• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Add more types in the future?

LilyAnn

All your base are belong to us
Years
No. We don't need anymore new types after the fairy. They need to use more dualtypes before anything else. There's so much they can do. Especially with this new type. I really want to see a fairy/dragon type :p

Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Dec 14, 2013
I don't generally support the idea of new types but for a long time I've been wondering why there isn't a Wind type and why moves like Gust and Hurricane are 'Flying' type even though they would be better suited to a hypothetical Wind type·· Ground and Rock are separate types, Water and Ice are separate types, so why no Wind type? Pokémon like Tornadus (both forms), Rotom-S and Whimsicott for example could be Wind type and I'm sure there are others that could fit, though specific examples are difficult to come up with, possibly because GF didn't think about a Wind type separate from Flying type..

Arrow

I'd like to be a tree :3
Years
I seriously doubt GF will introduce another type. The only reason Fairy is here is so that Dragon-types will be less overpowered, while giving Poison and Steel a bit more. The whole system is balanced now, so there probably won't be any new types, unless a type somehow goes overpowered again. Dark and Steel were introduced to balance out Psychic (well, it's Dark who's the relevant one), Fairy was made for Dragon.

However, I would love to see some more creativity with the types. If they were to introduce a new type, I would love a Galaxy-type. I think it sounds so cool and mysterious. And think of the type combinations! Galaxy and Dragon! I would ask that Pokemon to train ME.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
The Fairy type, while...surprising (It was rumored/constantly suggested on 'type' wishlists for the longest of times, although I didn't think we actually needed it and that it would actually become real!) is now OK with me (I'd argue that it didn't re-type enough Pokemon - mainly for design/aesthetic purposes rather than balancing purposes), and I like how some of its type match-ups (mainly "Fairy vs Dragon" and "Fairy vs Steel) reference some tidbits of Fairy lore...

The only type I would like to see (and that makes sense to me) is Light, maybe Crystal (and that's mostly because of Crystal-style Jutsu that I read about on the Naruto wiki), more in an elemental sense (like how Digimon and Yu-Gi-Oh! "utilize" it, I guess). The Dark type has shifted from solely "underhanded tactics" to including actual "darkness" element manifestations (Dark Pulse says hi!), overlapping with the Ghost type and the "Shadow" type). The only thing I'm torn about is which moves and/or Pokemon should be re-typed (for instance, Luster Purge, Doom Desire/Flash Cannon, and Solar Beam, all of which add type variety with their respective Psychic, Steel, and Grass typings, mention and/or utilize "light" in some way). Light would also have to be made somewhat distinct from the Fire and Electric types (both of which also produce "Light").

While ice contains crystalline structures, I feel like "crystal" could easily be differentiated from "ice", since there are crystals that are nothing like water/ice...

Lava as an element makes sense, although you can easily fix that with dual-typed Fire/Ground, Fire/Rock, or even Fire/Steel moves in future generations, so I don't think it needs a whole type assigned to/dedicated to it. Maybe Magcargo could benefit if it were Lava (Fire+Rock)/something else, though..

Anything else like Sound (I like the mechanic of sound-based moves, just not the concept of a Sound type), Plasma, Space, Cyber, or anything else along those lines just sounds too forced for my tastes. And at this point, I think we have most of the "type/element/unique animal classification" bases covered..

The Shadow-type mechanic (roughly super-effective against EVERYTHING that's "non-Shadow" {XD}) introduced in Pokemon Colosseum has potential if it were used sparingly in the handheld main series games (where, on occasion, you would need to face and/or purify some "Shadow" Pokemon), and it also allowed better manifestations of "elemental Darkness" than the "Dark" (English) type does. It works nicely as a "type mechanic", although I don't think it needs to be a full-fledged type itself (although you really could consider it an "18th type" in Colosseum due to type matchups, I perceive "Shadow" as a type mechanic since you can outright lose the classification/condition with purification).

