• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
  • "I'm going to see what lies beyond the Dragon."

We need a new bold topic, the Lounge is falling back into inactivity. D:

How true do you stick to science in any of your fics?
    I'll answer now since I already have an answer. Usually, I seriously try to stick to science and not deviate from the laws of Physics and Thermodynamics. I use the Asimov approach to writing science. This method involves writing something that sounds scientific and is technically plausible. But, when you check the actual schematics or physics behind the occurrence, you find it to be implausible.

Examples include Multivac. It is possible to create an omniscient computer at a glance, but it would take to long to create all the infinite number of connections that make up such a complex computer. Therefore, you cannot build a computer like in "The Last Question" within the span of your lifetime.

Otherwise, another example would be the Air Trecks from Air Gear. Technically possible, but the power intake of the motors from the skates would cause the batteries to run out in a matter of seconds. Also, the power core seems to be abnormally small.

I think that Hari Seldon explains this quite nicely in Prelude to Foundation.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • "Do I take the LeSabre? Do I risk carjacking charges? OH HECK YEAH!"

I try to keep science in my writing fairly realistic. I don't have people flying around on Pokemon because scientifically, it seems impossible.

However, I do include the fact that Pokemon can be transferred as data through computer networks, despite the fact that seems implausible. I adopt the fact that the Pokemon world has more advanced technology, but not the fact that some aspects violate the laws of physics.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • EOLS commits GTA. +1 star. MNZ goes around blind dragon, finds hoard...of rocks.

Very true, if I want to. Granted, Mastermind has a character that can alter the laws of entropy and quantum physics at will, but those alterations involve hard science and how mass and energy naturally react. It's not just "I created a psychic barrier." It's "By controlling entropy, I moved all of the energy out of a cluster of air molecules into the other molecules in the room, thereby creating a barrier of frozen atmosphere." Basically, random chance becomes dictated, offering customized results.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • How true do you stick to science in any of your fics?

As much as possible that I know without getting too much in the particulars. In one insistence, my character control the brain waves by control electric currents within the cerebrum of the brain. I don't explain that yet,you know. The same person also controls magnetism using the pulse in electronic currents.

If it something I don't know. I stay away from getting to scientific in case of looking insanely uneducated.

Bay

Years
  • How true do you stick to science in any of your fics?
    I don't do science much, but I try to stick to it as much as possible. If I'm in doubt, I research (though I'm better at researching current business situations than science XD; ). Even though some things in Pokemon might not make sense in the real world, in their world it makes sense so I'll go by with their science to not break canon (although sometimes the different canons contradict each other and such).

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Do you prefer to write on paper or keyboard(disregarding word processing software)? Likewise, do you prefer to read on the computer screen, or do you prefer to read on paper?
    Paper for both. When I write on paper, I can write anywhere without losing my place. As for reading, my eyes don't get tired reading on paper as quickly, and there's also the ease of being able to read anywhere.

Do you think romance should always be an integral part of a fic?
    Redstar's answer, spot-on. He said all I could say.

Is it hard or relatively easy for you to receive a critical review of your work? What can make it difficult to read or accept a review and what can make it easier?
    Depends on the tone of the review. I can receive reviews that cover my problems, so long as they aren't written as a borderline flame. But if you're unleashing the CAPS LOCK OF RAGE and multiple exclamation points!!! to get your point across, then I'm not going to pay as much attention to your review.

I think that Hari Seldon explains this quite nicely in Prelude to Foundation.
    Have you yet read the rest of the Foundation series? Magnifico! <3

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • "Are they golems? I'm just going to poke one." :D

Have you yet read the rest of the Foundation series? Magnifico! <3
    Not as of now, but I'm still reading. I've got to hand it to Asimov, he really knows his stuff. Once I'm done with Foundation, I'm going to start on Orson Scott Card's work. XD

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • The rock clatters off the pile. The dragon turns towards the sound.

Isaac Asimov is the best. Three laws of robotics WOO! <3 <3 <3

Speaking of robots, my school basically dumps its "outdated" technology whenever anything new rolls in. Outdated referring to 1.6 GHz Pentium 4's and such.

Needless to say, I'm making a homunculus computer to take over the school and teach these people not to be so wasteful.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • "Uhhh, Threads?" I hold out a piece of string.

Isaac Asimov is the best. Three laws of robotics WOO! <3 <3 <3
    <3 <3 <3
    The Laws that govern Robots, must not be broken. He's a genius if i do say so myself. He even coined the term "Robotics", and possibly "Positronic".

