• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Which Gen had the worst starters?

Which Gen had the worst starters?

• Total voters

✯Shigeru✯

I Dropped The Lift Key...
Years
Only in gen 5 have I been forced to continue using a starter. I guess they were a lot more useful to me in the original Black and White when the Pokemon I had to choose from were limited. Since BW2 has Pokemon like Arcanine,Starmie and Roserade, I rarely find a need to keep using my starter. So yeah, the gen 5 starters are by far my least favorite.

Years
I didn't like gen III starters at all, of course I've used them in the late parts of the game, but still their designs weren't that really good for me. And I don't want to start on gen 5, those were just necessary to pick up, but not really useful to play with later.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
Years
Generation V's starters never did much for me. None of their designs are very memorable or impressive to me, just like most of Gen V, haha.

kosuke

Extraterrestrial DNA
Years
Generation V starters are my least favorites. Simply because their designs are not good.
I really don't know the other criteria you are considering, but yeah...I still don't like them.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
Its a tough one, this.
Battle-wise, I'd actually say Gen II. Maybe they were good then, but in the re-makes...Feraligatr is a beast, Typhlosion can barely utilise its' special attack stat without breeding a new one with Extrasensory, and Meganium...well, it's decent defences are cancelled out by five weaknesses (All fairly common in Johto/Kanto too) and a relatively low hp stat for a stage 3 defensive pokémon (compared to say Swampert, Torterra).

Design wise, definitely Gen V. They're not bad...although its' typings a bit of a repetition of Gen III/IV Emboar looks bad-ass, same goes for Samurott (And pure water is nice after two gens of two-type), but Serperior is awful design-wise, as is Oshawott's evolved form and Tepig's (can't even remember their names lol). Oshawott itself is trying too hard to be cute.

Years
  • Seen May 27, 2014
I'll go for Gen V. They are just ok but..
They do not scream 'HEY I'M SO HELLFREAKINGAWESOME' like the other ones so. XD And I'm not a big fan of their final evolutions.
But yes, they are all so awesome. ^^

C Payne

Hoenn in 3D!
Years
  • Va
  • Seen Aug 23, 2014
Nostalgia aside, I don't really care as much for Gen II's starters, mainly because of the designs. Maybe it's just me but they look really plain compared to the other sets.

Sandshrew4

Also known as Sandwich
Years
Generation I: I really liked all of them. The designs were cool, though squirtle and wartortle weren't very different.
Generation II: I really liked Cyndaquil, and the whole Totodile chain. Bayleef was ok, but Chikorita and Meganium? Nuh-uh.
Generation III: Besides Marshtomop, I really liked all of them.
Generation IV: I didn't care for Piplup, but I actually liked all the others.
Generation V: Yah no. When I first saw them, the first thoughts that came to mind were model, pig with a diaper, and clown. I dunno, Tepig was ok, but Pignite I really didn't like. Emboar was ok I guess, but all the others, nope.
I dunno, they didn't really appeal to me.
At all.

Years
  • Seen Apr 1, 2020
Johto had the worst, followed by Unova.

I liked Sinnoh and Hoenn the most. And Bulbasaur, individually.

Grif of Hearts

Que sera sera~
Years
Nostalgia aside, I don't really care as much for Gen II's starters, mainly because of the designs. Maybe it's just me but they look really plain compared to the other sets.

This sums up my vote, actually. While I don't dislike any of the starters from any generation, I found that the second generation just lacks the excitement of the others. Chikorita is probably my favourite of the group, and it still doesn't do an awful lot for me. The designs are a little bland compared to the others.

It's something I've realised with generation II in general, now that I think about it. It doesn't excite me quite as much as the others.

Firox

eepz, come help pwease!
Years
Up to now I wish I could change my old vote. With the pass of time, and learning about different Pokemon, liking the water and fire type starters in Johto, still don't like Chikorita's desing.

For now my worst generation starters (where I only sort of like 1 Pokemon of the 9 possible - including all the evolutions) are the 1st Generation (Kanto - only like Wartortle the most).

Favorite to least favorite:
• 5th Generation - I like all 9 of them, 3 starters and their evolutions too
• 2nd Generation - only like 6 of the 9 Pokemon
• 3rd Generation - only like 6 of the Pokemon
• 4th Generation - only like 2 of the 9 Pokemon
• 1st Generation - only like 1 of the 9 Pokemon

Last edited:

Demon.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Years
  • Seen Jun 20, 2018
Sinnoh. Easy. Unova is an easy second.

Didnt know there was so much hate for Johto.

Romaov

Orra
Years
  • Seen Oct 7, 2016
I know it`s not a choice but I don't really like any of the 6th gen starters so far.

-Oops

um no
Years
  • Seen Oct 27, 2013
I don't really like Gen 2 & 3. I just don't like how the starters look like. For example Chikorita. Just nope.

Years
  • Seen Jun 13, 2013
Based on design, 4th gen is the worst.
I've always relied on my starters. Not too sure about gameplay-wise.

WHY DONT PEOPLE LIKE CHIKORITA?!?!?! I LOVE HIM WITH ALL MY HEART

PiemanFiddy

Dark-Type Gym Leader
Years
I'm ashamed to see Gen. 3 isn't as bad as it should be.

Don't get me wrong, Treecko is awesome, but Mudkip? Ew. No. Torchic? Pfft. No. Here's Why:

Mudkip: Turned into an internet meme, and has generated more hype than Charmander in Gen. 1

Torchic: The first introduction of a fire/fighting type starter, which I only presume lead nintendo into spamming the fire/fighting starter types we know today in Gen. 4 and 5. Highly annoying that they can't just think of something original.

Gen. 3.. amazing storyline, amazing music. Horrible starters. When the remake comes out, I'm either going with Treecko or just going with a no-starter team.

Back