• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The first ever SoG thread!

Ionem

.biomechanic.
Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2005
    Be happy. My partner, Evega, is a member of lots of forums for game development, from GW to RMXP and probably everywhere in between. He was planning to make this post on RMXP.net today (because we need to ask there for someone to help with the scripting), but their forums are down.

So as of now, the Pok?Community is the only forum among many with the thread for this game. Yay.

Anyway...

Pok?mon: Shades of Gray

The game takes place forty years before Red and Blue (Green). That's right, before. You won't find any "omg dis gaem feetures 200 new pokemans!!" In fact, it will probably include less than 150.

That doesn't mean it will be bad. Our plan for this game is to really make it feel like a true solid pok?mon game on RMXP.

Planning has been intense. We have planned out all the areas on paper, including pok?mon appearance charts and ratios (and the levels). We've designed our gym leaders, what pok?mon they will have, what levels they will be, etc. This is all on paper, too.

We've begun mapping the actual game, as well. Our plan is to get every graphical aspect working before diving into the actual programming and events. That way we feel there will be a far lesser chance of the project being abandoned.

So far, we have mapped (the outside maps, no insides yet), eight of the ten cities. When all the cities are finished, we'll be doing the routes, then the sea routes, then the caves, and then the insides, and then finally we'll be adding in extra places.

THEN we will be implementing the pok?mon and the battle system (which, again, we hope to get help with from someone on RMXP.net).

Anyway, I'll post some screenshots for viewing pleasure. Note that the hero sprite is not final. The actual hero's sprite will be original. These are from the little area demo we've made for ourselves, of all the cities connected.

screen1.gif

This was taken in Amethyst Village. The hero's jumping off of one of those cliffs. We've gotten that little aspect of the game down perfectl. I did that part. ;)

screen2.gif

Just Crimson City, our region (Gakuen)'s answer to Celadon and Goldenrod.

screen3.gif

Cedar Villa, about to talk to an NPC.

Our goal is not to make the best Pok?mon RMXP fangame ever. It's to make one of the most solid, most loyal, and hopefully most memorable ones.

Prof Plum

Pokemon Professor
    Years
  • That's a good plan. I also planned my game, Pokemon Purple out a few months in advance, before I started to make it. This looks like it will be a very good game. Good luck on this project!

Peekimon

Me = cat-aholic, Meowr
    Years
  • Wow, this sounds nice. Good planning, indeed. And, I wish you good luck on completing this.

Raccoon

Pokeball Muncher
    Years
    • Seen May 21, 2010
    Sounds cool, nice screens, nice plans...
    Nice game.

Wishin' ya luck with completin' this!

- Raccoon

blueguy

No capitalization required. ;D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 20, 2013
    Looks very nice and thoroughly planned out, unlike some other threads... *cough* You look like you have been very conscientous in getting everything in order and ready before posting a mediocre thread with no substance. *claps* I really like your mapping. One point though... Crimson City's buildings don't suit its name - at all. I suggest changing either the name or the buildings. Perhaps since you're using Emerald Chips you should use the houses from Petalburg and Lavaridge. Then again... those look too common for an equivalent to Celadon... I'm rambling now... ... ... I also reccomend making a custom hero. They're really not too hard to do. Yay. Pixely goodness.

Yes...
    I'm done...
    N - n - n - no - no - now.

;)

Overall it looks to be a very nice game.

EDIT \\ After rereading your post I noticed you said the hero sprite was not final. Oops. My bad... ... yep... here I go again...

Ionem

.biomechanic.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2005
    I just made an animated banner for this.

I'm posting it mainly because it shows what the trainer's sprite will be. I admit it's basically just a recolor, but I like it, because it fits with the theme and doesn't strive to be too original.

sog.gif

Edit:

Photobucket likes to resize things. Here, my partner hosted it on his website.

sog.gif

http://www.epochalypsegames.com/images/sigs/sog.gif

Years
  • may i ask question?
    if this game is going to take place 40 years before R\G\B, so don't you think that the pokemart in the thrird screen looks too... futuristic?
    that's only my opinion

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2005
    forty years in the past...is that far enough to have Kabuto and Omanyte appearing as wild pokemon instead of just being fossils?

Years
  • Kaiser said:
    forty years in the past...is that far enough to have Kabuto and Omanyte appearing as wild pokemon instead of just being fossils?
    for this, it would had to have place million years before R\G\B O_O

Years
    • Seen Mar 8, 2009
    looks nice mate, id make your little custom hero but i stopped making sprites for the most part >.>

Ionem

.biomechanic.
    Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2005
    MatiZ Master said:
    may i ask question?
    if this game is going to take place 40 years before R\G\B, so don't you think that the pokemart in the thrird screen looks too... futuristic?
    that's only my opinion

That's a good point.

But I used my creative liscense to decide that shops and things actually look just like they do in FireFred/LeafGreen/Emerald.

Why? Because I don't want to spend all summer redoing the graphics. Lol.

You're right, though, but that sort of thing we're just going to have to deal with.

Let me tell you, though, that as of now there's not planned to be any pok?mon/item storage, because the game takes place in the past. At least not through computers. I'm thinking of having you meet a person who owns a farm and rents you space to store your non-party pok?mon, as a realistic alternative to the computer system (since Bill is only a baby in the game, and yes, you do meet him once, in a small NPC role in some random house somewhere. Figured it might be cute).

On that note, there aren't pok?balls as you know them, but the hollowed out apricorns that are talked about in Gold/Silver/Crystal. Cool, eh? You also make your own balls with the apricorns (I'm thinking of a minigame type thing where you push buttons). The practice ome obscure in recent times and only Kurt really remembers how, but back then it was commmonplace for trainers to do it themselves. How's that idea? Yes or no?

Sory, no. The fossils aren't even in the game. They haven't been discovered yet.

Years
  • Looks nice. Maybe you should put Kabutops and Omastar in the game because for a creature to be confirmed extinct. It must not be seen in a few decades. 4 will probaly enough. Maybe you put only one of themeach in the game... just saying.

EDIT: old style pokeballs were reavealed in the 4th pokemon movie.

Last edited:

Sorye HK

Looking around here and there
    Years
    • Seen Dec 1, 2021
    Are you going to be working on custom tiles?

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    Game looks nice...whats that place in the first pic?

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    Game looks nice...whats that place in the first pic?

Back