• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Other Chat Thoughts and Improvements/Revamp/Q&A

What would you like to see?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • I'm making this now so i can get any perspective changes and alterations added before fall semester.

That being said, this thread's purpose is to generate feedback about Other chat and to brainstorm solutions and new ideas to spice the forum up a bit. Basically, post any and all things you think of when you think of Other Chat, and how to improve it.

Possibilities include:

• New forum name?
    • More emblems?
    • Thread ideas?
    • Get-Together events?
    • Rules & changes?

Any and all ideas, please please please post them and let's come up with some new additions for Other Chat. VM or PM me with any questions.

Last edited:

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    No more emblems. Like I said on the blog, we don't need any more emblems. However, I am willing to say they'd be fine if they were for important events/achievements in the Other Chat section. I can't really define important, it'd have to be what the community defines it it as.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I feel like the name "other chat" is too vague in a way. A lot of the threads in here deal with current events or big news stories so maybe a name similar to that? Something like "Current Events/Issues" or "News Discussions" etc. I get that sounds kinda dull and will throw people off who don't pay attention to politics or news stories, but also the same people who always post here will stay because they already know what's posted and participate anyway. I'm sure a better/more creative name could be chosen than what I suggested, but you see what I mean.

That's my two cents :)

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Gonna throw Sydian's name onto the thread so people can comment on it as well since it's so good:

Debates and Discussions.

Debates for all those serious topics that get heated, discussions for everything else. :3

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    I think making it an entirely different section would make sense. It seems to be all debates and news, and ovp seems to be what would be an 'other chat' section on other forums. The two would be more easily distinguished with other chat having that title, as it is now it's easy for threads to be able to exist in both, an example being the ipod thread which has the quality of every ovp thread I've seen but it's been in other chat for days most likely due to the debate quality it has. Making this just a debate and news section doesn't seem like it would change much while being more true to what the section is.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Less stickies (omg so many ._., maybe try merging the pictures threads again?) and maybe some events. Emblems shouldn't... reaaaally be introduced for the sake of having emblems but take a look around and see what you think needs to be encouraged, and make and advertise some emblems for it to see if it gets people doing them.

Years
  • Agreed with Lightning and Mr Cat Dog, less stickies please! :3
    Emblems you are fine with, otherwise there could be just topics made for the sake of hoarding them and not for discussion.
    Events would be tough I think, unless you have some existing ideas! :3

Either way, I know you will do the best thing for the board, Love_Wire. I would be happy to lend a hand bro, if you need it! :3​

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I've had this thought in my mind for a little over a week now, but what about debate teams? We could have sort of like a weekly topic that can generate a healthy debate between two teams. Each team can consist of anywhere between three to six people each. To keep the debate intact and not lose focus or get anywhere nasty, we could have about two or three judges. They watch over the debate, keep the teams in check, and by the end of the debate they judge and deem the team who had the better stand of arguments winner for that week's debate topic. The members within the teams can alternate each week, that way it's not the same people debating every time so long as they're willing to participate. It also doesn't have to be weekly, but every other week or maybe monthly.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I've had this thought in my mind for a little over a week now, but what about debate teams? We could have sort of like a weekly topic that can generate a healthy debate between two teams. Each team can consist of anywhere between three to six people each. To keep the debate intact and not lose focus or get anywhere nasty, we could have about two or three judges. They watch over the debate, keep the teams in check, and by the end of the debate they judge and deem the team who had the better stand of arguments winner for that week's debate topic. The members within the teams can alternate each week, that way it's not the same people debating every time so long as they're willing to participate. It also doesn't have to be weekly, but every other week or maybe monthly.

this would be pretty awesome but there would have to be strict moderation to keep it going. also the organisation of it would have to be down to a tread because if one factor was left out, this sort of thing would easily crash and burn

Years
  • Less stickies (omg so many ._., maybe try merging the pictures threads again?) and maybe some events. Emblems shouldn't... reaaaally be introduced for the sake of having emblems but take a look around and see what you think needs to be encouraged, and make and advertise some emblems for it to see if it gets people doing them.

I was actually planning on merging the pictures threads into one, big post & discuss thread. Sound good?

