• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Looking for ppl for my Pkmn Fan fiction

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 4, 2007
    I am looking for ppl to be in my story.... plz fill out the following so I know how to write your character in my story...

Name: (characters name)
    eye color:
    Picture of Character:

Personality:
    Pokemon:

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years
  • I hate to sound like a nag, but...what do you hope to achieve with this topic? Anyone competent enough to come up with a usable character is also confident enough in their writing skills to cut out the middle man and write the dang fic themselves while the few who would offer anything to this kind of thing are the ones whose 'characters' are five-second slapdash jobs, the likes of which you could easily mass-produce yourself by combining a random name generator and a list of anime clichés. -.-

Anyway, I haven't seen you provide anything of your own to this thus far, so why should anyone give you the products of their creativity to you? Would you even credit them? Somehow I doubt it. Also, if you're going to go asking around for all the characters in your story, can you really call it yours anymore? The folks here are quite ready to discuss ideas with you, offer improvement suggestions to them and your writing and if you ask nicely some will probably even agree to proofread your writing before you post it, but don't expect us to do your work for you. If it's your story then the setting and the characters in it are yours and yours alone to create.

Alter Ego

that evil mod from hell
    Years

...what? No-one here is out to make you feel bad about yourself, we just want you to read the rules of the forum and act according to them. As for this thread per-say, I wanted to find out what you hoped to achieve. Like I said, it's not your fanfic if you don't have anything of your own in it (which, thus far, you don't) and asking others to give you the integral parts of your story (Especially without even knowing what that story is) isn't going to do you any good. Think about it for a while and you'll see what I mean. :\

Really, go read the fanfic guide and the fanfic section rules before you post topics like this, they will help you loads.

Years
    • Age 36
    • Seen Jul 4, 2007

...what? No-one here is out to make you feel bad about yourself, we just want you to read the rules of the forum and act according to them. As for this thread per-say, I wanted to find out what you hoped to achieve. Like I said, it's not your fanfic if you don't have anything of your own in it (which, thus far, you don't) and asking others to give you the integral parts of your story (Especially without even knowing what that story is) isn't going to do you any good. Think about it for a while and you'll see what I mean. :\

Really, go read the fanfic guide and the fanfic section rules before you post topics like this, they will help you loads.

well I have about 5 or 6 characters that I have of my own I just need more characters that all.

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
  • If you need inspiration to get ideas for more characters then I suggest reading other fics for ideas. If you go that way though, you must remember not to copy other people's characters, but rather think about ways you would have made a character for a certain part or maybe the kind of person it would have been nice to see react to a certain situation.

Making characters up takes time, because characters need to be three-dimensional and not only have likes or dislikes but likenesses and quirks as well. Each of us as real people have our own speech patterns (I tend to say "though", "anyways", and "well" a lot) that make us different. People have irrational fears of things (for me it's flying insects that come near my face ._.), and they have things that make them flawed (like I give in too easy to people who want favors, and I also like to control things too much XD).

Having five or six characters is a good start, but just take it easy and spend some time thinking up others. Asking for people to make up characters for you, as Alter mentioned, is going to give you a bunch of characters that probably won't be very good.

Anyway, just my two cents because to me, characters are the funnest part of the story. ^^;

Scales

Man of Infinite Jest
    Years
  • Well I dont want to bring this writer down. I want to help out

Name: Cain Ritham
    Hair color: Black
    eye color: Cerulean
    Picture of Character:
    cainex9xr9.png

Personality: Cain rarely talks to people about his problems. He is usualy talkative but he usualy forgets what he is talking about and keeps changing the subject. The only one who doesnt get annoyed with him is his pokemon. He feels that his pokemon is the one thing he can relait to. He loves to talk to his pokemon about how his day was or how he could beat the next trainer. His basic personality traites are bold, adament and hasty. Yet Cain does show his cowardly side occasionaly. But mostly he is either planning something or charging in head first not knowing of the things ahead
    Dislikes: Cities, Annoying pokemon
    Pokemon: Blaziken, Pigeott, Tyranitar, Ampharos, Alakazam, Tentacruel

Look at my roleplays if you want more inspiration on how my character acts

Frostweaver

Ancient + Prehistoric
    Years
  • The nature of the last reply directly points out why a 'request for characters' do not work for fanfic.

"Look at my roleplays."

That line speaks the truth... now this sounds far more like a roleplay than a fanfic. How can you fully navigate and develop the characters in your story if they are not yours to begin with?

Especially with a "personality" fixed in stone, you're forced to adjust the story to the characters, instead of using characters to express what you're trying to say. We're on the wrong end of the motive. A role play is to use existing characters, and together through them, create a plot out of it. Fanfiction and story are the other way around. You weave a story, and bend the characters if necessary in order to get the point across.

In conclusion...
    -role play uses characters and see what kind of a point will come out of it
    -fanfic wants to express a point and will bend everything in the world if that's what it needs to get the point across

Wrong motive... wrong motive...

5 or 6 characters are probably far more than enough already. Usually, there's at most a few (perhaps just 3) main characters, along with a few minor cast support. For these types of characters, I recommand you to "make them as you need them." You don't know how the story will turn out as of now most likely, and depending on what you want them to do, they will have to look different or be named differently depending on the context and the situation. Minor cast supports don't require too much planning in the beginning, I think, since the story usually crafts half of their characteristics by default. You just need to fine-tune it later at the very end in the proofreading step when you pick up your own connections within your writing.

As for the rest who are highly disposable to only appear in a few lines, a random name without even character description can do (because they are that unimportant.) Heck with it, just a random title will do, and just screw the name altogether.

Personally, I'm against Light Azumarill's ideas for reading other fanfics for inspiration... more than likely, you'll get more than just inspiration, and in the end, just totally suck the character from this other fanfic, and do a "copy+paste" of it into your story, essentially changing your story to be more alike to the fanfic that you've just read (therefore, losing originality.) If you're suffering from writer's block, the best solution is actually just to stare at it, and write out the "crap" that you think is horrible... A writer came to speak of his writing experience in my university class once, and he said that usually some sense comes out of the nonsense you write up when you think that you can't write anything.

Light_Azumarill

Danny Phantom!
    Years
  • Personally, I'm against Light Azumarill's ideas for reading other fanfics for inspiration... more than likely, you'll get more than just inspiration, and in the end, just totally suck the character from this other fanfic, and do a "copy+paste" of it into your story, essentially changing your story to be more alike to the fanfic that you've just read (therefore, losing originality.) If you're suffering from writer's block, the best solution is actually just to stare at it, and write out the "crap" that you think is horrible... A writer came to speak of his writing experience in my university class once, and he said that usually some sense comes out of the nonsense you write up when you think that you can't write anything.

Er... yeah, you're right about that. XD I thought that if I added the part about being careful not to copy other characters then she would have the sense to keep herself in check; but yeah, it's probably too tempting.

And Frostweaver brought up another good point, gragondora; how many of these 5/6 characters are your main cast? You never specified if some were the protagonists or antagonists or support... I mean, if they're all main protagonists, then that's going to be a hard thing to write well. @.@

Back