• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Sooo.... is Mewtwo evil or not? (anime, games and unrelated games spoilers.)

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Someone said that Mewtwo is evil because he tried to wipe out humanity in the First Movie, tried to blow up the Pokemon Stadium, and caused Unnatural stuff in Mystery Dungeon, as well as being with Giga Bowser and Ganondorf in event 51 of SSBM. He also says that he is a final boss and all final bosses are evil (And I thought "by that logic, then Sonic is evil since he is the final boss of dark story, pure evil story, evil ending, slightly evil, evil ending, and pure hero, evil ending in SA2B and ShTH respectfully.").

But I sincerely doubt that Mewtwo is evil. Since
    A. the SSBM game is not canon,
    B. Jesse's Ekans and James's Koffing (not to mention the Official Pokemon Handbook by Maria S. Barbo.) explicitly said that there is no such thing as an evil Pokemon with the exception of Team Rockets Meowth, and even then that is only one out of several hundred Meowths out of 493 species of Pokemon.
    C. the Canonicity of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is debatable,
    D. I am pretty sure that Mewtwo saw you worthy to fight him and allowed you to fight him, not to blow up the Stadium.
    E. And the only reason he wanted to destroy the Humans is because his experiences with humans were downright terrible, leading him to believe that all Humans were evil thanks to those jerk scientists who created him and the entirety of the Team Rocket Army/Empire. And in the original (From what I heard) he is conflicted on whether he was born by god or by man, and also spiritually conflicted and not a power hungry megalomaniac that 4kids made him out to be.

Also, this someone thinks that Mewtwo doesn't count as a Pokemon since he is a deformed clone of Mew (no offense), but I think he is a Pokemon since the Pokedex says so (at least in the Games and the Official Handbook.). Also, since when has he appeared in Pokemon Chronicles (And no, I don't count "Mewtwo Returns as part of Chronicles since that episode was made/came out long before Pokemon Chronicles was even shipped to the States. Let alone made. I also don't count Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon as part of Chronicles since that special's dubbing rights are owned by PUSA, not 4kids since even as we speak they are possibly still dubbing Pokemon Chronicles.). Also, I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum, but since my thread has to do with both the Games (both related and unrelated) and the Anime I thought this was the perfect place to put it.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
  • No, he's more of an anti-hero, he really gave the message that he was a good guy at the end of Mewtwo returns, but it is debatable of the fact that he is a real good guy...

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Ok, thanks guys on your responses. I thought that Mewtwo can't be evil, but, at least he isn't evil. Sure he may not be exactly good, but at least he isn't evil. Oh and by the way, a new member on this website is coming to this topic. His name is CERBY9 and he is the same guy who told me that Mewtwo is evil and all that. Oh and sorry if I necroposted.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    mewtwo is most likely like any evil character: evil people don't know they're doing bad things, they think they're doing what's right... that or he's out for revenge

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • I don't think Mewtwo's evil.. I'm basing this from the movie.. I think he's really just cloning Pokemon because he thought he was trying to salvage them from trainers (and he thinks that all trainers are evil).. Either ways, I think he has a kind intention.. Moreover, looking at Mewtwo Returns (the second movie), I think he's nice =)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    yea that's what i mean miyo, mewtwo has these supposedly good intentions but no-one else sees it as such and so on so forth, etc...

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • yup.. well, I suppose it's common people see the bad points of others more than they do to the good points.. =/

Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2006
    He helped Red fight against Giovanni & Deoxys in Pokemon special so he can't be that bad. I think he's more of an anti-hero than anything else

Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2012
    No Ash and Red are two completely different characters even if they look the same and it was Red that Gama85 was talking about, not Ash

On topic: Mewtwo is just confused like Sephiroth from FFVII

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • I always thought Ash and Red were the same person.. I thought they were only different because Red is from the game, and Ash is from the show.. o.o

Drifblim

Banned
    Years
  • I'd count them the same in role but not in corpus.

To me Mewtwo is not necessarily a villain, but more of the tragic hero such as Brutus in Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. For one thing, he wanted to insure what he thought was best for Pokémon by exterminating the human race, and if he thought humans were beneficial he wouldn't have laid a finger on them. As such, once he realised that only Team Rocket were evil as to instil in him that belief, he went after them and was damaged in the end.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • There is no doubt that Mewtwo is noble and meant best for all Pokemon.. his intentions were good to begin with..

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2017
    He didn't cause any "unnatural stuff" in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon...

Going back to the topic-- I think he's neither evil nor good. He's done evil things as well as good things so I'm in between.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • He didn't cause any "unnatural stuff" in Pokemon Mystery Dungeon...

Going back to the topic-- I think he's neither evil nor good. He's done evil things as well as good things so I'm in between.

I don't think he's evil at all!! What are the evil things has he done? If you were referring to Movie one where he captured the Pokemon and cloned them, he was really trying to salvage Pokemon from human trainers, thinking that all human trainers are evil.. He really just meant the good of the POkemon.. xD

Back