• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[R/S] Different Palettes for Front and Back Sprites and other good stuff!

xGGxToiZ

>.//:SO HOT:\\.<
Years
  • Intro:
    Hi there! Have you ever noticed that when you edit the front sprite of the hero in R/S its palette must be the same with its back sprite?

For me, it's quite annoying, so I've come up with my own method of having separate palettes for both front and back sprites of the heroes!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    WARNING! Always have a backup of your ROM when doing something like this!

Okay, you'll need:
    Spoiler:

STEP 1: Replacing the front.
    Spoiler:

STEP 2: Getting the Pallete of your backsprite.

Spoiler:

STEP 3: Get the Back Sprite's Palette data in HEX!
    Spoiler:

STEP 4: Inserting the Back sprite + custom palette.
    Spoiler:

We're almost done!

STEP 5: Correcting the Palette in RS BALL.
    Spoiler:

Now, for the easy part, testing it in-game!
    Here, it works!:

4697988939_97ef7c06ef.jpg

Front Sprite is fine!
    In the battle field:

4698623808_25fcd18180_b.jpg

Whoa! It worked, too!

For May's sprite, do the same steps but use these numbers:
    Pic: 1295*, pal 1042*.

* May vary depending on the ROM.

There could be other ways to do it but this is how I "roll". :p
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OTHER GOOD STUFF!
    How to successfully edit FR's(idk about LG) BATTLE TEXT BOX!

Intro:
    Have you ever tried to edit the battle text box before? But in Unlz it replaces about 6-10 pointers and destroys your game?

Well, I'm here to help!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    First of all, you must know what pointers are being changed when Unlz-gba does it automatically for the FIRST TIME.
    Here are the offsets: (FR US v1.0)
    Code:
    [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=Black][SIZE=2]0x1052           0x4719C
    0x1066           0x505B8
    0x121A           0x238192
    0x13EE
    0x1452
    0xF454
    0xFCF8[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

Okay, let's do this then.

STEP 1: Replacing the text box itself.
    Spoiler:

STEP 2: Fixing the changed pointers MANUALLY.
    Spoiler:

Now test it in-game, it should like this:
    4699326676_155eb6c1c5_m.jpg

After some palette editing:
    4699326702_e634648bbc_m.jpg

Not bad, right?
    The image is not doctored at all! That's 100% pure UNLZ edit!

I have some secret stuff about the two pink colors in the text box palette.
    4699341520_793bfb74fc_m.jpg

Spoiler:

You have successfully edited FR's Battle Text Box! Enjoy! :)

This is also my first tutorial so I hope you liked it! :)
    Feel free to comment!

Last edited:

Sierraffinity

Desperately trying to retire from ROM hacking
    Years
  • Yeah, Un-LZ is just buggy like that. It doesn't even make a sanity check to see if the pointer's correct. (Ex. Seeing if the pointer is at an offset ending in 0, 4, 8, or C)

Why not, instead of doing all of those steps to fix the damaged "pointers", just uncheck the "Automatically fix pointers" box and repoint it manually?

xGGxToiZ

>.//:SO HOT:\\.<
    Years
  • Yeah, Un-LZ is just buggy like that. It doesn't even make a sanity check to see if the pointer's correct. (Ex. Seeing if the pointer is at an offset ending in 0, 4, 8, or C)

Why not, instead of doing all of those steps to fix the damaged "pointers", just uncheck the "Automatically fix pointers" box and repoint it manually?

Hmm.. I never thought of that. I usually hack Ruby and I just found this method by "accident", I was toying with my FR ROM. :)

I have a manner of making things quite tough. -_-"
    Yeah, I think that will be easier. Gotta edit that the next time. I still have homework to do. :(
    And yeah, Un-LZ is quite buggy. But that's what we've got for now so we have to live with it I guess.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2010
    Hahah Finally! I found the right place I have been looking for!1 This is what exactly i wanted to do with the animation. Can I save this thread? This will be my manual. And okay, I will provide another ROM as for back up. And what else do I need to do and buy? PLease, PLease response... I wanna do this.. Thanks in advance...

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2011
    Problem

Whenever I try to upload the sprite to the trainer back image, it accepts it, and changes the pallete for every other sprite that uses the same palette (appearently the front and back images before it and the back sprites after it) it acts like it was never changed, do you have any idea why?

Back