• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

#Free_Pokemon FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

jj984jj

Elite Beat Fansubber
Years
  • #Free_Pokemon FAQ:

What is #Free_Pokemon?
    #Free_Pokemon is a chat room, known as a "channel", on IRC (Internet Relay Chat).

What are the Rules for the chat?
    Rules for #Free_Pokemon:

RULES
    #Free_Pokemon - irc.dejatoons.net

The OPs (the people with the "@" by their names) are the final interpreters of the rule and clarifications.

Conduct yourself in a mature, respectful and courteous manner.

The official language for the channel is English. If you speak and/or type English, please do so in the channel. Japanese is used in the channel on occation, but please limit most conversations to english.

No whining about channel policies.

No insults, being rude, or general picking on people.

No trolling, name-calling, starting fights, etc.

No racism or bigotry will be tolerated.

No bashing people's religion-of-choice -- freedom of religion means ANY religion.

No cybersex / looking for sex partners / explicit sex talk / heavy flirting / pr0n.

No ban evasion or other circumventions of rules.

No offensive nicks. If an op asks you to change your nick, then it's considered offensive.

No telling the Ops how to do their jobs.

Channel takeover attempts, flooding, bot cloning, and other things generally frowned upon in the *sensible* IRC world are also not allowed here.

Do not beg for files. Do not ask publicly for files within the channel - unless you are at least a voiced user. ONLY Voiced Users (people serving files with a "+" in the channel) can request files.

DO NOT TYPE IN ALL CAPS, IT'S ANNOYING AND THE EQUIVALENT OF SHOUTING. You will be kicked for doing so.

No Spamming/Flooding - We define flooding as more then 3 messages or more in 5 seconds. We also consider messages with no content/meaning spam.

No begging for OPS/ADMIN - If you ask to become a channel operator, you WILL be kicked. If you really want to become an OP, you must prove to us over an extended period of time that you are responsible and reliable. Otherwise, DON'T EVEN ASK!

No excessive Advertising - You may want to inform people of certain files, Feel free to, although excessive advertising will be met with a kick, or even a ban.

No excessive Name Changes - Once you enter the IRC channel with one nick, please stick with that nick for the remainder of your time in the channel (unless it's absolutely necessary).

IRC COMMANDS/COLOURS - Please limit your usage of colours and other IRC specific commands

If you set up an fserve

1) You must set to silent.
    2) Triggers must be /ctcp

What is IRC?
    Internet Relay Chat aka IRC was made in the late 1980s and has become one of the most popular ways of communication across the Internet today.

Is it just for chatting?
    No, IRC also has a system to transfer files, called DCC. DCC allows you to send and receive files from anyone using IRC at the time. In addition, DCC allows you to open a private conversation with another user, so it is not necessary to repeatedly send messages if you are having an extended conversation with just one person.

Okay now that you have an idea of what #Free_Pokemon is, let's try and get you there. To join an IRC channel, you need a IRC program or client and a connection to the Internet. The most popular IRC client for windows is mIRC, which can be found here. You might also want to try SysReset. Then when you have downloaded and installed the program, run it and type "/server irc.rizon.net -j #free_pokemon" in the box at the bottom. This is after that dialogue has popped up and you type in a name, a e-mail, and 2 nick-names. Note: your name and e-mail don't have to be real.

What about if I don't have windows?
    Well there is a solution to that as well. It is quite simple, there are IRC clients available for every OS. A popular client for the Mac is IRCLE, you can get that here. Or if your on linux then you can find links to various clients here.

For more information on how to connect please consult the guides on these websites:
    http://www.freepokemon.com/
    http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=856
    http://www.excalibur-fansubs.tk/ #Excalibur Guides
    http://www.kasshin.net/ Kirika's IRC Guides
    These websites also have guides on how to download and even share files on IRC.

Hope to see you on there. :)

Edit: i will modify this FAQ in the future if I see or get more questions on IRC.

Last edited by a moderator:

jj984jj

Elite Beat Fansubber
    Years
  • Unfortunately you do for mIRC, unless you find a simple crack somewhere but I don't want to recommend anything people aren't willing to do, there are certainly other clients for IRC that you can use on windows for free, you can find those on http://www.newircusers.com/clients.html. However, mIRC is by far the most popular.

Years
  • too confusing to use i went to that website many times but i was jsut too confused w/ the whole thing, maybe if it was jsut easier to understand...

Years
  • its just too scary and confusing... is it even that fun... finding a bad irc jsut so i dont ahve to pay for an mirc is kind of cheap of me (im not jewish so dont even start). im sorry but maybe if you go to May's Tochic Club, youll understand what i mean... jsut read the posts and see how much funner life is w/o the mirc!

jj984jj

Elite Beat Fansubber
    Years
  • The only reason it's confusing is because your not giving it a chance, there are plenty on ways to get on... I can safely say you don't know what your talking about all your saying is it's confusing but you have nothing to back it up with. It's like me saying posting is confusing, why? because I dunno how. That is exactly what your saying. I mean if you can tell me what confuses you then i can help, but if you can't even figure that out then I dunno what to say to that.

