• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The predetermined luck factor.

Years
Insanity is repeating the same thing but expecting different results.

So I do not mean the following scenario so much (but feel free to discuss this aspect if you wish to do so).

Our young old but highly ambitious Overlord was taking a stroll on the street. Suddenly a piano fell from a large building, unbeknownst to the Dark Lord. Said object smashed the pavement mere centimetres away from Drakow. That was lucky . . .

By predetermined I mean that people are already aware that it exists. Take pretty much any card game for example (for the duration of this thread, I will be sticking to gaming examples, though feel free to refer to any other examples you wish to use). Due to the nature of randomisation of the deck of cards, the luck factor is introduced. All players should be aware of this fact. This factor has the capability of giving any player an advantage / disadvantage over other players depending on the cards drawn.

What is your stance on the predetermined luck factor and why?

The following questions might aid in shaping your answer.

-Do you think it's fair that a factor beyond the control of any player can influence the outcome of a game?
-Do you believe the luck factor generally takes a significant chunk away from the skill factor in game play?
-Does the nature of the luck factor make a game more interesting / exciting for you?
-Do you have a preference towards games with a luck factor or games without it (Chess is a good example here)?

Bonus question - What do you think of the phrase "I make my own luck"?

droomph

weeb
Years
herp definitely not going to scroll up and down :P

-Do you think it's fair that a factor beyond the control of any player can influence the outcome of a game?
It's not fair at all :c but that's what makes a game cool! I mean, it makes the game fun. Having fun means having a conflict, and if somebody is unfairly advantaged, that makes a conflict, and that's fun!

-Do you believe the luck factor generally takes a significant chunk away from the skill factor in game play?
No, not at all! If anything, it makes it better pronounced, because the ones who get the raw end of the deal have to work extra hard, and it's not like the people who are lucky get it every. Single. Time.

-Do you have a preference towards games with a luck factor or games without it (Chess is a good example here)?
I don't care really, but if you analyzed the games I liked, probably yeah.
Bonus question - What do you think of the phrase "I make my own luck"?
Too much pride. You don't make your own luck. The social surrounding does. "You" make donuts for a living.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
-Do you think it's fair that a factor beyond the control of any player can influence the outcome of a game?: It's kind of unfair to have luck overcome skill in a game because a lucky move may be the cause of a win.
-Do you believe the luck factor generally takes a significant chunk away from the skill factor in game play?: Yes, it does; relying on luck alone won't make you good at the game in the long run.
-Does the nature of the luck factor make a game more interesting / exciting for you?: Even though I mainly play with skill, a little luck can be a bit fun every once in a while.
-Do you have a preference towards games with a luck factor or games without it (Chess is a good example here)?: I don't have much of a preference to luck-based games.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I prefer games that rely on skill rather than luck. Flipping a coin, for example, is something I've never seen much point in as it relies almost purely on luck (unless you remove that yourself with a double-sided coin or have a special flipping technique that will draw the result you seek each time).

Games that involve rolling dice don't bother me so much as they usually still rely on strategy more than just the luck itself. a 50/50 split between luck and skill is even fine, but once luck takes more than 50%, the game seems pointless as it doesn't even depend on the people playing. It could just be any two people and the winner is already pre-determined.

Back