• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Weird Noises

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
Years
  • Maybe this has always been here and I just haven't noticed. But I minimized a window and I hear a very faint noise. A little squeaky, but more electronic. But very faint, I could barely hear it. I tried again, by maximizing. A different, the same but backwards. So, conveniently enough, one made a minimizing noise and one made a maximizing noise. I tried again this time with my speakers turned up to the point where you usually just here muffly noises. I could here the squeaky sounds when I minimized and maximized. I went to my sound scheme to see if anything was different. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, but I restored the default settings anyway. And then I restarted...

The sounds are still here. I'm using Windows XP. And before you suggest it, yes I have SP2. I have no viruses, spyware, or anything. I perform spyware and virus scans on a weekly basis along with defrag and removing temp files. In fact, I just ran Ad-Aware today.

Any idea what's causing the sounds? Or have they always been there and I never noticed? My brother was studying so there were no TVs on or any noise at all. That's probably why I caught the noise.

-----

On a side not, I just used Windows and Office Update and used the Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool and hopefully fixed any vulnerbilities that there were as I was typing this. Maybe this will fix the noise, I don't know. I'm off to restart the computer.

EDIT: Okay. I can confirm that I am positive I have never heared these noises before. And it's not just minimize and maximize, either. Restore down, close, and even the buttons in Avant Browser (maybe, I've never used them until I decided to check.) - Cascade All Windows, Tile All Windows Horizontaly, Tile All Windows Vertically, Maximize All, Close All Windows, Minimize, Restore and Close.

Last edited:

Soph

Chasing Arcanine with a spoon XD
    Years
  • O_o that is WEIRD...*tests with the system she is using which has XP*

O_o I cant hear anything even on full volume...

aaaaaa

The problem is with the sound scheme. Windows XP doesn't turn on its sound scheme by default. So when you set it back to 'default scheme', it actually turned on a buinch of sounds you'd never heard before.
    Go back into that menu and turn 'em off, I reckon.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • a1337a - No good. I actually tried something else first. I set it to know sounds. All the sounds ceased, except for minimize and maximize. (Turns out there's no sound from the Avant buttons, I was hearing things)

EDIT: I've also set it to mute and the sounds remain.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • - .] 5cếpt?lế }} said:
    try turning off line-in, mic ect sometimes they give interference when you move windows ect
    When I set it to mute earlier, I set it ALL to mute. Volume Control, Wave, SW Synth, Analog, CD Player, Microphone, and Line In.

BTW, I still have the sounds.

Thanks to everybody who has tried to help, and thanks in advance to everybody who will.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • Possibly...it is rather beepy. And rather unlike the actual noises that Windows uses for everything else. But they are also noises because when actually makes a kinda telltale noise of minimizing and then for maximizing it's like played in reverse.

aaaaaa

I've learnt quite quickly to ignore any advice 'Maca' gives people.
    He doesn't know anything, he's kinda like the AOL of Computer Geeks.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • a1337a said:
    I've learnt quite quickly to ignore any advice 'Maca' gives people.
    He doesn't know anything, he's kinda like the AOL of Computer Geeks.
    When he first mentioned it, sticky keys came to mind. But I've turned that feature off before.

Geometric-sama

The Manly Man of Steel
    Years
  • *notes that I use AOL and hate it*

Only keep it for the chats and stuff now, plus with their stupid proprietary system I have to use it for email .... I use Firefox for browsing XD

Back