• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your favorite Rpg Game?

Years
  • Xbox 360: Tales of Vesperia, Fable 3. Where Vesperia really shines is the awesome anime type graphics as mentioned earlier by Mystical Mermaid, I think the game pulls it off really nice. Fable 3 shows off amazing an amazing battle system and having a open world environment really compliments it, and the realistic looking graphics (opposed to vesperia's anime type graphics) are pretty good too.

PC: Ragnarok, Star Wars: The Old Republic. The 2 games are entirely different yet they both fit into the RPG genre. Ragnarok is just awesome. YEP NUFF' SAID.
    Star Wars: The Old Republic is just a better version of WoW and is star war's themed, what else can you ask for!

Years
  • Gonna steal this format and add a bit to it-

Graphics:
    I'm not one to make a big deal out of graphics, but in this case, I'd have to say The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. This game just LOOKS good. I found myself just walking around and enjoying the scenery often while playing. Also, Tales of Xillia. I've not actually played this yet (and wont until 2013 ffffff), but I've seen bits of gameplay and the animated cutscenes, and...this game just looks gorgeous. Just...there's nothing else to say.

Story: DRAGON QUEST V. I love every single one of the Dragon Quest games, but out of the games in the series that I've played, there are only two that I've felt delivered a strong, emotional story- V and VIII. The reason I'm going with V is because, unlike VIII, V's story puts things on a much more personal level. As the hero grows older and so many different things happen in his life, the game does an excellent job of making it feel like all of these things are happening to YOU- not this guy with a turban and a staff, but YOU. There's also the fact that, for once, you aren't the 'legendary hero of prophecy who is destined to save the world'. Just...go play it.

Gameplay: Uuuuh. I...can't really say that I've played a game that's made me go nuts over it's gameplay, at least not in a good way. So I'll just move on.

Music: Every single game that Nobuo Uematsu, Shoji Meguro, or Yoko Shimomura has composed for (So mostly FF, Persona, and Kingdom Hearts).

Setting: The Fallout series. I've always been fascinated with the world the series portrays. It's something I can easily see happening to our world, and I've always found the variety of people to be highly realistic and...well, human.

Overall: YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHOOSE :I

Tetrakeet

Lilligant's Caretaker
    Years
  • I would choose the Star Ocean series because it had memorable characters and my favorite battle system ever made. I also like the sci fi/fantasy mix! The stories weren't great, I know, but I will always love the series more than any RPG out there.

xelarator

Gentlemen.
    Years
  • My favorite RPGs are Skyrim (arrow in the knee jokes never get old, plus I can do whatever I feel like doing), Borderlands (I'm PRETTY sure it's an RPG), and Maplestory (I used to play with my best friend, and I made many more friends along my way of becoming lvl 200).

Years
    • Seen Jul 29, 2014
    My favorite RPG game is Chrono Trigger. It's such a unique and exciting game in my opinion.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Infinite Space. It's a sort of TRPG. Even beyond the epic story and vast array of characters and ships, the game must be technically brilliant to fit into a DS cartridge. It does have its idiosyncracies, foremostly the deceptively simplistic battle system, but I evidently find those forgivable, even likeable after spending time with them. A lot of people apparently find the game difficult, but I only really got stumped for a while by the Zenito story-route because of Rubriko and his infinite supply of Absol​utas. I suppose IS's greatest feature is its uniqueness.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Probably Pokemon. lol Sorry for the bland answer. But it's also my favorite series and it's one of the only games I consider myself to be really good at. Mother 3 is right behind it though. Although I didn't play the previous two games in the series, the combo system in M3 makes me like it better anyway. And storywise, I would say it's better than anything in the Pokemon series. It's probably the best story in a game that I've played, period. Kingdom Hearts is also nice. Because you know, beating people with keys is oh so satisfying! Though I will say every RPG I own or have played are all addicting in their unique way.

Lt. Col. Fantastic

The Arianator
    Years
  • Final Fantasy Crisis Core, and IV.

Crisis Core is just awesome, I love Zack, Angeal, and Genisis. They made the VII series for me, as I never liked the cast of the original 7, bar Cid.

IV was my first FF, so theres always a lot of nostalgia there. Cecil is the man, and its always fun to play.

As far as newer RPGs go, Demons Souls/Dark Souls are simply the best, if you like the whole "decaying world" and "darkness everywhere" theme. I love how the scenery, npcs, and enemies tie in together. Between the ruins of the shrine of storms, the evil, decaying Great Swamp, Classic Castle Seiging of Boletaria, to the amazing architecture in Anor Londo, the game is just beautiful.

Saturated Hue

acrobatic effing pirouette.
    Years
  • I...think...Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2, because the plot was amazing and the gameplay moreso. The FF SRPGs (FFT, FFTA & FFTA2) are close runner-ups though.

Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2012
    I've love Pokemon and the Final Fantasy series! It's always so interesting how games evolve over time. I remember the first time I set my hands on my Gameboy Color and played Pokemon Yellow. I named my Pikachu "Ash" because I thought it was asking for the trainer's name -.-. Sad to say I gave my Gameboy Color to my 4 year old cousins... oh the nostalgia...

Recently though, I've been playing Geomon on the iPhone. It's just like Pokemon and uses location as a factor when you play the game. It's become probably one of my new favorite RPGs!

Danny Leo

The Best There Is!
    Years
  • God, it's hard to choose. I've played so many great ones xD.

But let me see, if I had to choose it would probably be Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. This game takes everything that made Paper Mario on the N64 great, and improves on it tenfold. The music is catchy, the dialogue is hilariously witty, and the story is unlike anything I've seen in any other Mario game.

