• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: Nameless Sprite Editor [Classic]

link12552

decade club
Years
Responses

I'm interested in replacing the Old man - the one that catches a Weedle - 's backsprite.
How am I able to do that?
In offset Browsing the offsets are:

Frame 0: E70EBC
Frame 1: E716BC
Frame 2: E71EBC
Frame 3: E726BC

The palette is LZ77 compressed so NSE won't read it properly.
I think APE can do it, though, in LZ mode.

Palette Offset: E76F34 (LZ77 compressed)

Hey Can you help me. I want to change the Backsprite of Red in Pokemon Fire red. I am using your NSE. I only know the first offset of red. Here it is: F69EFC.
Here is the Screenshot from your post:
NSEoffsetbrowsing.png
. Can you give me the other 3 offset of Red?

Here are the offsets for each frame:

Frame 0: E69EBC
Frame 1: E6A6BC
Frame 2: E6AEBC
Frame 3: E6B6BC
Frame 4: E6BEBC

I'm not sure of the palette offset...

I-Like-Shiny-Pichu

ClariS <3
Years
In offset Browsing the offsets are:

Frame 0: E70EBC
Frame 1: E716BC
Frame 2: E71EBC
Frame 3: E726BC

The palette is LZ77 compressed so NSE won't read it properly.
I think APE can do it, though, in LZ mode.

Palette Offset: E76F34 (LZ77 compressed)

You can use APE to use the palette, the palette is attached. Hope this helps :)

Note: I dont think you can load palettes into NSE so you may have to use this in APE and then use the colour offsets to make the appropriate palette in NSE, it only takes about a minute

PureGoober

Minecrafter
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Jul 9, 2014
It won't work.
I have XP.
I downloaded it, unzipped it, and it wouldn't initailize.
Help?

link12552

decade club
Years
You can use APE to use the palette, the palette is attached. Hope this helps :)

Note: I dont think you can load palettes into NSE so you may have to use this in APE and then use the colour offsets to make the appropriate palette in NSE, it only takes about a minute

Currently NSE can edit palettes, just not the compressed ones...
For regular palettes ,though, just input them in offset browsing's palette box and NSE'S palette editor can take care of the rest.

It won't work.
I have XP.
I downloaded it, unzipped it, and it wouldn't initailize.
Help?

Do you have the .net 3.5 framework installed on your computer? If not try installing it, if you do try reinstalling it. [Link at bottom of first post]

For any body else reading this, I'm currently working on a bookmarking system for NSE's offset browsing. This will allow you to save an offset and palette to a bookmark (ie. Textbox offset and palette).
I'm planning on including a bookmark file with many offsets and pallets already defined in the next version of NSE.

Last edited:

link12552

decade club
Years
Update 1.65

Update 1.65

• Fixed a bug in the NSl importer.
  • Slightly updated the Hex editor.
  • Added some more reliability to Resizing Sprites.
  • Added a bookmarking system.
Bookmarks are stored in a file (bookmarks.NBM) in the same directory as NSE.
This file will be created at run-time by NSE and can store bookmarks for many different games based on their header or inherited value. Bookmarks can be entirely edited in NSE, but the bookmark file is human readable if opened in a program such as notepad.

Bookmarks store:

• Image Offsets
  • Palettes
  • Images preferred size
  • Whether the palette is editable
  • And a gray-scale option

-Example-
Bookmarks.png

The example bookmark file is included in the newest version of NSE and contains bookmarks for Firered.
With:

• All of the back-sprites (Heroes, old man...)
  • Text-boxes and selection boxes as well as their palettes
  • The flower animation
  • The grass animation
  • Some character interactions (surf, fly, exclamations...)

Last edited:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
Wow, very nice ;D I really like the whole bookmarking thing. I have already been keeping track of offsets, and now I can do it even better. Also thanks for the file. There where some offsets I didn't have recorded. :)

Years
  • Seen Aug 3, 2011
I'm a bit lost on how browsing by offset works. unLZ says the image offset is 0E58C44, but that brings up garbage data. Do I need to convert the number from unLZ to NSE or is there something I don't understand?

