• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Jan 8, 2017
I'm a bit confused with something. First i just need to know, how do you fill out the trainerbattle command on XSE? i get the type of battle and the pointers, but what would i be putting in "battle # to start" and "reserved"?
And now my main concern
on the script for this trainer battle, its the rival battle in the beginning
the script i made links to three different battles because the rival can potentially have three different pokemon. But i can do that, right? cause if my script cant lead to the other trainer battles, then ill have to break down the script i made into smaller chunks, which this one has alreayd taken long enough....
Also, how do i make the rival sprite not be there BEFORE the event happens? cause i already know how to make them disappear after.

Sorry for the double post, but i had another question.
How do I make videos of my gameplay? cause I have a problem with my script and and i wanted to post it on the script help thread.

Last edited:
Years
I'm a bit confused with something. First i just need to know, how do you fill out the trainerbattle command on XSE? i get the type of battle and the pointers, but what would i be putting in "battle # to start" and "reserved"?
And now my main concern
on the script for this trainer battle, its the rival battle in the beginning
the script i made links to three different battles because the rival can potentially have three different pokemon. But i can do that, right? cause if my script cant lead to the other trainer battles, then ill have to break down the script i made into smaller chunks, which this one has alreayd taken long enough....
Also, how do i make the rival sprite not be there BEFORE the event happens? cause i already know how to make them disappear after.

How do I make videos of my gameplay? cause I have a problem with my script and and i wanted to post it on the script help thread.

1. Read this tutorial ----> http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=164276
It has info on every command and script there. Find the trainer battle section and follow that. (This question should really be in the 'Script Help' thread but no worries).

2. Look for screen capture software. There is plenty of freeware programs that record your screen. Hypercam is the biggest freeware so far. It's not great but it does what it's supposed to.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Is it possible to extend Eevee's limit of five alternative evolutions to seven evolutions? Has something to do with limiters?
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work... III gen ROMs seem to have maximum of 5 evolutions and no more...
I don't know whether JPAN's patch has this limitation... you can try it for I think it's the only possibility for this to happen.

Liquid Twilight

Super Geek
Years
Hey,

Does anyone know of any hacks which contain Pokemon fusions (both sprite fusions and edited movesets at least?) and any hacks which contain good quality, convincing fakemon?

I have done a search but found very little. Thank you.

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
Years
  • Seen Jan 28, 2018

VBA has built in video capture software. If you install the ffdshow video codec, the video and audio won't desync either.

It's under Tools -> Record -> Start AVI Recording

Years
  • Seen Sep 3, 2012
HG/SS
I have a rather rare question, about park balls, to be specific.
If I capture a wild pokémon, as in one without a ball 'bound' to it, with a Park Ball, will it be ball-less or is there some sort of flag in play that will place it in a normal pokéball like in the case of hatching?

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2014
Whenever I modify the game's code for inserting ASM routines, the palettes (for all graphics) get messed up, some maps get destroyed, the game crashes when going into battle, and A-trainer says "subscript out of range." All of this happens after even modifying just 10 bytes. (XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX XX) I tried the same stuff on a clean ROM, and I still got the same results.

Years
  • Seen Jun 25, 2022
When I make a map in advance map and insert it, it always goes to Pallet Town. Then I cannot access either the events tab or the wild pokemon tab. Is there any way to change /fix these?

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Fakémon - Any Pokémon created for a hack that does not exist in the game which is being hacked.

Most hacks that I've seen around here involve Fakémon - sometimes all 386 catchable characters in the game are Fakémon, in fact. Do we have a list anywhere of hacks created that do NOT employ Fakémon? I am familiar with this thread. but many of these even have Fakémon in them. What I'd love to see is a new region, maybe a new story, etc. that uses the existing Pokémon and doesn't destroy what's already there. In other words, everything else is fair game (even evolutionary chains for those that evolve by trading normally), but just use the existing Pokémon. I make odd exceptions; for instance, I'm trying out Shining Opal where the starter is swapped with an experimental one from the lab (with special rules, such as it must remain in your party at all times), but all catchable Pokémon are otherwise the existing ones and this is the only Fakémon; something like that makes a good storyline.

So, if anyone can point to games that use only existing Pokémon, I am interested. :)

FTR, yes, adding Zorua or Rufflet (or so on) to Ruby/Emerald qualifies as Fakémon.

Cyclone

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Fakémon - Any Pokémon created for a hack that does not exist in the game which is being hacked.

