• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Internet Dating

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
I know about 5 people who are involved in, or have goten involved with a person that they originaly met on the internet. But in my opinion, these people dont know how dangerous this can be because of how in love they are.

What do you think? Keep in mind, that this is open discussion, so dont bash people because you dont agree with what they say.

Micans

Banned
Years
  • Seen Jul 27, 2006
If you've met the person before, it would be fine. If you've conversed on a webcam, it's kind of weird, but a little better than someone you met on IM or a forum.

mewthree w/armor

The Stig - PC Site Admin
Years
I would not do this due for simply the fact you know know who your talking to on the other end, for me it would be kreepy. Ya just don't know, and it's easy to lie.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
Years
It doesn't really matter..it's up to the person, anyway, so as long as they're aware of what they're doing. I personally feel uneasy about net relationships and such, as if I'm blinded by naiveté without knowing it. o_O;

Vanilla Kitsune

Bloody git
Years
Well, you can approach this two ways I guess.

One way being the person that agrees with it. I mean, if you trust the person, maybe have had a phone convo with someone webcam, whatever. You know its not some 50 year old perv plotting to capture you. IE relationships require lots of trust. Well, technically all of them do but still. If you love and trust them, distance shouldn't matter. After all, you can't use distance to measure love.

Another way would be no. Someone could easily say they're your age and be some psyco who rapes people. Sick and twisted yes. I mean, I would never give out my info to someone I just met. I don't think anyone would. Unless you're kinda slow in the area. If someone says, "I'm coming to see you" then block them or sign off. Unless you have talked to them, and your mom/dad whoever has had a convo with them.

My point is... well. I'm for them. If you love them, go for it.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
Years
I think alot of people do get carried away. I know I do it but I'm try hard to be careful and I know who to trust and what not. Its not hard tell if the person is lying....How would a 50 year old man now so much about anime and stuff? o_o Then again I really have no say. But I kinda think of it that way. =/

Years
It's easy enough for some people to lie about themselves in real life as well, such as by hiding their true personality; it's just that on the internet, there's the added barrier of not being able to see the person you're chatting with. Except if there's a webcam involved, of course.

People do need to be careful in situations like that. The possibility of the person behind the other computer monitor being a major liar who wants to do horrible things to others is there, yes; however, there's at least an equal possibility that that person is who they actually say they are, and actually be a decent person. That's where the whole idea of getting to know each other by other means comes in.

Meh. My main opinion on internet dating: if two people feel as though they honestly have feelings for each other, can trust each other, and are willing to try to make a relationship work - best of luck to them, then.

Chase Leader

Music Is My Miracle Drug!
Years
I can't say I'm for online dating, like people have stated above, they could be lying. I won't say there haven't been sucessful realtionships that have come from it but I think for alot of online daters(not all)are desperate...and that can be a bad quality.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 15, 2011
Like wat Sato said,its practically unsafe due to those reasons. They dont noe wat they got themsleves into. =/ I personally aint game for it.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
My opinion: Should be illegal.

What is the point of going online, and risking your neck for a guy or girl that you dont even know? I know a person who is inviting someone that they met online to their birthday party, and I wont say who. Even if I was the person who made them meet, I still dont know him... Bad choices these people make...

Kim

Years
I see a few of the latter posters here dont' know a thing about dating.

When I was 14, I got a random IM from a 17-year-old guy in an AOL chatroom. Was I desperate? No. I went to that chat because a friend invited me. Was he desperate? No, he noticed we listened to some of the same bands, so he messaged me. We continued talking online and on the phone for the next 3 years, until he came and visited me. I had a friend with me, just in case anything went wrong.

We did not start dating til a while after...after he continued to visit me for lengthy periods of time.

Our 2 year anniversary is coming up soon. We also live together and attend college together.

Does that make us desperate? Hell no. It means we became online buddies who happened to meet, and now are in a relationship.

Please keep in mind, we were both of legal age when the relationship started. I don't condone meetings like this unless both parties are over 18.

I'm also confused when you guys say "well they could be lying as to who they are!"...well, people do that in the REAL WORLD, too. When I was 17, I dated a guy who told me he was 18. Him looking 18 didn't help, either. I then found out he was 14 through a friend.

Convicted rapists...do you really think they tell every lady they date that they raped someone? No.

People can lie in the "real world" just as easy as they can on the Internet. Everyone just needs to be smart and safe and learn to live with it.

Persona

Banned
Years
offcoarse not.....wat if they r not who u think they r? and wat if they're the same gender as u!? omg O.o srry i said that, but its true...it could happen and they will always lie, they're personality might be different.......and it's the stupidest idea 2 have internet dating....it makes no sense! its not like u will ever meet in real life.........

~D.S~

Blaze

Shine On~
Years
I believe it all depends on the circumstances, I mean anyone can be a sexual predator. Online or off online, you really don't know the type of person you are dealing with.

I do not support Internet Dating, yet I do not condone it. People find love in unique ways and as long as they are of legal age than let them do what they want.

You cannot make something illegal just because a few sexual predators use this as a means to find victims. What about the thousands who have actually found everlasting love through this means?

Persona

Banned
Years
Revo said:
I believe it all depends on the circumstances, I mean anyone can be a sexual predator. Online or off online, you really don't know the type of person you are dealing with.

I do not support Internet Dating, yet I do not condone it. People find love in unique ways and as long as they are of legal age than let them do what they want.

You cannot make something illegal just because a few sexual predators use this as a means to find victims. What about the thousands who have actually found everlasting love through this means?

hmmm......well maybe i would agree on that, if ppl actually found true luv through this then i would disagree 2 go against this internet dating but the fact that yes there r sexual predators in the world that get 2 other ppl by using it...i just can't let that past by at all.......u make a good point though.

~D.S~

Blaze

Shine On~
Years
DragonSlayer(Ryan) said:
hmmm......well maybe i would agree on that, if ppl actually found true luv through this then i would disagree 2 go against this internet dating but the fact that yes there r sexual predators in the world that get 2 other ppl by using it...i just can't let that past by at all.......u make a good point though.

~D.S~

You do know that there can be a sexual predator at PC, Living Next Door, In Your Local Wal-Mart, A Family Friend, etc...

You cannot prejudge a service because of a few bad people, when you can run into them *anywhere* in the world.

If anything it would make sexual predators more deadly, since cops wouldn't be able to pretend to be 14 year old girls.

So don't hate Internet Dating, see the pro's it has to offer which totally outweigh the cons.

Persona

Banned
Years
Revo said:
You do know that there can be a sexual predator at PC, Living Next Door, In Your Local Wal-Mart, A Family Friend, etc...

You cannot prejudge a service because of a few bad people, when you can run into them *anywhere* in the world.

If anything it would make sexual predators more deadly, since cops wouldn't be able to pretend to be 14 year old girls.

So don't hate Internet Dating, see the pro's it has to offer which totally outweigh the cons.

i never said i hated internet dating, i just never do those things......i think its pointless but for the ppl who like 2 do use it 2 find their true luv, i respect that....i'm just warning them........yes i know, its true, sexual predators don't just come from internet dating, its everywhere in real life.......

~D.S~

Back