Rose Flame

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2004
    OK, I followed the instructions for downloading mIRC, successfully joined the #free_pokemon place and all of the jumble you said would pop up did. My question is, what does it mean? How do I find the episode that I'm looking for? I didn't enter in any of the file names because I was afraid that it would start downloading it before I got any info on it. Is that how it works?

jj984jj

Elite Beat Fansubber
    Years
  • Well, somewhat, see, it is true you must know the title of the episode your looking for at least, because that's really all that will be offered. The only thing assured on IRC, is that they won't be fake.
    Anyway, with that question out of the way, I really haven't stated much on download, I was telling you how to get there. But I can quote a part of Kirika's wonderful leeching guide for you.
    What is a File Server?
    A File Server is a place where one can download files off of someone's Server. A File Server in IRC is used by typing a trigger to enter the server, then one can request files for download, if possible.
    Typing !list in the channel(#Free_pokemon) will give you a list of ads(the File Servers) from which you choose which one you would like to download from. :)

A typical File Server Ad will be like this:

-Kirika- [Fserve Active] - Trigger:[ !Trigger] - Sends:[2/2] - Queues:[17/20] - Record CPS:[67.2kB/s by Bob] - Upload Speed:[60.6kB/s] - Message:[- Come look at my stuff!!! -] - SysReset 2.51

In this case, one knows this is a file server because of the first section where it says Fserve Active. The way to get inside the file server, is by typing the trigger. Here, the trigger is !Trigger, shown in the second part of the File Server Ad. Triggers are to be typed in the channel in order to access the File Server. Triggers can be anything, even a whole sentence like "I screw donkeys for fun". Usually they have a "!" next to them, for the non-silent ones.

Some other scripts use File Server Online or Fserve Online or something like that. File Server Ads usually display this and the trigger information. Sometimes they also tell you a bit more information, like the Sends and Queues.

Sends is the number of uploads the File Server allows, and how many are sending at the moment. In this case, there are 2/2 sends, which means 2 sends running out of 2 maximum sends. This means that one would have to wait for another send to be available, if the fileserver has available queues.

Queues is the number of people waiting, out of the maximum number of people allowed to wait. In the example there are 17/20 queues, meaning 17 people in line out of 20 maximum people in line. Requesting a file at the moment would result in waiting in queue 18. That means one would have to wait for the 17 people to finish their downloads to start downloading from the file server. The amount of time to wait depends on the file server's upload speed, the type of files it is serving, and how fast the first queues finish downloading.

File Servers also usually have a message of some sort; in this case it is Come look at my stuff!!!. Some messages describe what is inside the file servers, some advertise what the File Server's owner is requesting, and some (like the one above) serve pretty much no purpose at all. There are also many other things the Ad can contain, like the Record CPS (Highest upload speed recorded), Upload Speed (How fast the server is uploading at at the moment), and many others. The last part of the Ad, (SysReset 2.51) is the script's name given by the programmer, and the version. Each script functions pretty much the same, but most of them look different from eachother.

If a file server has two triggers, they are usually seperated by an "&". Some triggers are silent and begin with /ctcp. They are usually in the format [/ctcp <file server> <something> ] ( Exclude the < >'s and the [ ]'s when typing the trigger ). An example would be /ctcp Kirika anime fserve.These do not show up on the channel, and only the user and the file server know that the user typed it.
    Have fun downloading. :D Hope this has helped and you find what your looking for. :cool:

Rukario

Banned
    Years
  • Hey now.. don't forget about the (not real good) IRC client built into Mozilla web browers.. (Chatzilla) It will get you on IRC and at least you can get comphy before buying mIRC or something.

Years
    • Seen Jul 5, 2004
    I'm new to mIRC and I've been having some trouble. I go into the #Free_Pokemon room, I type in "!list", I enter the trigger, and text shows up saying "searching for modes". But nothing happens after that. How does one actually download the files?

I'm read the FAQs and I'm still confused.

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
  • Hate to bump, but could someone fix the server settings in the first post? It still says that we're on the atomicchat one. =/

Jeikobu

God's beloved child
    Years
  • What the heck is going on? I can't get into #free_pokemon. It's telling me "#free_pokemon You're not on that channel. You need a registered nick to join that channel." What gives?

aRedMoon

Wait for me outside the lines
    Years
  • You need to register your nick now. -.-;;

/msg nickserv register password e-mail

After you've registered

/msg nickserv identify password

Then you can go into the channel.

Heracross214

Legendary Dude
    Years
  • OK, I need some serious help. I dowloaded Ircle and now I have no idea what to do. There's four little windows, Console, Userlist, Connections, and Inputline. I think I'm logged in but I can't tell and I have no idea what I'm doing.

PGN

I am now PGNFounder
    Years
  • Heracross214 said:
    OK, I need some serious help. I dowloaded Ircle and now I have no idea what to do. There's four little windows, Console, Userlist, Connections, and Inputline. I think I'm logged in but I can't tell and I have no idea what I'm doing.

On "Console", type:

/server irc.dejatoons.net
    *wait for it to connect*
    /join #free_pokemon
    And you're there!

f!Re

Shige's #1 fan
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2006
    hmm... i was like downloading the episodes and then i lag out. when i try to resume the download, it wouldn't work! instead i had to overwrite it for the connection to start... that really waste alot of my time... is it just me or what...?

heracross... read the above posts to see how to download the episodes.

PGN

I am now PGNFounder
    Years
  • Heracross214 said:
    OK, that works fine, but how do I actually download the episodes I want?
    Type !list and enter an fserve [/ctcp <fserve trigger>] and type 'help' in the fserve for commands.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back