Most hacks that I've seen around here involve Fakémon - sometimes all 386 catchable characters in the game are Fakémon, in fact. Do we have a list anywhere of hacks created that do NOT employ Fakémon? I am familiar with this thread. but many of these even have Fakémon in them. What I'd love to see is a new region, maybe a new story, etc. that uses the existing Pokémon and doesn't destroy what's already there. In other words, everything else is fair game (even evolutionary chains for those that evolve by trading normally), but just use the existing Pokémon. I make odd exceptions; for instance, I'm trying out Shining Opal where the starter is swapped with an experimental one from the lab (with special rules, such as it must remain in your party at all times), but all catchable Pokémon are otherwise the existing ones and this is the only Fakémon; something like that makes a good storyline.

So, if anyone can point to games that use only existing Pokémon, I am interested. :)

FTR, yes, adding Zorua or Rufflet (or so on) to Ruby/Emerald qualifies as Fakémon.

Cyclone

SkyLine by DJG may be only using 3rd gen and before, if I recall... Unless I misread it... Anyway, all of the remakes (ShinyGold, Liquid Crystal, CrystalDust) don't either, neither do the Omega, 386 or harder versions hacks (they count, Okay?)

Cyclone

Eye of the Storm
Years
  • Seen Oct 3, 2016
Yeah, I'm playing CrystalDust and am familiar with both ShinyGold and Liquid Crystal. I wish there were more original games using the same set of Pokémon, though.

I will look at SkyLine.

So a question on these others that I referred to that use 4th/5th gen. Are the sprites literally pasted over top of something else, or are they actually coded as their own Pokédex with their original stat and move lists?

Cyclone

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Yeah, I'm playing CrystalDust and am familiar with both ShinyGold and Liquid Crystal. I wish there were more original games using the same set of Pokémon, though.

I will look at SkyLine.

So a question on these others that I referred to that use 4th/5th gen. Are the sprites literally pasted over top of something else, or are they actually coded as their own Pokédex with their original stat and move lists?

Cyclone

Depends on the hack. Most, if not all, at least have the stats and movelists changed to be similar (but not identical due to lack of 4th and 5th gen moves), and some do have the Pokedex entries changed to match what the Pokemon now is. It truly depends on the hack.

Years
  • Seen Dec 6, 2023
Hi again.

I've been trying to set a level script for the starting map (4.1)

I've tried it the hard way (adding a new script to tag with 0x168CC8 (which is the starting script), but nothing I did worked. Then, I've tried to replace the data for the new level script, as follows:

Code:
#org 0x168CC8 'original level script address for the room
call 0x8800A82
end

#org 0x800A82
spriteface 0xFF 0x2
setvar 0x4056 0x1 'this line and the above are the contents of the original levelscript
lock
msgbox 0x8800B20 MSG_NORMAL
pause 0x3F
msgbox 0x8800B20 MSG_NORMAL
msgbox 0x8800B8E MSG_KEEPOPEN
setvar 0x8004 0x1
setvar 0x8005 0x1
setvar 0x8006 0xC
setvar 0x8007 0x2
special 0x136
msgbox 0x8800BAC MSG_KEEPOPEN
pause 0x1C
closeonkeypress
release
end

No matter what I do, the game freezes right after the oak intro, before you appear into your room.
The script itself isn't a problem (I've assigned it to a NPC, and it works as it should). However it as a level script breaks. I've even tried to put it in another map (4,2, which has no level scripts) and it didn't work as well.
What might be wrong?

Years
  • Seen Apr 6, 2013
It appears I've been forgotten already? I'm still waiting for an answer.

Perhaps this is just me being an ass, but are you sure that you are reloading the game? That is of course the first thing to check, but you didn't say anything about it so I figure, eh, why not mention it? Lets hope it is something like this because, though you will feel like an idiot for a few seconds, you should soon realize that this is a much better closing to the problem since any other would be dropping the move or involve lots of extra work. Good Luck either way.

Also, I am having the same problem as the above post with regards to my level scripts.
Spoiler:

What is supposed to happen is that the first script checks the result of the last battle (special 0xB4) and then writes to the variable 0x5000 a value depending on the result and should only run while the variable 0x5001 is 0. The second script should run when 0x5000 is set to 7 (which means a Pokemon was caught), the special ends a safari zone type session and the rest is obvious. What happens is as soon as I step into the map, the player gets locked as if the game is having trouble completing the script (it is seemingly identical to if you try to run a script event without setting the "Var number" in advance map). Naturally, I have run the two scripts in order using other methods, but given the nature of what I want to do, I cannot let that happen (the player should only be able to catch one Pokemon and if they run out of safari balls, I run into issues (the safari zone special script will send them to the map of the safari zone of the official games and I have no way to alter that). As far as I can tell, this is an advance-map issue, but a new set of eyes might see something I have missed.

Last edited:

BrandoSheriff

Has a tendency to figure things out
Years
If I were to hack the ???-type as the type for some attacks, would they be able to land critical hits? So far, I'm not seeing any. :/
Also, if you happen to know the battle script for high critical hit ratio (any rom), please tell me, it'd be helpful to me in finding it in Ruby.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back