• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Insert new pokemon Complete tutorial.

Nico_hacker

DJ Nico: Totaly n00b on hack's
Years
You really need a English course man! Serious, you have like a millions of typing errors! Still, keep up your good work with tutorials ;)

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
sory never mind what i said... n_n hehehe... but will i use the same offset that i used in the pokemon sprite to the back sprite?

Thank you..n_n yeah thanks for this tut. hehehe it help me alot

Seriously thanks a lot for the positive comment it really encourages me to extend this tutorial.

EDIT: Backsprites use different offsets.

Last edited:

poddish

Spirit Of Radio
Years
realllly

This is what I think about the 25 slots:

Ruby and Saphire were based off of Crystal but (almost) completely reprogrammed. Back in the day of Crystal, you had to have a new Pokemon for every Unown letter (there were 26 for the 26 letters in the Alphabet). But when they overhauled the code, they left in the extra Unowns until after they had programmed all the Pokemon. Then they went back and programmed the Unown Shape Byte into the Random Pokemon Generator in the game, thus eliminating the need for those extra 25 Unowns. They moved the Pokemon after Unown into those slots, but they didn't feel like moving the Hoenn Pokemon, so they just left those slots open.

So they actually were other Pokemon, and Celebi and the others are actually old Unowns, while Empty Slot 25 used to be Celebi. Get it?

Boy, that was a long post.

EDIT: Boy, I sure hope that you get the Cry Editing Tutorial in.

There are 28 unown in the 3rd and 4th gen., And they originally planned for shellos and gastrodon to be in r/s, but they got cut, thats why there is a extra back sprite for them in d/p. (info from an interview in nintendo power, not word for word though...)
If what you said was true, then why is chimeco's hex number AFTER deoxys? Why didn't they put it over one of those slots? And why would they use a game with a different, well, everything to "help" them make r/s, unless they planned on making them link up with the older games? I believe that d/p are completely edited versions of ruby or sapphire. Why?
1. SPINDA, if you send a r/s/fr/lg/e spinda to d/p it keeps the same spot pattern. why does that matter? I don't think nintendo is going to remake the spinda pattern thing EXACTLY the same as before, because the game randomly creates a (wild) spinda's spot patterns from about 1,000,000,000 different combos.
2.Battle tower, If they used fr/lg they would have to have redone the battle tower, and get rid of the trainer tower. If they used emerald, there would have been some data left from the battle frontier because of how big it was and how much space it took up.
3.time
although there are some key items from fr/lg too.

I hope someday there will be an OFFICIAL g/s remake, because its way overdue...

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
I don't really like the idea of a Gold remake for the DS. Pokemon clluseum made up for that so there is no point in making it. They only made fire red and leaf green so you could complete the pokedex.

Years
I'm having issues,after a sprite is inserted. It shows the picture fine in paint,but when game open it gets all glitchy. Seeing as i cant post url's until ive posted 15 post i can post pictures,or links. PM me if you can possibly help. Thank you

Joey the Cockroach

Dino Crisis will never die!!!!
Years
after you have imported it to unlz.gba, have another look at it again. is there some strange lines at the bottom of the image? could possibly be that the image is too big or you are evading the auto abort if it is too big.

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
Um, di you make sure that the image and the pallete offsets are atlest four spaces aprt with the palletfirts so that there data don't overlap each other?
a.k.a.
800000<-pallete
800040<-image

Jeyboye

Digital and traditional art
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2009
after you have imported it to unlz.gba, have another look at it again. is there some strange lines at the bottom of the image? could possibly be that the image is too big or you are evading the auto abort if it is too big.

Hehehe. I have the same problem.. The front sprite looks bad and back sprite looks like something but colors are like inverted.. it's not good. I wouldn't know how to search for the sprite (in unlz) since a new hex code is entered.. where could it be?

Also, does any one know how I can encounter my new made pokemon in the wild? (So far the only way I have gotten to interact with my poke sprite is by a program called 'A starter'.) Any program or hints for either one of my problems would help. Thanks.

--------------------
Peace.

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
The Backsprite uses the same pallette as the front sprite which explains the colour issue, so far you can't ecounter free-slot pokemon in the wild due to pokedex glitches so, you can only use give-pokemon events. You can also disable the pokedex in a wild event somehow, but I don't have the knowledge on how to do that....

