• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Magneton - a study on Gradients

Shuko

Atena, WIN!
Years
I posted a contest on another forum, and to the winner, I promised a custom portrait of any Pokemon/Trainer(s) of their choice. The winner of the contest chose a Magneton. And the only stipulation he gave me was that he wanted it turned slightly. :P So I decided I'd use the opportunity to learn a bit more about Flash. Guess what I learned? Gradients are my friends! And there's a reason why Alpha comes at the beginning of the alphabet, lol. As of right now, this piece isn't finished yet, but I'm so happy with how it's turning out, I have to show somebody. :D So here we go. What do you guys think so far? Keep in mind that I had no idea how to use gradients or alpha before I started this, and that this is my first time trying to draw anything 3D with Flash. >_< Please be gentle, but firm, lol.

*Work in Progress - 6/28/05*
Stage I

*Still in Progress (But MUCH more complete, lol) - 6/28/05*
Stage II

*Final Product -6/29/05*
My Finished Magneton

Last edited:

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
ooh very beautiful picture!!
i love the way you made the light hit the magneton :3
it looks very realistic!
and your lineart is very clean!!
:3 awesome art!
i cant wait to see it when it's done :3
~kura

Years
Thats coming along great Shuko! The shading is perfect and the circular light effects. I really like this and I hope it is finished soon so that I can comment on the fullness of the picture ^_^

Keep it up!

Iron Mankey

Gentleman Thug
Years
That is one awesome Magneton. As for the background, an abandoned factory or something would be cool. Y'know, low lighting, a few busted machines spitting sparks, maybe a caved-in roof with the moonlight slipping in a few weak rays with dust everywhere. That sorta thing.
PS. How/Where do you get Flash? How mauch is it?

Shuko

Atena, WIN!
Years
Iron Mankey said:
That is one awesome Magneton. As for the background, an abandoned factory or something would be cool. Y'know, low lighting, a few busted machines spitting sparks, maybe a caved-in roof with the moonlight slipping in a few weak rays with dust everywhere. That sorta thing.
PS. How/Where do you get Flash? How mauch is it?

-_-; The problem with a cool setup like that is that I have to remember that Magneton's a Steely-type, and stuff like that would prolly be reflected off his surface. I wanna get this right... I wanna blow this guy's socks off... and maybe make people a little angry with themselves for not entering my contest, lol. *Evil Grin* I only had three people enter! *Cries*

Maybe I should do an attack of some kind in the background... Like a big thunderbolt or Zap Cannon or something... I need to keep the lighting in mind, tho... Wait a minnit! I think I've got it! I could do a Zap cannon with the ball of 'lectricity as the light source! That could work, right? :x Now all I hafta do is figure out how the heck I'm going to draw a ball of electricity, lol.

*Edit: I bought Flash from an online software vendor. -_-; I actually bought Macromedia Studio MX 2004 - Flash MX 2004 is part of the suite. You REALLY don't want to know how much it costs... >_< Trust me.

Studio MX is *Cough$900Cough*, and I think Flash by itself is somewhere around *Coughcough$300CoughHack* Lol.

Last edited:

kohei

Pizzaman.
Years
Great Magneton! Amazing how you made this simple Pokemon look so real.
Shuko said:
I should do an attack of some kind in the background... Like a big thunderbolt or Zap Cannon or something... I need to keep the lighting in mind, tho... Wait a minnit! I think I've got it! I could do a Zap cannon with the ball of 'lectricity as the light source! That could work, right? :x Now all I hafta do is figure out how the heck I'm going to draw a ball of electricity, lol.
I guess this'll work, but I have no knowledge of Flash, so can't do anything here... Still, I'll like to see the finished version soon :)

PichuSecretBase

Web Site Critique
Years
The picture is really cool~ I like the shading on him. Usually gradients look bad when people use them but yours came out exceptionally great in the way you use them. I also like how their still is the gradient effect on the shadow of the magnets. Great piece.

kohei

Pizzaman.
Years
So you decided to not do Zap Cannon?
Still, the shadows look extremly realistic, so I think it came out great!

Nine

Kirby + Pineapples = Love
Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Jun 11, 2007
Very nice, the lighting is sexy.

Back