• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: You've been quoted!

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
I think I might've seen this suggested a while back, but I don't really remember.

When you are in certain threads, it would be nice to know when people reply to you, etc, or reference to you when the quote you. People do it quite often, so yeah. I could subscribe to thread, but I don't want to be updated about every single post, just ones that pertain to me.

I hope I made sense. :3

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 28, 2019
I don't really see a point in that. You can always look back on the thread if you want to see if someone replied, it doesn't take that much effort to do so.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
That would spam up notifications/email boxes. I see no point in doing that. Just check the thread yourself with the search option.

Honest

Hi!
Years
XD, I made the same exact thread with the same exact thread title a while back

I'll point out the pros and cons of that idea:

Pros: Obviously all that you've mentioned, and in my opinion, I'd actually want it.

BUT, there cons to you idea as well. I think I remember in the old thread someone said that it'd be hell to include that feature. It'd put PC in downtime or something, I think. Also, people who constantly post in threads that constantly get quoted would have a hell of a lot of notifications when they log in. Though I guess that could be resolved with an option in User CP to turn that off.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
I don't really think that it would spam up emails/notifcations. I mean, unless everyone is quoting your post, then.. you shouldn't get that many.

Oh, and you know, typically, if anyone was quoting me, I would in turn respond back to them. There would honestly be few situations where I wouldn't

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 4, 2013
i'd actually kinda like this idea >o> i don't really see being quoted as such a common occurence that notifications for it would spam up your inbox n stuff. checking threads you've posted in shouldn't be much trouble, but for more active threads i think it'd be convenient.

implementation is another story though :0

Melody

Banned
Years
Well not only would it spam up notifications, but it'd put an extra load on the database that we don't need, and it'd require edits to the forum software code that may not be supported. Personally I don't see any good coming from quoting notifications. (Mainly because I think that'll just bring more chances for tl;dr flames to erupt.)

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
There's a plug-in for this. I remember it being suggested before and I was in favour of it but it was shot down for reasons I can't remember.

Personally I don't see any good coming from quoting notifications. (Mainly because I think that'll just bring more chances for tl;dr flames to erupt.)

I don't understand this logic at all. People being told they've been quoted results in fights breaking out?

Last edited:

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
Years
  • Seen Sep 25, 2020
Implementing it might be difficult, and could be the reason that this will not become a feature, but that doesn't have to be the downfall of it yet.(at least not until we get shot down by Audy or something..)

As Rekky said, I don't see how this will lead to flame wars. People are quoted now and we don't have people going, "OMG YOU QUOTED, I HATE YOU!!!11!" [/fail joke]

The people who are worried about it clogging up notifications, you could just turn it off or something?

Circuit

[cd=font-weight: bold; font-style: italic; backgro
Years
I quite like this idea. Of course, it would slow down the database, which is quite a big idea, but for those who think it would clog up Notifications, well, as has been said, maybe you could turn it on/off from User CP. I would like it, since being quoted is quite rare, but how would this lead to flame wars exactly?

I do not, however see this idea being plausible (contradicting everything I just said). It would slow the database down too much for this idea to become a reality, but it is a nice idea, and I would be in favor of it if it were to actually happen.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
I think it's a good idea, especially on a site as large and active as this, but I think the main reason against it would be the load it could put on the server(s). There are already a number of nice things we no longer have because of, I think, the increasing userbase here; say this place became much less active in the future, those features would probably be re-implemented before the quote thing is considered.

My own solution is, since my browser is set to remember what was open when I close it, to keep tabs open of threads I post in. Hope that helps anyone else.

Years
I think it'd be useful. :] Also being able to @tag like on Facebook would be really cool too. Definitely something we've thought of in the past.

Unfortunately the concerns about database strain are the biggest problem. :/ The forums barely load half the time as it is, lol. 8|

Alternatively, you can just add an automated query to bring up the user's quote through the standard search. That way it's only on-demand and you can just add a search time limit if people refreshing the page becomes an issue.