Jeyboye

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2009
The Backsprite uses the same pallette as the front sprite which explains the colour issue, so far you can't ecounter free-slot pokemon in the wild due to pokedex glitches so, you can only use give-pokemon events. You can also disable the pokedex in a wild event somehow, but I don't have the knowledge on how to do that....

ooooooooOOOOO. I see. That might may explain somethings!! ^^

Right now I've been crashing a few back-ups since it's my first time really hex editing and hacking roms, but it's been interesting so far.

Thank you. Hope to be back and look into editing icons.
-------------------------

OK.

I know theres gotta be something up. I've done everything to try and solve why it is I can't get a front and back sprite to show up right.

I've inserted indexed original .pngs and indexed .gifs, made sure only the left two boxes were ticked, but one always ends up static, or the game freezes.. I've tried it all. Could someone who has FR try it out?

..I've looked at the first 10 hexs in a long column of emtpy strings of 'fffff' and used only the following four empty columns, in this order:

SPRITE FRONT
IMG: 00811480<----Higher
PAL: 00811440<----Lower

SPRITE BACK
IMG: 008114D0<----Higher
PAL: 00811490<----Lower

Hope someone helpful enough can assist me through this glitch. Peace.

Last edited:

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
Um...
Could you post a screenie? Otherwise, I can't help.
Anyway the icon editing tutorial is now up. ^^

Jeyboye

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2009
Sure, thanks for the icon tut. I'll have to look at it soon. :)

Confused? Ok I'll try to explain my steps for now:

1. Here are the hexs and the ones marked in red are the ones I used:

008114A0
008114B0
008114C0
008114D0

2. Import image >> 64x64 indexed .gif file. (links for images used not available, atm)

3.Write to rom Typed the hexadecimals in on unlz-gba exactly like this:

(FRONT)
Image offset: 00811480
Palette offset: 00811440

(BACK)
Image offset: 008114D0
Palette offset: 00811490

..Then 'ticked' only 'export image' and 'export platette' and clicked 'ok'

4. Then gone to p.e.p. and typed in the same hexs like this:

sprite offset: 811480
back sprite: 8114D0
Norm pallette: 811440
Shiny pallette: 811490

..save to rom..

4. ....I've yet to get one good instance of where the images are like I made them on my pc (i.e the scramble static graphic on one or the other).

I thought I'd break it down as well as I could, though.. Hopefully, it's kewl to be read and followed, and I'll get the screens as soon as I hit 15+ post limit. Thanks! Yo! :O
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace.

Last edited:

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen yesterday
Sure, thanks for the icon tut. I'll have to look at it soon. :)

Confused? Ok I'll try to explain my steps for now:

1. Here are the hexs and the ones marked in red are the ones I used:

008114A0
008114B0
008114C0
008114D0

2. Import image >> 64x64 indexed .gif file. (links for images used not available, atm)

3.Write to rom Typed the hexadecimals in on unlz-gba exactly like this:

(FRONT)
Image offset: 00811480
Palette offset: 00811440

(BACK)
Image offset: 008114D0
Palette offset: 00811490

..Then 'ticked' only 'export image' and 'export platette' and clicked 'ok'

4. Then gone to p.e.p. and typed in the same hexs like this:

sprite offset: 811480
back sprite: 8114D0
Norm pallette: 811440
Shiny pallette: 811490

..save to rom..

4. ....I've yet to get one good instance of where the images are like I made them on my pc (i.e the scramble static graphic on one or the other).

I thought I'd break it down as well as I could, though.. Hopefully, it's kewl to be read and followed, and I'll get the screens as soon as I hit 15+ post limit. Thanks! Yo! :O
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peace.

The image takes much more Hex space. Do the image, insert only 1, save it. Re open the Hex Editor, find fre space and repeat like this.

Jeyboye

Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2009
The image takes much more Hex space. Do the image, insert only 1, save it. Re open the Hex Editor, find fre space and repeat like this.

Hmmmmm.... Success!!! ^_^

It worked great. All I need to do now is figure out why the images I made and indexed didn't work. I was able only to insert my "own" images by: original gba .png >> ms paint >> save.

Thanks. You helped me way to much! Thanks! :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
Peace.

torferno lvl-X

learning asm
Years
  • Seen Aug 14, 2012
Sorry I haven't been here for a while due to work. But thanks to Turtwigtoon fow answereing that question for Jeyeboy. Anyway I might update this tu even more soon, 'cause I 've already added the Icon Editing part now.

Back