A runner up would be Final Fantasy VI.

Years
    • Seen Aug 8, 2012
    Final fantasy game series. I have played all the episodes in this game series.

Ninetales1

Japan-flavoured Europhile
    Years
  • Mother 3 is right behind it though. Although I didn't play the previous two games in the series, the combo system in M3 makes me like it better anyway. And storywise, I would say it's better than anything in the Pokemon series. It's probably the best story in a game that I've played, period.

I was waiting for someone to mention this game! This is DEFINITELY my favourite RPG ever--in fact it's my favourite overall video game. Yes, it even beats Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI, which are both very good, don't get me wrong. Why? Well, it's mostly because the battle system. There's just something about turn meters I don't like, and the Square games are rampant with them. It kinda pressures me to hurry up in making battle decisions, which I don't like at all. Especially since it takes time to scroll through the techniques in Chrono Trigger, and to figure out all the complex battle options of FF6.

Mother 3, on the other hand, is practically flawless in my opinion. Okay, the only negative it might have is that its graphics are not fantastic, and it has this weird glitch where the music speeds up on the menu screens. But the gameplay is very smooth, and there was no point in the game where I was confused on what to do, unlike in many RPG's and Zelda games (which, by the way, are NOT RPG's--they're in the Action Adventure genre for the most part) that are out there. I really like straightforward plots, which this game definitely has. And it's not a boring plot either. Like Sydian said, it has a wonderful storyline. And some really interesting characters that actually have backstories. I really love the chapter system: the story is broken up into eight chapters, some with different characters, and one that is from the enemy's viewpoint.

Another thing I really like about Mother 3 is how much that game has improved as a sequel to Earthbound. There are lots of mechanistic things I can complain about in Earthbound: counter-intuitive controls (pressing L to talk to someone?!), healing being complicated and costing money, difficult-to-cure status problems, disgusting enemies (I'm looking at you, Master Belch), no easy way to run/dash, key items taking up space in the inventory, etc. They fixed ALL of that in Mother 3. Every single one of those things. And added some neat features like a Battle Memory (a Pokedex of sorts for enemies) and a sound test feature as well, and of course the battle combos that involve the tempo of the music. Without any loss of quality from the more appealing aspects of Earthbound either (except a more compact overworld). The characters and enemies were both more interesting, healing is MUCH easier... I could go on.

In fact, the improvement thing can also apply to Pokemon Black/White as well, easily my favourite Pokemon game so far (I have yet to play the sequel). I LOVE how they gave those games a much better storyline than the previous games (which were quite lackluster in my opinion). N is actually a really interesting character for once. I like how the rivals are more than petty jerks, and how there are two of them. I like how they improved on mechanistic annoyances like TM's being used only once, the low-health beep being turned into a music piece, and poison not causing damage while walking. And as with Mother 3, they greatly improved on the music as well. Though Heart Gold and Soul Silver had some really good music too.

I haven't really played a lot of the 3D RPG's, so I can't really say much about them yet. I'm really looking forward to playing Persona 3, Eternal Sonata, and one of the Kingdom Hearts games, as soon as I get the right consoles (I only have Nintendo consoles).

Last edited:

TornZero

Resident Yuri-ism Cult Leader
    Years
  • Graphics: Said a few times before, Eternal Sonata's going to win this one. Journey and Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne both make close seconds to me, and the latter could actually only be considered average for its available technology. For Journey and Nocturne, it's the placement and atmosphere that gets me, but Eternal Sonata takes the cake in every graphical aspect.

Story: Nocturne wins out here... sort of. Not only does it have six completely different endings that are so delicately shifted across the entirety of the game, but the characters are insanely awesome. Every character you meet, including yourself as the silent yet BA protagonist, is influenced by and influences the Vortex World an amazing degree, and it's just wonderful seeing every point of the Reasons you have to face as you play.

Now, when I say "sort of", I mean it's a REALLY close fight with Persona 3 FES and Persona 4, and I'm still unable to rule them out. The ending of P3FES actually left me crying a little, and all three endings to Persona 4 affected me similarly (though mostly the Bad and True endings). It's very difficult to detail anything about their in-depth stories, though, without leaving spoilers. The characters, as well, who are extremely easy to relate with, to some degree (though that's mostly in Persona 4, where the characters -- even the villains -- were noticeably fleshed out better).

Music: This is going across all of the Shin Megami Tensei series, namely every track made by Shoji Meguro for the series. Anyone who knows of his work may very well agree with me in terms of RPGs.

Multiplayer: This one goes to Journey for the PS3. It's amazing how players can drop in and out of each other's games so naturally and communication becomes nearly instantaneous through nothing more than chirp patterns; and if you ask around you'd be stunned to find how many people initially thought the Companions they met were actually just a really clever AI.

Overall: The Shin Megami Tensei series; I can't even decide between Nocturne (part of the main series), and the Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor and Persona spin-offs. All of them, so awesome!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 10, 2012
    I love playing action RPG games. Blue Dragon, Fable 2, Lost Odyssey, Infinite Undiscovery and Mass Effect are my favorite RPG games of all time.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Golden Sun.
    Not just the first game, but a series as a whole.
    It opened my eyes to RPG's as well.

Just, gah!! GOLDEN SUN!! YEEAH >W<

WillPowerPedro

https://soundcloud.com/cammdavidson
    Years
    • Age 23
    • Seen Jan 9, 2022
    My god this is hard.

If you mean all RPGs game genres like FPS RPG and such, I would choose Borderlands or Fallout. If you mean the traditional RPG like Pokemon, I would pick Dragon Quest.

Back