• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The thing about legendary pokemon...

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
Years
  • I agree with the game =/= anime part.. it's almost as if you have control over the game. Whereas in the anime, it's more 'realistic' (although Pokemon itself isn't a reality..).

Also, just another point I'd like to bring out.. what about Deoxys? It's also considered a legendary right? But it has more than one as well.

So I actually wanna say that I am still convinced that Ho-Oh is the only one I acknowledge as Legendary, even after reading the other posts. There's only one.. and it's location is really unknown (other than the skies).

The rest of the legendaries.. most of their locations are somehow known, so they can't be really labeled as legendary.. more like, rare than legendary.

Lugia: it can be found in the waters of shamouti islands; and in one of the advanced challenge episodes, the lugia that was caught with her child was very weak.. how could these be called legendary?

Mewtwo: It was CLONED. It was created by humans.. how could it be a legendary??

Mew: There were fossils of Mew. So I think they are ancient more than legendary.. Legendary pokemon don't leave behind fossils like to be cloned by humans right?

Lati@s: These two pokemon can be found in Altomare.. and there should be more according to the pokedex fact that they live in herds..

Celebi: I haven't got any evidence to prove that this isn't legendary.. the only thing that I deem it 'un-legendary' is because it was really weak in the movie.. legendary pokemon are supposedly gods.. how could it be caught just like that??

Bird trio: they live on the three islands near Shamouti.. and there's more than one of Articuno.. so, it'll come as no surprise if there were another of Moltres and Zapdos.

Dog trio: They roam the land, and like what Hanako Tabris had said, keeping an eye on the human race. They would have been more god-like if they had been sitting in the skies and watching over the human race from above.. but now, they can be seen by human ON LAND! To me, they are more like defenders of pokemon.

Rayquaza: it's not legendary because we know it exists. It's just that we don't always come across a Rayquaza because it lives in the Ozone layer.. fly a plane and infiltrate the ozone layer, and Rayquaza will come blasting you with attacks (like it did on Deoxys)

Deoxys: There's more than one of it..

That's just my opinion.. hmmm. I typed quite a lengthy bit huh. XD

Rioku_Zanketa

...::Ultimate Warrior::...
    Years
  • hmm..there could also be the fact that they are taling about a "certain"one

no matter..I see now....you guys are right...while making the stories,they messed up/forgot about other facts therefor,....these questions on wether they're ledgendary or not is still undecided,until they fix up the storyline...If they keep it the way it is,...then besides Ho-oh(even though I don't like it and think it's ugly,..)there are no Ledgendaries...

Mew: There were fossils of Mew. So I think they are ancient more than legendary.. Legendary pokemon don't leave behind fossils like to be cloned by humans right?
    what?!!!just because they never found fossils of othe "Ledgendaries,...doesn't mean there aren't any...just like our world,they don't know and fully understand 100% of it..and know al secrets...

As for the fact that Legendaries have been seen: The Legendary Beasts(Raikou, Entei, and Suicune) race across the land, keeping an eye on the human race. You don't honestly think that they would have been spotted once in the three hundred years they've been running?
    remember..they run at lightning speed....maybe they got lucky...just bbecause they don't have their own place or somethin,doesn't judge wether they're ledgendary....most likley the fact that they can keep up the running for 100 years probably makes them ledgendary...

Rayquaza: it's not legendary because we know it exists. It's just that we don't always come across a Rayquaza because it lives in the Ozone layer.. fly a plane and infiltrate the ozone layer, and Rayquaza will come blasting you with attacks (like it did on Deoxys)

uh,..we know all the others exist as well..what's your point?...

Mewtwo: It was CLONED. It was created by humans.. how could it be a legendary??

even so,he still is a poke'mon nevertheless.....as as the first movie stated "He is the strongest poke'mon on earth"......they said it themselves...

oh,and BTW,...you don't have to be "god-like"to be ledgendary.....it bascally means to do something great and almost impossible no other of your species has ever done before....let's say four soldiers stopped a quadrant of soldiers or something,and managed to live to tell the tale....that would make them ledgendary....catch my drift?..

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    The Legendary Beasts are Legendary in my eyes because:

a.) they were created by Ho-Oh and are the embodiment of elements

b.) they are one-of-a-kind because they were created by Ho-Oh

c.) because Nintendo says so. XD

There are Native American legends that explain how things were created. They mention coyotes. We know coyotes existed. Could they really put stars in the sky? No. But the Native Americans believed that they could, and accepted it as the truth. It's handed down by tradition, it was accepted as truth, thus it is a legend.

As for "defenders of Pokémon," most of the Legendaries saved a life somehow. Ho-Oh did. It's rumored that it saved Ash's life. Which means that if just defended creatures makes something not legendary, that means Ho-Oh isn't.

Location: The Beasts don't have a set location. They run across the land. Can't just say that being up in the sky makes it a legendary. Ho-Oh has been seen by humans! By both Ash and an army of humans three hundred years ago.

The people of the Pokémon world know that every legendary Pokémon exists. All have been seen by at least one human at one point in history. And there is your loop-hole in your theory of Ho-Oh.

Only one? Only one of the Legendary Beasts. You have to credit them as legendary too if you credit Ho-Oh as one.

Location? In the sky. But was originally living on the planet in the towers of Ecruteak City. Location pinpointed. And the Legendary Beasts don't have a set location either. You have to count them as legendary.

Not been seen? Been seen twice in a span of three hundred years.

Mew is Legendary due to the fact that it "created" every Pokémon. Thus, it has Legendary powers, and should be a Legendary.

Celebi is a Legendary. It has the power to travel through time. Your average Rattata can't do that, can it? One aspect of it does not deem it un-legendary. You must look at all the facts.

