• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Writing out a battle?

Years
  • Can someone give me advice/steps/an example to writing out a Pokemon battle in a fanfic?
    I'm used to writing humor/drama when I do National Novel Writing Month, so I suck at fight scenes of any kind. I could probably do it by writing out something like, "Pikachu used Tackle, and it hit the Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur used Tackle, and it hit the Pikachu. Pikachu used Tackle, and it hit the Bulbasaur. Bulbasaur used Tackle, and..." but that would be boring as heck.
    And if I'm writing a random fanfic where the characters from my completed novel take a journey through the Pokemon world in order to keep their relationship from failing, Imma have to write lots of battles. So, halp pleeez? :3

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • I have one tip:

Screw the games. Seriously, take about half of what the games tell you about Pokémon battles and throw it out the window. Assuming you want your battles to be a little more realistic, you don't want all the tiny little details about who should be moving first because they have more speed EVs even though the opponent has a high base stat because he put his EVS into Special Defence. The anime is arguably closer to the right sort of style (though that's not to say that it's a perfect example, by any means)

Years
  • So, like... as a random example, something along the lines of this?

"Pidgey, use Tackle!" Bob called out.
    "Rattata, use Tackle too!" Mary called out in return.
    Both Pokemon ran to attack each other as fast as they could. Rattata, however, was a faster runner, and it leapt at the Pidgey with all the force its tiny body could muster.
    The Pidgey was still running at the Rattata, and had no time to stop and dodge; it was hit by the move, and fell backward. The Rattata ran back to Mary to wait for further instruction.
    However, when Pidgey got back up, it was angry, and it charged after Rattata, pecking it repeatedly with its hard beak. Soon, it was the Rattata who was fallen and exhausted.
    "Rattata, come back!" Mary yelled, taking the injured Pokemon back into its Pokeball. "Go, Pikachu!"

... something along those lines? o.o;

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Yes, that's pretty good. However, I advise having the Pokémon take more hits. Remember back in the first battle you have in almost every game, where your starter and their starter are both evenly matched and are basically trading Tackles with each other? Those didn't end in two hits, and most wild battles shouldn't either. Honestly, you don't need to include Pokémon battles at all unless it's an important battle (like a Gym fight), your trainer wants to catch a Pokémon, or you need an excuse to let your entire group get thoroughly whooped by trespassing on Mt. Silver with a team of unevolved/baby Pokémon.

As for the actual fights, try writing them in real time. Also remember that Pokémon battles are serious stuff; someone's definitely going to get very into their fighting if they come across a Trainer strutting his Shiny Chimchar around and claiming it could beat your Piplup into next week. For example, if I had to write a one-on-one fight with the specifics you made, it would go something like this...

Bob stamped his foot into the ground. Mary had already depleted most of his Pokémon team, and the only creature that was still conscious was a Pidgey he had just caught. And yet all of his other Pokémon's efforts combined hadn't even seemed to put a dent in her powerhouse Ratatta. Thinking on his feet and deciding for the direct approach, Bob launched right into an attack.

"Pidgey," he commanded, "use Tackle on that pitiful rodent!"

Mary sneered. "Ugh, you've tried that strategy too many times, and it never got you anywhere… Ratatta, ram it back with a Tackle of your own!"

Both Pokémon set off like gunshots, each one clamoring to beat the other to the proverbial punch. However, since Ratatta didn't need to waste time swooping downwards to fight the other (and was just faster anyway), it got first hit. The tiny creature bounded up on its hind legs and caught the Pidgey with all the force its short, but hardy body could muster. Pidgey had no time to retaliate, and skidded to the ground with a loud squawking noise.

Ratatta snorted smugly, clearly pleased with this development. Unfortunately for Ratatta, however, this Pidgey didn't happen to be a wimpy little Pokémon like most others of its kind were. This Pidgey, as a matter of fact, was notorious for its short fuse.

Bob didn't even have to give an order; Pidgey was clearly too riled up to follow it, and besides, the small bird was already hopping towards Ratatta with alarming speed. The small, purple mouse Pokémon barely had time to register that a Pidgey was hopping around in a way that would make a Buneary proud before it was being hit with a barrage of jabs with hard Pidgey beak.

All rules and respect for the other forgotten in its fury, Pidgey did not stop his assault until Ratatta was on the verge of fainting, pleading forgiveness. Pidgey squawked angrily and nailed it on the head.

Ratatta collapsed, and Mary returned the Pokémon looking quite enraged. "That's not fair!" she yelled. "Your Pokémon can't attack mine so much like that!"

Bob shrugged. "There's no arguing with angry Pidgeys."

Mary huffed irritably. "Pikachu!" she shrieked, whipping out the appropriate Pokéball as she did so. "Teach this unfair boy some manners!"

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • As Giratina said, try writing the battles in real time, it helps with the realism. I actually experimented with this for PC's SWC. But I won't be posting it yet as It's a busy time of year. Another good tip, is that you don't always have to call a Pokemon move by it's name twice. Because sometimes, that's just redundant.

Example:

"Typhlosion, use Flame Wheel!" said Hideyoshi.

The Typhlosion steadied then prepared to perform the attack. It ran forward as flames began to engulf its body. Then, as the fire obscured the typhlosion completely it curled up, and started rolling towards the Caterpie in a lethal Catherine Wheel.
    This is an example so I don't recommend it because my grammar's bad, kinda. But you see what I mean by substituting Flame Wheel for Catherine Wheel.

Also, you can check Bulbapedia to see what moves look like.

Years
  • Thank you for the helps. :3
    Yeah the Bob/Mary example was stupid, I should have used my actual characters because they have more personality to them. One of them is the whole "zomg weak pokemon are useless, super powerful moves all the time!" type, and borderline abusive to their significant other, and the other one is the "my pokemon are my bffs zomg dont hurt them!" type, and plays the victim card in the relationship a lot. So, it would show up in their battle style, even in just the moves they use; like, Heather would waste Fire Blast on a Caterpie, while Darien would rather have a double battle and continuously use Helping Hand. o.o; What the heck Helping Hand would look like, I have no idea...
    I wasn't planning on writing out lots of minor battles, only those with the Gym Leaders... but since I'm eventually hoping to have them travel through every region from the Gameboy/DS games, that's still gonna add up. @__@

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • A good tip for writing a battle is to keep the battle at a good pace that is appropriate. It is okay fo the trainers to not call out every single attack (in dialogue) and remember, there is more to a pokemon battle in fan fiction than just moves. Remember to get the emotion of the battlers within there--pokemon and trainers. It give a good breath of fresh air within the battle if you know how the pokemon and trainer are reacting to the attacks.

Last edited:
    Back