• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: The FR Script handling with behavior

Years
  • Seen Feb 22, 2023
Good evening, to start with, i'm a german speaker/romhacker and as a result my english might not be the best...
Anyways, i came here because i wanted to find out stuff about how the FR scripting engine can handle events triggerd by overworlds on the map. I did a bit of research the last days and found out, that it uses the behavior byte of a tile to find out if the scriptfield stored on top of it should be executed when(for example a rock) enters the tile on the map. This is done by a simple "cmp" check, what it checks is the behavior byte itself. If it's 0x20, the script will be sent to the main script handler.
The project im currently working on does, however, not use the Firered version as base, it uses Emerald. I was not able to figure out a behavior byte doing all the stuff i want to do in EM. I tired to research the stuff in Emerald, but it does not seem to be implemented, so i would like to kind of port all the stuff from FR to SM, the problem is obvious, lots of conflict between the script handler stuff and aswell the problem of inserting the routine, because SM handles the behavior bytes, or at least the ones i looked at, hardcoded, it checks if the byte is for example 0x3(which is some grass animation stuff) and then goes on, but it does not execute just a asm routine/script.

Has anybody some information about this topic? I see there are many many experienced romhackers arround, so I just thought it would be the right place to ask for some help.

Greetings from Austria
~SBird

Dragonflye

Author of Pokémon Sovereign of the Skies
Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Oct 9, 2023
He Hacking Emerald thats right but a german Rom.

Back