Xela

Do you believe in yourself?
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 18, 2024
This is just an completely awesome tool, and I love it!
Two questions though...
1: Is it possible to change the sprite bank? Or do you have to deal with entering one offset at a time? Since, some people (Me) have added new OWs in the hack. Nvm, I just read the Read Me.txt file in the newest release. :) Sorry, but where do I get settings.ini file? It wasn't included in the download, or do I have to make the file manually? :S
2: Could I have you bookmark file? :D

Last edited:

link12552

decade club
Years
Response

I'm a bit lost on how browsing by offset works. unLZ says the image offset is 0E58C44, but that brings up garbage data. Do I need to convert the number from unLZ to NSE or is there something I don't understand?
Like Full Metal said, NSE is used for editing uncompressed images.
For compressed images I would also currently recommend using Unlz
(At least this is until I get an understanding of Lz compression ;p)

This is just an completely awesome tool, and I love it!
Two questions though...
1: Is it possible to change the sprite bank? Or do you have to deal with entering one offset at a time? Since, some people (Me) have added new OWs in the hack. Nvm, I just read the Read Me.txt file in the newest release. :) Sorry, but where do I get settings.ini file? It wasn't included in the download, or do I have to make the file manually? :S
2: Could I have you bookmark file? :D

Glad you enjoy using NSE!

1) In order to use a settings.ini file you must first create one.
This can easily be done in notepad, by following the format in the read-me.
Just create the file in the same directory as NSE, as settings.ini, and NSE will do the rest.

2) Yes, you can use the bookmark file included with NSE, modify it, delete it, add to it, or whatever ;)
..although I just quickly threw the bookmark file together for the purpose of being an example, I'm glad people find it useful.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Jun 6, 2010
Hmm. I'm hacking FireRed, and i'm on the introduction.
I've made professor Oak's ingame sprites bald using your program, would there be a way to get the bookmarks to incloude the Introduction Oak?

Full Metal

C(++) Developer.
Years
Hmm. I'm hacking FireRed, and i'm on the introduction.
I've made professor Oak's ingame sprites bald using your program, would there be a way to get the bookmarks to incloude the Introduction Oak?

no, i'm pretty sure that this is an UNCOMPRESSED image editor. seriously, how many times has this been said?
If you don't know what that means, i've written about it a little bit in my thread in the r/d section ( i think, if not, i clearly need to...)

link12552

decade club
Years
UPDATE - NSE 1.69

UPDATE 1.69 - Released on the occasion of my birthday! :cool:

• NSE can now change the number of frames a sprite uses
  • You can now change the animation type of individual sprites
  • Re-pointing of a sprite's frame table
  • Better free-space orienting for better results
  • NSL 3.0 has been released; NSL 3.0 files are smaller than their bitmap equivalents. (NSE still is backwards compatible with older NSL files)
  • Fixed a bookmarking bug that involved sprite size (Nothing Major)
Animations are changed through "Preferences" in the Primary tab
and include things like whether to animate a sprite as a person, an object, a biker, a tree ect...
-----------------
Preferences2.png

For anyone who cares, this used to be the ruby (The actual rock) sprite.
For a test/example, I changed it to the ruby, character, and changed its frame count to 9.

--

Changing the frame count of a sprite is was a much anticipated feature :P.
In NSE it's as simple as adjusting how many frames you want a sprite to have (up to 10),
deciding whether you want to copy over the old image pointers, and clicking change.
-----------------
ChangeFrames.jpg

If you want to change a sprite's size or animation type, do it before changing the frame count. It will save space in your ROM.

Side Note(s):

• An NSL editor type thing is coming soon...
  • A new example bookmark file is included with NSE with some more offsets pre-defined.

Last edited:
Back