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • - Like I said in the blog, Debates & Discussions for a new name would be great. Kyoko's name suggestions are nice too. As it's been stated though, Other Chat is just too vague.
    - Less stickies. This place didn't have so many before, and now there's a lot and it's like...slfjdkla idk. It feels cluttery. Merging the picture threads like you said sounds good.
    - Don't think any emblems are necessary, but if there's a high demand for them (though there doesn't seem to be) perhaps one for being a good debater and sticking with your choices on things and defending them well.
    - Get-Together events are hard to come up with for OC...I like Hiiro's idea, but maybe have it as a GT event? Like Rekky said, it'd need better moderation. And I don't think you'd wanna be having to give it that attention if it were going on all the time. You've got your hands full enough, really.

That's all I really have to say. :)

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    ngl I don't want you to change anything. Esp not the forum name, Other Chat is basically exactly what's going on here.. I'm not sure what emblems you're giving out, I only know of the one where your thread got 100+ replies, but I wouldn't add any other unless it's actually for something accomplishable.

A good Get-Together event would be a (or multiple) debate event(s). But it'd be tough to keep contained, cause you don't want random people jumping in at random times. You'd have to have certain people setup debate topics, and have debaters sign up, either for or against the topic at hand -- say, 3 people per team. And then they debate it out until the organizer of that debate decides there is a winner. And then, that team would win an emblem.

Actually, the 3 strikes rule is not very effective when the punishment is being banned from a particular thread. Cause that means I can just go troll around in a thread I don't actually care about, get 3 strikes and never even have an inkling to go back to that thread. But if the 3 strikes were to ban you from posting in the entire forum... Only problem is, that'd be really hard to keep track of, unless you actively update yourself on that user's recent posts.

Last edited:

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • What the hell is with everybody's hard-on about less stickies? Seriously OC DOES NOT HAVE A STICKY PROBLEM!

Nor does anywhere else.

I also STRONGLY oppose a name change. I want debate threads isolated to a subforum so they can be more easily moderated, and in such a subforum, new thread mod approval can be easily activated without ruining the ORIGINAL point of OC. We're getting dangerously close to the Thunderdome v2, and you all CANNOT deny that...but with proper moderation we WONT have another Thunderdome.

More emblems are a plus but there doesn't have to be many more. 1 or 2 new emblems would be fine, especially ones for good debate topic starters, ect.

Years
  • What the hell is with everybody's hard-on about less stickies? Seriously OC DOES NOT HAVE A STICKY PROBLEM!

Nor does anywhere else.

I also STRONGLY oppose a name change. I want debate threads isolated to a subforum so they can be more easily moderated, and in such a subforum, new thread mod approval can be easily activated without ruining the ORIGINAL point of OC. We're getting dangerously close to the Thunderdome v2, and you all CANNOT deny that...but with proper moderation we WONT have another Thunderdome.

More emblems are a plus but there doesn't have to be many more. 1 or 2 new emblems would be fine, especially ones for good debate topic starters, ect.

Having personally read almost all the threads in the T-dome, I can safely say we're no way even close to some of the atrocities I've seen in there yet.

I like having a lot of stickies. Makes the forum look bigger, etc. :<

Kevin

kevin del rey
    Years
  • I dunno what types of Get-Togethers you guys can host here, but it'd be fun to see some. Maybe play some onlines games (the ROM hacking forum had that for Get-Togethers).

But it does need a new name (Debates and Discussions). And the number of stickies seem fine to me (Emulation has a whole lot so I'm used to it).

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I dunno what types of Get-Togethers you guys can host here, but it'd be fun to see some. Maybe play some onlines games (the ROM hacking forum had that for Get-Togethers).

He meant events that were OC-type. Playing games is more VG or PGC related.

Thread approval for OC doesn't seem like a good idea. Thread approval is only for sections that have a certain standard on how threads should be posted. That's not to say OC doesn't have standards, but looking at the threads in Emulation and Challenges, you'll see what I mean. Those have a certain criteria to meet, so it's better to have them under approval. Plus, more threads are created in OC daily than the thread approval forums (as far as I know, probably excluding Emulation in that though).

You make it sound like OC is a wreck right now, saying it's nearly T-Dome quality. I haven't read the T-Dome stuff, but I trust Live's judgement in that it's not. Plus if it were, h-staff would have taken a more immediate action in OC.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    The debate team will never work, given PC's less than outstanding ability to handle other posters opinions, for starters.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Well, unless you can actually bring in more traffic, I think the section is pretty good as it is.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back