Rayquaza is iffy. It has the powers to stop Groudon and Kyogre from battling. Not a lot has really been covered on the emerald dragon.

As for Lugia, what? Did you miss the second movie? It defended off the powers of the three birds and basically stopped the world from being destroyed. Is that what you would call weak? The only reason the one in the Whirl Islands was captured was because it was worried for its child. If you have your eyes set on winning back the most precious thing in the world to you, you aren't going to be up to snuff for battling.

Oh, and I agree with you 100% on your last part of your post, Rioku_Zanketa. You don't have to be god-like to be legendary. You just got to make the best with what you have.

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • Hanako Tabris: Yes, I did watch movie 2 fyi.. the only movie that I haven't watched would be the 8th movie (lucario).

As for the Ho-oh saved Ash part, it was only a rumour, and IMO, rumours do run around legendaries..

Yes, Ho-oh was seen by Ash and an army 300 years ago, but 300 years ago.. we do not know for sure if something like that really happened 300 years ago.. I don't think people in the anime can confirm 100% whether Ho-oh does really exist.. they just believed it exists (just a crazy thought: what if Ho-oh was a mirage or something? the one Ash saw was a 'mirage Ho-oh'? I know.. wild guess)It is so much rarer seen than the other pokemon.. it's almost like, now you see Ho-oh, now you don't...

Also, I'm not totally stereotyping that legendaries have god-like powers, just that, they should at least possess some super strong and unique abilities. I mean, you can't have a celebi that has the same physical status as a ratata.. there's more to its power..

--- --- ---
    As for Rioku's
    uh,..we know all the others exist as well..what's your point?...
    and
    even so,he still is a poke'mon nevertheless.....as as the first movie stated "He is the strongest poke'mon on earth"......they said it themselves...

Yes, we know they exist somehow, my point was that because Ho-oh was only seen by Ash and the army 300 years ago in the anime, no one can really confirm if Ho-oh existed.. The people in the anime believed in their existence, but no one (not even Ash), can confirm it.. Sometimes, when you thought you'd seen something, you actually didn't, so my theory actually works along that line for Ash's case of seeing Ho-oh..

As for the Mewtwo, I didn't say Mewtwo wasn't a pokemon.. what I meant was that it was created by humans from Mew's fossils, so it is unlikely IMO for it to be a legendary.. you said he was the strongest pokemon in the world, but then you said again that legendaries doesn't necessarily have god-like powers, so why are you bringing up the "he is the strongest pokemon on Earth"...?

Hmmm. I think this thread is becoming a mini debate.. lols. But it's interesting ^^

Toothache

Deepsea Toothache
    Years
  • Something no-one has mentioned that adds an interesting twist to the debate. Arcanine's Pokedex entry lists it as a Legendary Type. Arcanine are neither elusive that there are a few/only one of them or superpowerful like Mewtwo (although they do have high overall stats, but a limited movepool balances this out).

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • hmmmm, after all these, don't you think Nintendo should properly define what 'legendary' is? perhaps if they could give us a proper definition, we wouldn't be having this debate.. argh, but they'll never have the time to bother about this little thread here.. ><;;

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    #1 Latias said:
    Are you talking about in the 8th movie? If so, that wasn't Ho-oh, it was Mew who transformed into Ho-oh.

In the Master Quest episode "For Ho-Oh the Bells Toll", Eusine told Team Twerp the "story" of the Legendary Beasts' creation. He said that 300 years ago, during a great war, an army stormed the Tin Tower to steal Ho-Oh's powers for themselves. They burned down the tower. Three Pokemon were stuck inside the tower and they died. So Ho-Oh revived them, giving them new life as Suicune, Raikou, and Entei. Later evidence of this is told in "Pop Goes the Sneasel", in which Harrison(I'm not sure if it was him who told it, or the sage, but...) told about the fire burning the land, and Ho-Oh reviving that too.

By the way, 300 years ago probably means that there was the concept of writing in the Pokemon world. We know Columbus sailed around the world over 500 years ago. The American Constitution was written over 200 years ago. Unless the Pokemon world is really slow, then they could have written documents of that day.

You say that a Legendary should have a unique power. They all do. (One could argue the trios and possilbly the Latis, but the others do.) Ho-Oh has the power to create new life, Lugia calms nature in a sense, Celebi travels through time, Mew also can create life, Groudon/Kyogre can create land/water, Rayquaza stopped that feud, Deoxys can change form and comes from space, and Mewtwo is the strongest Pokemon ever created. You can't really deny the fact that he is a Pokemon, because they have no other creatures in that world other than humans. Besides, that was the point of the first movie: That no matter the circumstances of your birth, you are all equal. (I can argue the Hoenn Pokemon. I don't really know much about them. Johto yes, Hoenn no.)

Really, Nintendo defined what legendary is: The ones that take a lot of Pokeballs to catch, and the ones with uber-stats. The ones that fall under this category are the Pokes up for arguement.

Volta.

NEEDS A NEW AVATAR@&$^@
    Years
  • Hanako Tabris said:
    Really, Nintendo defined what legendary is: The ones that take a lot of Pokeballs to catch, and the ones with uber-stats. The ones that fall under this category are the Pokes up for arguement.

:laugh: I suppose u could say that! They're a real drain on our economy!

miyo

grass pokemon trainer
    Years
  • Hanako Tabris said:

o.. I didn't know they had a definition for it.. but I think it's not a very good definition if you ask me.. I mean, there are still pokemon that has good stats and are hard to catch.. Perhaps I can't argue much about the 'good stats' part, but the 'takes a lot of pokeball to catch', I'd beg to differ.. Even a slugma can take you quite some a number of pokeball to capture it.. o.o

Back