• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Question: Are we able to find out where we receive reputation from?

Ripper

The Dark Knight
Years
  • It doesn't show up in our rep page, so I assume we aren't supposed to know, but I'm not 100% sure if this is the case. There isn't a real answer in the FAQ.

Last edited:
    Years
  • As far as I know, no, but then again, it could prevent flame wars from starting if somebody gives someone a negative rep, and they get angry.

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Like Mence Master said, it's probably best not to know who's given you negative reputation. It could cause a lot of problems, even amongst friends. I sometimes write my name at the end of the comments when giving positive rep, though.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • Only Staff have the privilege of seeing who gave them reputation. As it has been said before the idea behind only letting staff see who gave them rep is because there are those members who would end up staring personal flame wars against someone who gave them bad reputation for no reason.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Indeed. The reputation system is better when it's anonymous. And the only reason that Staff can see who gave you rep is because if someone DOES leave a really inappropriate or flame-ish rep message, The giver of the rep can be held accountable for it.

If you could see who gave you rep, nothing stops you from giving them bad rep in return, thus starting a rep war. (This is why you have to give rep to 25 other people before being able to rep that person again) Or worse, a flame war could arise, and burn brightly in VMs and PMs as well as threads too.

Also, rep is something you earn. If PC didn't regulate how rep can be given, it'd be worse than it was the first time we had rep. Many people abused it and they had an insanely unfair amount of rep. (Way more than they ever deserved) because they'd just gather 10-20 friends and start a rep ring, spamming the rep system.

I dont think Rep Ringing is still allowed. I'm sure the staff would edit your rep and possibly infract you and take away your ability to give/receive rep. By now, Anyone who ISN'T a staff member and has more than 2-3 pips of rep (~200-300 points) probably has had their reputation checked by the staff.

I'm glad the staff finally got around to giving rep a second chance. It really IS a useful system when the proper checks and balances are in place to prevent it from being abused.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Well, I read your question, yes you can find out where you receive your rep. Just not from who. It tells you the thread that you get it from, and links to it. They, were just talking about if you were able to see who gave you the rep. Toodles~

Back