• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

One-Shot, Yea or Nay?

Alana

I still love this world...
Years
Ok, I have done something I've never done before. I've written something and now I don't know whether to let it stay as is and make it into a one-shot or continue it into a story. Although it could easily be longer, it's also perfectly fine as a one-shot. (In my opinion at least, sort of.) Due the fact that posting it would seem kind of silly, I'll just PM it to anyone who wants to lend me some advice. It's a sequel to Mystery Dungeon that's been bothering me for a while and when an idea like that starts nagging me I know it'll eventually be typed up. If I don't type it up it bothers me for ages before eventually fading away and then I regret not typing it up because I really want to. It's how most of my fics end up getting started. ^^;

So...yeah, got a bit off topic there I think. My request, someone please look over it and tell me if making it a one-shot would be ok or if it needs to be continued.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
Years
Eh, an essential part of style is avoiding redundant length. If you think you've got it compressed nicely enough to make a one-shot then by all means do so. =D If you change your mind later on and want to continue you can always make a chaptered fanfic that refers to (and briefly recounts the key points of) the one-shot and it will work just as well. I don't know what could be silly about posting it (The silly thing would be not to, really) but by all means, PM the fic to me and I'll see what I can do. That is, if my advice is good enough for ya'. ^^

SBaby

Dungeon Master
Years
  • Seen Apr 9, 2015
It's really up to you, but as the old saying goes, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it'. Don't artificially inflate your Fic if it works better as a one-shot.

BUT... Using that one-shot as a single idea for an even larger Fic sometimes works.

Back