• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[MUGEN] Samurott Showdown

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013

Samurott Showdown
Plaform: Windows / PC
Engine: MUGEN
Type: 2D Fighting

Update 13/02/12: Punch, kick.

imYvk.png

XwSyR.png

MUGEN?

mkd4ev.png

Wikipedia said:
M.U.G.E.N (also known simply as MUGEN) is a freeware 2D fighting game engine designed by Elecbyte...

After a long hiatus, the MUGEN engine has seen a rebirth of sorts with a regrouping the original development team bringing new releases of the engine quickly bring it up to speed to modern designs, and offering further possibilities for games in the future.

MUGEN is well known as an immensely customisable engine, with creations of all kinds ranging from well-produced reproductions of characters from official fighting games, adaptations of other video game characters to a fighting game style, even the rare original work that some creators are able to release. There's also the undoubtedly most infamous side of MUGEN, the creations that seek to better each other with more and more over the top and unbalanced Shin Evil Oni Ryus and SSJ 5 Gokus battling with a feast of 100% cancel combos and enough particle effects to induce epilepsy.

This will not be any of that.​

The Samurott Showdown

My project seeks to create a new fighting game based around Pokémon; releasing individual characters and stages will make up a game that seeks to draw inspiration from the giants of the industry - Capcom's Street Fighter series and SNK's The King Of Fighters games while remaining fun and simple to play at it's core.

The game uses high-resolution artwork designed for 720p monitors and TVs, features remixed music based on classic Pokémon tracks, and a cast of characters taken from all 15 years of Pokémon's history, as well as hand-drawn stages bringing the Pokémon world into a new light.​

A Story?

One fateful day, a group of men and women from across the world recieved their personal invitations to a grand fighting tournament hosted by a mysterious benefactor. A tournament of teams, where combatants band together in groups of three to prevail over their challengers.

Naturally, they decide to traverse the globe beating up the other competitors to be crowned the king of all fighters, in search of their respective true goals - whether they be heroic in nature, driven by quest for wealth and power, or because they were bored. Thus began the Samurott Showdown

Game Mechanics

The game is intended to be reminiscent of basic Street Fighter and KOF mechanics - each character plays with a six-button control layout - three punches and three kicks of varying power, along with special moves executed with directional commands and attack buttons.

Watch this space for more information about the system mechanics.​

Art

finalstanceireallymeanit.gif

Character graphics are created by pre-rendering 3D models as cel-shaded, fluidly animated sprites, for the best mix of animation quality, production speed and ease of use.

Each character will have 12 selectable colour schemes - chosen by pressing one of the punch or kick buttons with or without holding down the "Start" / Pause button, most of which I can guarantee will have more effort put into them than a lot of Pokémon's shiny colours.

Current Character - Blaziken

Thanks, and have fun.

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
Hot damn. I really like the graphical style you've got going for this game. I can't wait to see more.

Have you decided on a roster?

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Mostly yes, although I'm not spoiling it all just now.

It will be an equal share between all 5 generations, unlike a certain other game.

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
Years
This has really evolved from your early doodles and babbling in IRC. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
Holy hell this looks fantastic right now. I'm really excited to see future progress! You definitely have my support.

cruciFICTION

A Cruciform Kaleidoscope
Years
... This is going to be awesome. That Blaziken looks great.

Will they be able to evolve through the game?

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
No that's a gimmick and I don't feel like dealing with twice as many graphics and characters,

Last edited:

cruciFICTION

A Cruciform Kaleidoscope
Years
Unless the screen scrolls a fair way and is fairly large, I can't help but feel that stride is a bit too large maybe? I mean, if you double-tap right and the enemy is moving towards you, you'll go what, maybe two steps? It'll just look a bit jarred, I think.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Whilst it's occurred to me I could do with re-rendering the character slightly smaller (somewhere between 90 to 95% - he's still intended to be slightly taller than average) it's roughly in line with how KOF's been doing it since 1996. Running traverses the screen real fast.

e: yeah, scale it down to 93% and we're golden.

kofcomparison2.jpg

Last edited:

marcc5m

what
Years
This is good. I like.

And also now I know what you were planning to do with your pixelz art, hurrah!

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2014
gotta go fast.

run.gif

Running is a mobility option executed by double-tapping the forward directional button.
To be honest, that run cycle is kind of meh. It just looks like you swept bloth legs back and forth, and there is no sense of weight or contact with a ground plane with this, nor a demonstration of arcs.

While it's sort of cartoony, here is a good reference as to animating a run cycle:
Spoiler:

Notice where the stretch and compression of the legs and feet are happining. Your run will look more convincing if you employ this with your run cycle. I'm an Animation Major at my university, so I have an eye for these sort of things.

cruciFICTION

A Cruciform Kaleidoscope
Years
I just realised why I don't like that run animation. His head is ALWAYS lowered like that, right? I feel that if Blaziken were running, though, he'd raise his head and lean forward more. Maybe with his arms back, like a ninja.

But the big... things... coming out the back of his head seem to be the kind of things that should be lifted so as to reduce drag or something.

... It just looks a bit off, and that would fix it, I think.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
Let's not take the jokes too far before we get something that runs like a giant red Sonic. As for the hair it's probably near weightless but it's also inexplicably stiff so I don't even want to begin to think how it behaves with regards to physics.

Years
This game looks really great and you obviously have the skills with art and animation to pull it off. I can't wait to see everything come together; I feel this has the potential to be one of the best games to come out of PC.

Years
  • Seen Mar 10, 2013
I might just end up re-rendering the characters with a more cel-shaded style, as MUGEN works with 256-colour paletted sprites it's a lot easier to work with simple shading than near-gradient shading (which is already getting noticeably banded by the 256-colour GIFs) And especially because I don't want to draw over these until the very last step because doing that takes a hell of a long time, so they wouldn't stick out against hand-drawn backgrounds as much.

Something like this:

runtoon.gif

Back