I've seen another forum implement this by linking to 3 custom searches (My Posts, My Threads, My Quotes) under where the notifications link is on the right of the menu panel. If you want to talk to the admin of that forum, I can arrange that.

Melody

Banned
Years
I could see a custom search being easier to implement than a plugin that notifies. Maybe one like the page that lists all the post comments you've ever had.

Still the database might be a concern so I don't see any guarantee of this happening.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
Implementing it might be difficult, and could be the reason that this will not become a feature, but that doesn't have to be the downfall of it yet.(at least not until we get shot down by Audy or something..)

As Rekky said, I don't see how this will lead to flame wars. [S-HIGHLIGHT]People are quoted now and we don't have people going, "OMG YOU QUOTED, I HATE YOU!!!11!"[/S-HIGHLIGHT] [/fail joke]

The people who are worried about it clogging up notifications, you could just turn it off or something?

Uh-oh...please don't hate me, Narcissus Secret! *hides*

Not a fail joke though, I LOL'd! :cer_laugh: I bet there is an actual user out there somewhere on the Internet who just hates being quoted, though. Quote me on this. [/realfailjoke]

I could see a custom search being easier to implement than a plugin that notifies. Maybe one like the page that lists all the post comments you've ever had.

Still the database might be a concern so I don't see any guarantee of this happening.

That seems like a great idea, though, and I'd actually like this feature - seeing what post quoted my post and examining the context in which it was used. Add in a little alternate option in the "Advanced Search" that lets the user finds posts that incorporate his/her own posts as quotes... IMO, it would seem to work better than notifications.
Database strain is a factor I'm worried about though. Plus, we could just go searching through thread pages though. (But that becomes a bit problematic when dealing with threads with 30+ pages, though... Possible with threads that are like 5-10 pages long, but impractical in threads spanning tens, hundreds or thousands of pages. I've gone through 30+ pages for some threads [not for checking whether I've been quoting, though, just to read posts responding to the thread] on occasion for a few threads when browsing and trust me - it is not fun. :()

Stellar

Minior used Cosmic Power!
Years
I really like this idea. Call me lazy, but I find it a pain to look through my recent posts and revisit old threads just to see if someone acknowledged my post. And my memory is crap, so it's not like I'd remember where I posted anyway.

EDIT: If there is a plugin for it, then wouldn't there be a way to turn it off in your CP? Just so those that want it could have it, and those that don't could get rid of it.

Last edited:

Platinum Lucario

The Legendary Master of [color=#D8D48C]Light[/colo
Years
I think I might've seen this suggested a while back, but I don't really remember.

When you are in certain threads, it would be nice to know when people reply to you, etc, or reference to you when the quote you. People do it quite often, so yeah. I could subscribe to thread, but I don't want to be updated about every single post, just ones that pertain to me.

I hope I made sense. :3

I see what you mean about getting updated only from the posts that are quoted from your post. If a feature like that gets implemented, then it could come in handy I guess. And prahaps having a button in the User CP where you can turn it off and such... like what Inkpuddle said.

But then again... it is the Admins' decission, so they will decide to either accept or reject this idea.

Years
I don't see the point of all the fuss about turning it on and off if it's just done on demand. If you don't want to know, you're not bothered. It's also not a constant or common thing, so it wouldn't be too stressful on the database, either.

Why is the database so flaky, anyway? Is that a vB issue, forum age issue, server issue, forum size issue?

mervyn797

What? I'm right here. >D
Years
  • Seen Nov 28, 2011
I actually want something like this. Yeah, it's true that this was suggested a while back, but it wasn't implemented.
It would be definitely useful, I vouch for it. XD;

I don't really see a point in that. You can always look back on the thread if you want to see if someone replied, it doesn't take that much effort to do so.
And what if you post in 20 different threads in a day and don't remember which ones you posted in? Why 20, even trying to look back in a few different threads is a tedious job X_X

Back