meta, this acts as the shield most decks need to stop the disease. With the ability to single handedly stop threats such as Mewtwo-EX and Mew-EX as well as the primary attackers in most decks, and the new Blend Energy making it possible to run this card in any Grass, Fire, Psychic, or Dark deck, this card seems like it's going to be a major staple in the format. What do you guys think about it?

Pharetra

zzzz
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
After taking break from the TCG (and Pokecommunity itself) I've come back to try to get into the game. I've been reading up on some of the decks for the BW-on meta and I've been drawn to what I believe is the greatest anti-meta card in the game.

52-sigilyph.jpg

Feast your eyes on it. Immdeiate reactions show that with 90 HP it's within range of a Level Ball. Great attack in Psychic will do 50 + 10 for each energy. The real kick to this card is the Safeguard Ability. With all the Pokemon-EX cards running around in the current meta, this acts as the shield most decks need to stop the disease. With the ability to single handedly stop threats such as Mewtwo-EX and Mew-EX as well as the primary attackers in most decks, and the new Blend Energy making it possible to run this card in any Grass, Fire, Psychic, or Dark deck, this card seems like it's going to be a major staple in the format. What do you guys think about it?

I absolutely love it. Sigilyph is one of the things that show the format is much more healthy than the past two formats. Not only is Sigilyph good, I think it is/will be affordable as well. Not to mention the fact it counters Mewtwo EX very nicely. Sigilyph as a Pokémon deserves more love in my opinion and maybe this will help. It's definitely going to be teched in my deck.

cartercr

Years
I think the thing with him will be that most decks don't only run EX cards (though some do), so it may not be worth having as a 4 of, especially since you can level ball it. However, I think it's a solid 2 of for almost any deck that can put it in. The ability to stop EX cards cold is well worth the time.

Years
The problem with Sigilyph is that there's still Catcher in the new format, and they can use Catcher to get around it if they absolutely have to. That or they'll Catcher it up to be KO'd by a non-EX and then send their EX up.

Years
Donny V is right on this one, and I would personally only tech the one if I were to use him. Playing around 'X' Pokemon in general isn't too difficult to do to be honest.

On an unrelated note I am happy to see a few more competitively minded people visiting this forum.

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
Years
I play Eels, so I just use Raikou to work around it. And if I really need to I can use Shiny Rayquaza's Shred attack with Mew EX to ignore the Ability, or more effectively Shiny Rayquaza.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Sep 10, 2015
I feel like everyone has pretty much teched against sigilyph at this point. You'd have to go against a deck with only ex pokemon (i.e. bad deck) to really grind their deck to a halt.

Bela

Banned
Years
Yeah sigilyph is really a joke. The attack is inferior to Mewtwo EX's and any good deck will have something to kill this guy. I play the regular Zekrom in my eels, and that will be fine for getting rid of this guy.

cartercr

Years
I think you guys are really proving my point. It's very anti-meta. It's even changed the meta around it. You guys are even saying that you're using certain cards just so you can beat it. I never said it would completely stop decks, but it sure can help.

Tanaki

←Lazy ADHD Trainer
Years
I think you guys are really proving my point. It's very anti-meta. It's even changed the meta around it. You guys are even saying that you're using certain cards just so you can beat it. I never said it would completely stop decks, but it sure can help.
The card seems pretty bad. I only played 1 person that ran any at all at battle roads, and he had 2 in play, but I took out 2 EX's beforehand. And I think all but maybe 5 people out of 53 in masters were running Eels, most of which had Raikou and just pooped on Sigilyph by hitting around it.

cartercr

Years
The card seems pretty bad. I only played 1 person that ran any at all at battle roads, and he had 2 in play, but I took out 2 EX's beforehand. And I think all but maybe 5 people out of 53 in masters were running Eels, most of which had Raikou and just pooped on Sigilyph by hitting around it.

I run this in my Darkrai/Hydreigon deck and it works beautifully. It really helps set up on decks that run an immediate offensive from their EX's. (Not that my deck sets up slow as it is, it just helps)

Years
The thing is though, it's only good against HD decks as far as I am aware. Empoleon - Terrakion handles it fine and so do Eel varients and Fluffychomp.

Back