• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Faint? No catch sir.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
How many times have you been trying to catch a pokemon, but faint it accidentally and illogically enough can't catch it anymore?
This is like a robber tries to take your money, but when he knocks you unconscious he can't take your wallet somehow?!
Or you actually kill the pokemon and not just faint it. Either way I say change this madness.

Sirfetch’d

While it will never make sense, it has to be that way or the game would be ridiculosly easy.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
I would argue that it goes with the idea that the Pokemon isn't fighting you because it doesn't want to be captured, but it's fighting you to determine your abilities to see if it wants to join you. If you can't control yourself to the point that you knock it out, honor in Pokemon would say that you shouldn't catch that Pokemon, since you didn't gain its consent to be caught while fighting. That's how I see it anyway.

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
Years
I am personally aggravated about one specific thing in Pokemon Crystal, and it relates to this completely. Every time I see something I want to catch, I for some reason have twice the likelihood to land a critical hit and faint the thing when I want it to have red HP. Why is it that the critical hits always seem to occur then I LEAST want them to?

Apart from that gripe, however, I'm fine with a challenge, especially in regards to catching Pokemon. Soft resetting is always okay against boss Pokemon (legendaries, Sudowoodo, etc.) because there's only one of them and it takes skill and a little luck. Always good to have another chance, and sometimes it pays off like with my Adamant Kyurem in White. If I battled ubers competitively it would have been wonderful to catch the right one like I did xD

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2017
I would argue that it goes with the idea that the Pokemon isn't fighting you because it doesn't want to be captured, but it's fighting you to determine your abilities to see if it wants to join you. If you can't control yourself to the point that you knock it out, honor in Pokemon would say that you shouldn't catch that Pokemon, since you didn't gain its consent to be caught while fighting. That's how I see it anyway.
Even so, you have to make stuff up. If this is the case, then it should be shown that the pokemon left or got away. Not that it fainted.

While it will never make sense, it has to be that way or the game would be ridiculosly easy.
It would make sense and the capture harder, if the pokemon just ran away at some point.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Even so, you have to make stuff up. If this is the case, then it should be shown that the pokemon left or got away. Not that it fainted.

It would make sense and the capture harder, if the pokemon just ran away at some point.

Some Pokemon do run away. I'm not saying that. I'm saying that as a matter of honor, a good trainer would know that if they caught a Pokemon while it was unconscious the Pokemon would hate them and never obey them and they need to win the Pokemon over first. So when it's fainted, it isn't running but the trainer as a good trainer won't try to capture it.

Blue Emerald

One of life's great mysteries
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Feb 15, 2022
I always thought it was simply because the Poke Ball could only recognize creatures that were conscious and capable of thought and movement, probably as a failsafe so some Trainer doesn't try to waste a Poke Ball on something that's already dead. So, if they knock it out, the Trainer has to leave it alone, because there's no way their Poke Balls will work on it at that time.

But then, you might ask, what about when your Pokemon faints in battle? How does the Poke Ball recognize it then, if it's got this failsafe mechanism inside it? Well, keep in mind that every Pokemon is tied to the Poke Ball they were caught in, which means their exact cellular structure is somehow kept safely in memory somewhere in the ball, which is how they're able to be reliably sent out and called back without fail. So, once a Poke Ball has successfully captured a conscious Pokemon and saved it to memory, the Poke Ball is able to recognize that exact Pokemon when it's nearby, so you can call it back with no problem, no matter what condition it's in!

Go ahead, ask me anything about Poke Balls; I'll have a good answer for it. =P

Last edited:
Back