• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Looking for...

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2015
    I looking for a writer to help me in my writing... a duo author. If you interested, tell me!
    Please post a short story... 50 to 100 words.
    Requirements....

On a lot.
    Good writer.
    That it.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • If you're looking to do a collaboration, I sure hope you know what you're getting yourself into and how notoriously hard it is to sync up two different styles of writing, not to mention coming up with a consistent storyline which pleases both authors. Also, just on the more unpleasant side of this, doing a collab or being partners in whatever business requires both parties to be equally skilled at what they're doing, enough to compensate each other. It doesn't mean that you both have to be good at writing, it just means that both of you should be good at what you're doing; not one person doing most of the work. This, I say, just because you're practically asking for a good writer in the lounge when you haven't really shown off your own skills much to attract anyone to this proposition of yours. I mean, there's no pull to get people to want to collab with you.

This is just a bit of advice I thought I'd give.

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2015
    thanks, but I really like the Different writing styles, how they seem a clash of types of writings, which creates a brilliant combo. It's amazing to me.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • thanks, but I really like the Different writing styles, how they seem a clash of types of writings, which creates a brilliant combo. It's amazing to me.

The problem is that your readers might think differently.

Put it this way. Imagine you're rowing a boat, and the both of you have one oar each. To go anywhere, the both of you need to work together at roughly the same skill level, or the boat just won't go anywhere. For example, if your partner has stronger arms than you, they might paddle their side a little bit faster, which means the boat will go around in a circle. However, if they have weaker arms, you'll constantly have to stop because they'll need to rest.

The same can be said with collabs. If one of you doesn't know how to proofread, can't write strong characters, and won't input enough into developing the plot of the fic, your partner has two choices. The first is to let the fic fall flat on its face every time it's your turn to write something (because you end up failing to deliver the way your partner can). The second is that the other author will end up practically writing the story themselves to make up for your shortcomings. Either way, your readers will be able to tell right off the bat who's the better writer, and the parts written by the weaker one will seem jarring, anticlimactic, and all-around turn-offs, especially if the stronger writer seems brilliant by comparison.

That's of course ignoring the other issues. As in, in order to work well in a collab, you need to know how to communicate with your partner, and you need to get along well enough with them that you can plan each chapter together. Like I said, the two of you depend on each other to make the story work, so you'll need to work closely with the other author in all aspects of the fic. This is stating the obvious, but I mean if you don't know a person and how they work beyond how they write, you're more likely to butt heads with them than you are to finish a chapter.

So... yeah. A collab could be a brilliant combo, but there's a lot of ways it can go wrong, especially if you don't know how to communicate and you can't put in as much effort as the other person. Also, sorry to say, but not a lot of skilled writers will jump at the chance of working with one who won't proofread their work and can't form solid characters or plots on their own to save themselves.

Hence, a couple of suggestions:

1. My first one would be that you're doing this ass-backwards. If you want to collab with someone around here, you'll want to find someone you're already friendly with. Stick around and participate in the community. Review, post, become a regular. When people start to feel comfortable with you and have an idea of who you are, ask one of them to work with you.

2. My second one is that, as I've said, not that many skilled writers will want to collab with you if we don't know anything about you. Instead of asking us for samples, post a few of your own so we can get an idea of what your style is like. Moreover, tell us a bit about the ideas you have in mind for what kinds of stories you want to write with us. Maybe give us some examples of the kinds of characters you typically use. If we have an idea of what you want to do and what you normally put forth, something might pique our interest about you.

3. If you really must write stories with random groups of strangers without taking the time to get to know them or allowing us to get to know you, PC has a forum for that. It's called the Roleplay Corner. And I think I just gave that forum the dirtiest description it could possibly have. You're welcome, guys! b)'')b

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2015
    UGG!

Why dont you just let me try to do what is my living! I have made many other stories, which I can't give to you because of my BELOW 15 POST COUNT! I would do the RP section, but it isn't what I am looking for. What I'm looking for is a RP where everyone doesn't HAVE to have a charector, and controls everybody, more of a story than a RP. I don't like the RP, because I tried and got declined!

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    You don't need fifteen posts to post your story because you don't post your story by linking to it. You post it on the forum itself by copying/pasting the story into a new thread. If you just link to it, you'd be breaking the rules.

Also, you weren't told that you couldn't do a collab at all here. You were told that you were going about this the wrong way by just asking for a partner author when we know absolutely nothing about you. We know nothing about your writing style or what you want to write or anything, so no one knows if they want to apply to work with you because they know nothing. You got suggestions on how to make this work, and when you read those suggestions you exploded in rage. If you do that, it doesn't make you look good as someone to work with because you get upset at people offering suggestions.

It's still not clear what you're looking for in terms of a project. Post some more information about yourself so people know more about who they're working with, which was another suggestion previously given to you.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
    Years
  • Why dont you just let me try to do what is my living!

Protip: If you don't make money from it, it's not your living. Moreover, very few writers actually make a living off what they write for the sole reason that it's very, very difficult to make much of anything from writing and only writing. Buuuut you can read my rant about that on a completely different thread.

In any case, if you just write for fun without being paid, yes, you're writing for a hobby. So are we, which is why we don't just pair up with you. How much fun would it be if we found out right after agreeing to work with you that you actually don't write something that floats our boats or that in order to get anywhere in the story, we'd have to put in extra work refining lackluster ideas or chapters? (After all, if you misspell "character" and throw in commas where there aren't any needed, it says to a more experienced writer that we might need to polish your work grammatically on top of taking care of our stuff just so that everything looks good for a reader.)

Not only that, but like Asty and I said, you've got to know your partner before you can commit to writing a story. Let's face it. A story is a pretty big thing. You're going to be working closely with another person for a long time, and every last thing you do in a story needs to be shared with that other person. Put it this way. You can't move a character's arm without getting it checked by the other writer because what happens if that arm movement affects what they were planning on writing after you? Collabs are pretty heavy stuff, and you can't just pair up with anyone. Right now, we don't know anything about you, so if we pair up with you, we're diving head-first into uncharted waters with someone we don't even know. We don't know how you'll react, how you work, what kinds of things you'd bring to the table -- nothing. So, there's no bites except concrit because you're not telling us why it'd be fun for us to do this.

The only thing I apologize for in my earlier post is the use of "ass-backwards," and even that wasn't saying that you were an ass. It was saying that what you're basically doing is the equivalent of walking up to random people on the street and asking them to marry you without even so much as asking what their names are first. At least show us that you're remotely interested in your potential partners, and we'll see where it goes from there.

Back