• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Encarta 1993-2009

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    http://encarta.msn.com/guide_page_FAQ/FAQ.html
    http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2009/03/microsoft-to-kill-encarta-later-this-year.ars

Microsoft is killing Encarta. It makes me sad. Encarta was a true friend back in the day, always supporting me during those long nights before an assignment was due, back before I had the internet. I learnt so much from it as well. Even MindMaze was a blast.

So many good times were had with Encarta. Now they'll never happen again.

Goodnight, sweet prince. I'll always love you.

Years
  • Aww, i too remember the days of Encarta. True it has been made totally obsolete by the internet and in the last 5 years or so Wikipedia definitely. Wikipedia is grand and all but it really is just a mammoth wall of text, with pictures and sound clips thrown in which is all very well, and probably the best you can get due to it's nature as a wiki. I literaly have hardly touched Encarta in over 5 years but i can still imagine how visualy appealing it would be to read, with proper movie clips and all proffessional etc, just like a good textbook.

Totally inevatable, shame things couldn't be different.

Years
  • I last used the '06 edition. It was a great resource, especially considering I used to have limited net access.

Fun fact: a lot of schools and universities won't let you use Wikipedia.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I last used the '06 edition. It was a great resource, especially considering I used to have limited net access.

Fun fact: a lot of schools and universities won't let you use Wikipedia.
    Good Wikipedia articles cite most all of their claims. You can just use the pages they cite for the most part. That's how I got around it in high school.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • ;_______; RIP ENCARTA. YOU GOT ME THROUGH SO MANY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PROJECTS. I will never forget you. (Okay I probably will but whenever I remember you I will wibble and miss you.)

But yeah, Encarta was my lifeline as a kid. I was too lazy to start projects early and take out library books and whatnot so I used Encarta 95 or something. It was such a godsend. I also adored the game that came with it (Mindmaze, I guess, though I'd never remember the name on my own XD) to the point where I memorized almost every possible question in it. I loved Encarta.

Too bad by high school, Google was so easy to use and then Wiki came along. :( Weren't allowed to use Wiki as a source but twocows has the right idea.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    What the foo is encarta?

Aww... sounded nice :(. I could sure have had good use for it in this fiery hell time of school.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Anyone complaining about how some places won't take Wikipedia may want to check out any of the list of online encyclopedias found, ironically, on Wikipedia. Hutchinson Encyclopedia looked the most promising, but it only has around 75 thousand articles.

In other news, I hated Encarta. I don't remember why, I just remember I hated it. I even used hard encyclopedias over it. Then came Wikipedia and my love affair with it. <3

Back