Speaking of robots, my school basically dumps its "outdated" technology whenever anything new rolls in. Outdated referring to 1.6 GHz Pentium 4's and such.
    O_o That's sad... I on the other hand, still have my Pentium 4, 1.8 GHz computer from 2003. It's six years old as of a few months ago. I'd be sad to let it go. My brother owns a laptop though, so if I need to run a high powered application, i.e.Spore or Sims 3, then I'll just use his.

Needless to say, I'm making a homunculus computer to take over the school and teach these people not to be so wasteful.
    A homonculus is used to define an artificial human(Sorry for being a logic Nazi. XD). I'd love to see how you'd combine those two. People should be less wasteful. My Primary school had an old, really old, Windows 98 computers. A a side note, be careful when trying to manipulate the forces of nature. I'll let Randall Munroe explain...

[AGELIMIT]ages 13 and over due to the depiction of blood and mutant Sporks[/AGELIMIT]
    Spoiler:

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • The dragon hears you and lunges at your mouth. Which is attached to your head. 5 dmg.

A homonculus is used to define an artificial human(Sorry for being a logic Nazi. XD).

It's "homunculus." :P

A a side note, be careful when trying to manipulate the forces of nature.

Oh, there's no manipulation involved. I'll simply build the thing and unleash it. Hopefully it won't decide to like tea and crumpets instead of senseless destruction, because that would be very anticlimactic.

Anyway, I've got a complete computer now, but when I turn it on it just beeps at me. So something isn't working. Need more parts...

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I pull out my crossbow and fire at its mouth.

It's "homunculus." :P
    I hate typos, especially when I'm the one doing them. XD

Oh, there's no manipulation involved. I'll simply build the thing and unleash it. Hopefully it won't decide to like tea and crumpets instead of senseless destruction, because that would be very anticlimactic.
    I sure hope not, because it would seriously destroy the computer to have tea poured down its system. XD

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • New bolded topic, and its randomness can be attributed to my lack of sleep.

Your fic character(s) have just been Rick Rolled. How do they react?
    Being the fan of 80's music that she is, Lisa would sing along and dance. It would only be after the video that she would reflect on how she had been out-witted. Then things could turn ugly, depending on her mood...

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013

Casey would be staring at the screen like "What just happened?". The joke would fly right over his head.

Rotom would dance to the music.

Caro would laugh and forward the e-mail/link to everyone he can think of.

Sheridan would facepalm and close the window.

Giratina would laugh very hard and nail Zero.

Zero would react similarly to Casey.

Haz

Haz ya seen my hack?
    Years
  • Been a while since I've been here :P

Shayla would laugh and forward it on to everyone she knows including her siblings.

Jasper would be like "Huh?"

Alice would get the joke and delete the email with the link from Shayla before she could get Rick Rolled.

Emmett would reacte similarly to Shayla.

Rosalie would get pissed off.

Edward would be slightly amused and send the link to Shayla.

Bella would probably laugh at it for a while before deleting the link.

Yeah, I'm writing a Twilight fic :P

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020

Neo Past: Ignores it
    Neo Future: Takes an axe
    Sarina: Clicks on another link
    Apollo: Finds errors in the video
    Erif: Dances continuously, making the video get 100000 views per day
    Exis: What is this thing called a computer?
    Dark Neo: MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH

Yeah, that's most of the main characters.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Your fic character(s) have just been Rick Rolled. How do they react?

Phaiel: Depends on the situation. If he was looking forward to a file, he'd get angry. If not, he couldn't care less.

Kana: Laugh loudly and forward it to Phaiel to see how he'd react.

Sebastian: Create his own video featuring a compendium of unnaturally disturbing gifs with Rick Astley's Never Gonna Give You Up playing in the background, send it to the sender and ten other people with the note,
    "Send to 10 other people within 5 days or else, you'll be next..."

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I have concluded that Tasmania is very green, full of buskers and does not particularly like the free internet concept in certain hotels. -_-

Hmm... Wes may either get annoyed or just quickly ignore it, depending on the situation, I suppose. Rui may gt confused, and not know about it in the first plac, even... if she did know she might also get annoyed, but not majorly. Espeon would act on it, to the rick roller's demise, Umbreon would go along with it happily, Makuhita would punch the rick roller, Croconaw would ignore it or make a remark about how sad it was rick roll was still being used, Johnson WOULD be oblivious, and I can't be bothered with the other characters.

Oh, and Miror B would proceed to dance and sing along.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • The dragon swats the arrow away and charges. Suddenly, however, it disappears.

[AGELIMIT]those not opposed to ridiculous amounts of (very fake) gore.
    Spoiler:
    [/AGELIMIT]

In other news, I somehow managed to delete a fair portion of my most recent chapter of the Eon Chronicles. As if I don't write slow enough.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back