I personally consider the ???-type as an actual (albeit unused and un-assigned) type (all types are hit for regular 1x damage, and the ???-type lacks any weaknesses, resistances, or immunities); the one Pokemon I think that is deserving of such a type (if used in mainstream Pokemon gameplay) is Missingno., being the lovable-yet-scary, quirky glitch "Pokemon" that it is.. <3

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jun 17, 2015
A lot of possible new typings I can think of seem a little bit forced. Sound could be cool but it would be hard to decide what is good or bad against it. I'm sure that at some point way down the line they'll come up with a new typing and shock people like what they did with the fairy typing, but I'm pretty comfortable with the way things are now.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
The only time I'd like to see a new type introduced is if the type can balance out Ghost because Ghost got buffed big-time this gen.

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
Years
Some people do want to see more types, however with so many types already (Including the new Fairy-type) adding more types would probably make Pokemon a little too complicated. 18 types is good enough already.

Bestintheworld

Capo de tutti capo
Years
I don't think there any good types left, they pretty much got everything covered. Anything else you come up with would prolly overlap an existing group making it pointless

Guest123_x1

Considering it took so long to introduce a new type since the last expansion (Generation II), I don't think there will be any more new types, at least not for a very long time.
However, if there ever comes yet another new type in the future, I'd like to see it not have an immunity (all of the post Gen I 'expansion' types (Steel, Dark, and Fairy) have one immunity each.) I honesty wasn't expecting Fairy to even have an immunity.

Lost Lore

From the Shadows
Years
I'd only want to see more new types if it's in the interest of balance. For example, if Ice resisted it, since Ice is the only type left in need of a serious defensive buff. (I mean, seriously, what's up with it only resisting Ice? Can't it resist like... Water, or something, at least?)

Granted, I don't think it'll be anytime soon, if they do decide to add any more. And they'd better not nerf my precious Dark-type any more than they already have... I'll never forgive those darn Fairies, I was just fine with them until that.

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen May 15, 2023
I don't buy into the "They only introduce a new type to balance out the game play" schtick because that's hardly true. If it were true Fairy would have appeared sooner than it did, or they would have made less powerful dragons, not that the introduction of Fairy Type did anything for balance other than throw it a little further from being balanced.

Steel got a change, completely unrelated to fairy type addition and that was a balance update to give it a not so tanky tank feel. Fighting and Dark didn't need new weaknesses, Bug didn't need to be resisted by another type. There wasn't much balance brought in.

With the rant out of the way, I'd like for Sound to become an actual type. Unlike Powder, Punching, Aura, and Biting, Sound is more than just a descriptive grouping for a set of attacks and deserves its own recognition as a type. It already has an ability that nullifies it similar to other types.

Sound is really all I'd like to see added in right now as the other types: Cosmic, Astral, Holy, Light, ect. ...They just don't really fit in. They'd be good for RPGs in general and any Pet collection/Monster Taming games that aren't Pokemon.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
I think we've got enough new types, it'd just be cooler to see some more interesting dual-typings. Imagine opposite types being stuck together (Fire/Water, Grass/Fire, Dark/Fairy, etc.)? That would be really cool!

I think the only dual-type I never want to see again is Fire/Fighting...how they got away with THREE starters like that I'll never know!
I agree with this post. New dual types can be an interesting way of making cool new pokémon. If some typings, Fire/water or something, would be "too strong", they could make the pokémon not an overly strong species.

Personally I was fine before we added Dark and Steel even, haha, because Steel could have fallen into the Rock type somehow, like with Rhyhorn. And Dark could have fallen into Psychic or ghost depending on what the pokémon was like.

So I'm not going to fight for yet another type to be added ;) Even though I think it was a fun thing that we got fairies. I think of that type as "fairytale" pokémon, I guess. I've heard better explanations for it though.

As some have said, more types would only be to balance the competitive gameplay.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
No, I think adding more types will make the metagame even more complicated. that's not necessarily a bad thing for veterans, but for newbies it would suuuck. I think that there should be a more diverse pool of dual types rather than new types.

Back